Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Reading about Taurus being the unstoppable force is interesting. Like the other person up thread I didn’t realize it was so mandatory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Woah, woah! Juice!?! I didn't know you were one of those Bort reform people. You monster.

I had to, given your other name ideas

E: also upon review thundershock is unchanged, so that was just a bonkers Pikachu or you got some really bad dudes for your first few.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 28, 2022

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

girl dick energy posted:

...while editing this update, I also realized that Vortiene seems to have removed or delayed Pidgey learning Sand Attack until later, replacing it with Tackle and a newly Flying-type Gust. It's a very good change, and one I never would've thought of. Otherwise, two-thirds of the Route 1 Pokemon would have an accuracy-dropping move and that sounds awful.[/i]

Broken [/i] tag here.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Blaze Dragon posted:

Broken [/i] tag here.
Thank you! I'll fix it now.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
So to be clear, the trade evolutions are obtainable normally in game? Like, I assume through npc trades or something.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Drakenel posted:

So to be clear, the trade evolutions are obtainable normally in game? Like, I assume through npc trades or something.
They've been modified to evolve by level. At 37, if memory serves. (I remember because it was a weirdly specific but seemingly arbitrary level.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
You just skipped right over this, are those entirely new menu sprites? They sure aren't the ones from gen 2 or anything, that's crazy!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I think they mentioned it when going over rom settings. One of the options was expanding that sprite set

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, I'm hardly an expert even on gen 1, one of the few that I've played, but I don't remember Zesty's, Also Ran's, or Foxbox's sprites. Javelin's and Juice's, though, I'm pretty sure are vanilla.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Can you please tell us what you name each Pokémon as you catch them? Your silly naming convention brings me great joy and I need more of it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

You just skipped right over this, are those entirely new menu sprites? They sure aren't the ones from gen 2 or anything, that's crazy!

They are! I’ll expand on the option in the first update and edit some images from the second into it as examples.

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Can you please tell us what you name each Pokémon as you catch them? Your silly naming convention brings me great joy and I need more of it.
Can do! I don’t have any screenshots of it right now, but the only name we haven’t seen yet is the Pikachu named GNRLELCTRC (call Lt. Surge that next time you’re mad at him) and the Venonat whose name I actually forget off the top of my head, but I’ll probably come up with something funnier by the time I actually use him.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I realized just waiting until the end deprives both me and my audience of seeing how my views evolve over the course of the game, which is half the fun of a blind LP. So, next update will be about Pewter City and me grinding up for the gym, and the update after that will be the gym itself, and my thoughts about all the changes I've encountered so far. I figure breaking it up by badges is as good an arbitrary separation point as any.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 29, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Route 03: COOL It, KID!

Last time, I mentioned that I've got a bit more grinding to do before I'm comfortable challenging Brock, but I might as well make a quick update out of poking around Pewter first. Gotta use the Center to heal up anyways, right? Maybe I'll find something interesting or another QoL improvement.

Any inconsistencies you find in this update are definitely not from me rearranging the order of events during the editing process to provide a more cohesive narrative. :ssh:

A couple of different NPCs mention the Museum at the back of town, including someone who left their wallet there, and one guy who physically drags my rear end over to the doorway when I say I haven't been in yet. So, whatever's in here, Vortyne really, really wants me to see.

Ground floor's still the same, including the pocket change entry fee. I checked, and the fossils don't add Kabutops or Aerodactyl to my Pokedex as Seen, sadly.

On the top floor, though, there's this weirdly cool kid. (COOL KIDs hang out at museums, right?) He won't give back the wallet unless we beat him in a battle, and he doesn't take no for an answer. If I hadn't dropped into the Center before coming here, I might've been worried.

But I did, and ZESTY and JUICE clean up without too much trouble.

Ah, some things never change. :allears:

Getting back the wallet and taking it to the house at the bottom left corner of town gets us a new KEY ITEM mentioned in the features list, the POCKET ABRA.

You can even nickname it! :3: (PABRA stands for Pocket ABRA)

Using it lets you access the same effect as using Teleport, even if you don't have any Pokemon who know the move. Given it also seems to work indoors, I think this might technically render the Escape Rope obsolete.

Rest of the town is pretty much the same, including a hidden vitamin I sell for more Pokeball money, and a kid who's lamenting the lack of TMs for sale. Supposedly, he'll be doing something about it once he and his dad get to the next town...

If we're gonna meet him there, we'll need to beat Brock, and if we're going to beat Brock, we'll need to get stronger. Let's head back to Viridian Forest and abuse some local wildlife.

I'm glad I got more Balls, because I run into a couple new Pokemon on the far side of Route 2, each of which have some changed moves. Roar now does damage with a chance to drop the opponent's Attack, while Wrap still has the Gen 1 style trapping, but only lasts 2-3 turns instead of 3-7.

I'll be looking into the specifics of these changes later, so FRANKFUR the Growlithe and BOOOOOOOOY the Ekans (pronounced 'long boy') are added to our Pokedex and potential team options.

As are Beedrill and Butterfree! Beedrill seems to have been buffed very slightly, stat-wise, though it's hard to tell at this level, and his only attacking move is still the... disappointing Poison Sting, with his new Level 10 move being Focus Energy.

Butterfree's much more interesting, with its almost useless Flying-type changed out for Psychic, and learning Psywave on evolution instead of Confusion. In the base game, Psywave is a move similar to Seismic Toss, dealing semi-random damage, but having just seen two changed moves, I can't say for sure that it hasn't been modified as well. Honestly, I kind of really hope it has, because that even lower Attack worries me...

Guess we'll find out soon!

Next Time: I share my opinions unBIDE-n.

Current Team

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
I thought seismic toss was dealing damage equal to your level?

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
It is, though the comparison to Seismic Toss is still kinda apt - they both deal damage based on your level, but Seismic Toss deals damage exactly equal to your level, while Psywave deals completely random damage, equal to a value between and including 1 and [your level × 1.5] (in Gen I and II, at least).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

LiefKatano posted:

It is, though the comparison to Seismic Toss is still kinda apt - they both deal damage based on your level, but Seismic Toss deals damage exactly equal to your level, while Psywave deals completely random damage, equal to a value between and including 1 and [your level × 1.5] (in Gen I and II, at least).
Yep! It's also another glitched move banned from competitive in Gen 1, too! Because of a rounding error, Psywave can cause desyncs in link battles when it tells one player the Pokemon was KOed and the other player that it survived with 1 HP left. (The situation required to make this happen is basically never going to come up by accident, but it theoretically could.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 29, 2022

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
In anticipation of the next update, i'm reading your previous showing.

"Step eleven, stand in the shower for forty-five minutes wondering how your life brought you to this point." I get to this step every time I get the idea of replaying old pokémon games, so I greatly appreciate you doing it for me instead :)

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I can't believe at this young age, our DICK has already told someone to COOL IT

kid's got a bright future :hmmyes:

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!

girl dick energy posted:

Yep! It's also another glitched move banned from competitive in Gen 1, too! Because of a rounding error, Psywave can cause desyncs in link battles when it tells one player the Pokemon was KOed and the other player that it survived with 1 HP left. (The situation required to make this happen is basically never going to come up by accident, but it theoretically could.)

I think the cause of the desync is actually if it rolls a 0; for whatever reason that's a-OK on the defender's side but on the attacker's side it rerolls until it gets a non-zero number.

That's per Bulbapedia, though. It could be different!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

LiefKatano posted:

I think the cause of the desync is actually if it rolls a 0; for whatever reason that's a-OK on the defender's side but on the attacker's side it rerolls until it gets a non-zero number.

That's per Bulbapedia, though. It could be different!
Possibly! I was under the assumption that the problem was an off-by-one error on the defender's side (fitting in with a lot of RBY's bugs being common programming mistakes that just slipped through the cracks because of opaque systems and the lack of room for debugging tools) but I could be completely wrong.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
I think they actually unbanned Psywave and caused it to fail if it would desync recently because a desync issue that would actually affect the meta if it were just banned on sight was also discovered and it would be arbitrary to do one but not the other. I forget what exactly happened, though...

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Faillen Angel posted:

I think they actually unbanned Psywave and caused it to fail if it would desync recently because a desync issue that would actually affect the meta if it were just banned on sight was also discovered and it would be arbitrary to do one but not the other. I forget what exactly happened, though...

From what I recall hearing, it's something along the lines of "if it would desync, just make it fail entirely as if it were a 1/256 miss".

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The desync happens when a Pokemon uses a move when it hasn't selected any move. This can happen if a Pokemon switches in and gets frozen immediately, and then is hit by a Fire-type move from a faster opponent. From the perspective of the thawed Pokemon's Gameboy, it will use the last move that player selected (even if the move belonged to a different Pokemon). From the perspective of the other Gameboy, it will use the first move in its list. If a Pokemon gets KO'd in one Gameboy but not the other, the link battle breaks down. So, any move that would be desynchronous in Pokemon Showdown simply fails.

Anyway, I like this LP but I don't like the high-fidelity back sprites. Is this ROM bigger than what could fit on an actual Pokemon Blue cartridge?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Odd Wilson posted:

I can't believe at this young age, our DICK has already told someone to COOL IT

kid's got a bright future :hmmyes:
let's play Death Road to Viridian, gotcha

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Maybe this isn't as big of a deal in Gen 1, but aren't Ice moves with a chance to freeze huge in G1 because there is no counter to a frozen status? There is no 'Freeze Heal' item, and IIRC, pokemon can only have 1 status effect, making them immune to other effects. So if you are poisoned, you can't also be burned or paralyzed, right? And I don't think you can be un frozen by being hit from a fire attack in G1.

In theory, if you got super lucky and froze all your opponent's 'mon, that would be it right? Is there a move in G1 that forces your next 'mon to come out? Freeze, they swap, Freeze, they swap, repeat until it's you vs 6 ice cubes, and that's all she wrote. Again, I think that would have to be super lucky to pull it off, but is it enough of a chance that it could be viable if your opponent didn't know everything you are playing on your team?

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.
For in game playthroughs, Ice Heals exist for the player. In competitive, there's a freeze clause where only one Pokemon on a team can be frozen at a time. There are two ways to get thawed out without Ice Heals:

-getting hit by a Fire move that can burn (so Fire Spin won't do it). You seldom see Moltres roaming around and Tauros sometimes likes running Fire Blast for the Tauros mirror match as a 30% chance of burn makes the other Tauros considerably less threatening (I believe this is less applicable in UU because Tentacruel is the best Pokemon alongside Hypno, both don't really mind Moltres' shenanigans and Tauros is firmly OU. Every other Fire type is either NU or PU.)
-the opponent using Haze, which will never happen

But for in game, you could in theory freeze every single opponent assuming they aren't an ice type, yes. This would also apply for a link battle where no such amenities exist. Interestingly enough however, the freeze clause does exist for Stadium.

FlamingRok fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 30, 2022

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

CzarChasm posted:

Maybe this isn't as big of a deal in Gen 1, but aren't Ice moves with a chance to freeze huge in G1 because there is no counter to a frozen status? There is no 'Freeze Heal' item, and IIRC, pokemon can only have 1 status effect, making them immune to other effects. So if you are poisoned, you can't also be burned or paralyzed, right? And I don't think you can be un frozen by being hit from a fire attack in G1.

In theory, if you got super lucky and froze all your opponent's 'mon, that would be it right? Is there a move in G1 that forces your next 'mon to come out? Freeze, they swap, Freeze, they swap, repeat until it's you vs 6 ice cubes, and that's all she wrote. Again, I think that would have to be super lucky to pull it off, but is it enough of a chance that it could be viable if your opponent didn't know everything you are playing on your team?

A huge advantage of Freeze in Gen 1 is that it's essentially a KO, but the opponent has to either switch or give you some free moves. Some Pokemon like Chansey or Jynx can get a freeze, and then heal while the opponent is helpless.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Change of plans, incoming battle spot update will be about status conditions!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Battle Spot 03: What's Your Status?, Part 1

While working on the Lead Metagame post, I realized I was writing a long tangent about how important paralysis and sleep and even freeze chance are, and how players react to them. Those asides kept growing and growing, so I'm delaying that post, and making the status information its own post. This came just in time for the thread talking about Gen 1 freeze, which I'm going to pretend was a deciding factor in my decision and not just a happy coincidence.

Note: This update assumes that the reader already understands at least the basic mechanics of how status conditions work in Pokemon.

Because there's no easy way to rank the status conditions from least to most important, I'll just go through them in alphabetical order, talking about what inflicts it, what cares about it, and what kind of impact it has on the Gen 1 Metagame. (Primarily OU, because that's where most of my knowledge is, but also a bit in the lower tiers.)

Burned (BRN): In OU, burn is mostly applied by Tauros running Fire Blast specifically for that 30% burn chance against other Tauros, or the niche up-and-comer Moltres, who uses said Fire Blast as its main STAB option. Burn is in a weird place in Gen 1, because the penalty it applies can absolutely ruin some Pokemon like Rhydon or Tauros, or be such a non-factor for other Pokemon that it's almost a benefit because it blocks other, more dangerous status. (A burned Chansey is much harder to deal with than a paralyzed one.) It's a rather niche status, both because of that, and because of the risks you run by recklessly using Fire moves. (More on that when we get to Frozen.)

Confused (N/A): Confusion is what's called a 'volatile' status condition, because it goes away when you switch out. This massively hurts Confusion's viability, as it gives your opponent the decision of whether to play the odds and go for the hit, or switch out and come back in later. Yeah, things might go well, but it might accomplish nothing at all, and when you only have four moveslots, you generally wanna go for the reliable options, or the ones that are impactful enough to be worth the risk, i.e. Hypnosis and Sleep. The only Pokemon to have Confuse Ray as a serious recommended option is Golbat all the way down in PU, and even that's just because of Golbat's terrible movepool. (This same set also runs Screech.)

Flinched (N/A): Technically a volatile status condition, sort of. There are very few moves that apply Flinch in Gen 1, and the only ones you're likely to see are Low Kick and Stomp/Headbutt. (Rock Slide didn't get its flinch chance until Gen 2.) Because of its combination of mediocre moves, and poor distribution of those moves, you're unlikely to see it outside of semi-gimmick teams built around exploiting the combination of Flinch and Paralysis (coloquially, 'paraflinch') to lock down the enemy team for as long as possible and clean up in the endgame.

(This is, not coincidentally, also Machamp's only real niche in OU, as Low Kick has perfect accuracy and no recoil, unlike the unreliable Submission.)

Frozen (FRZ): Effectively a knockout, as there are only two conditions that can remove Freeze in a competitive battle: The opponent using Haze, or the opponent using a Fire move (besides Fire Spin, because Gen 1). This is, as you might imagine... not terribly common, and basically never happens deliberately. Freeze is in fact such a powerful status that simulators (and Pokemon Stadium!) implement a rule called Freeze Clause, preventing a second Pokemon from being frozen while there's already a FRZ mon on your team. A status this strong is worth trying to force to happen, and there are several OU Pokemon who regular run Ice Beam over Blizzard in no small part because the extra PP means more chances to try for a freeze, which can be worth the significant drop in power.

Leech Seeded (N/A): Leech Seed has a fascinating bug with Toxic where the two moves compound each other, and that might give it a niche, but Toxic doesn't get used much for reasons we'll get into, and Leech Seed itself is volatile and doesn't do that much damage/healing without the boost, which kind of leaves it without a use on the two Pokemon who can learn it. Now that Sleep has been banned from UU, Venusaur may start running it to try and differentiate itself from Victreebel, but more likely, it's just going to drop to NU and then go back to its old sets that use Sleep Powder instead.

I was gonna do all of them in one post, but this is getting long because I kept remembering other conditions I should cover, so I'll split it into two instead.

Next Battle Spot: Poisoned, Paralyzed, Sleeping, Substitute, and Trapped!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 1, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I almost wrote an entire paragraph about the tactics around what to do when a Pokemon is frozen, but that might be getting lost in the weeds a little bit.

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

For the longest time, Toxic was popular in UU just to try and stop Dragonite's Agility+Wrap combo, but now that Agility+partial trapping has been banned, it'll probably fall off. In NU, Toxic is still fairly common and is a good way to let Nidoking come in safely. I forgot to mention in my previous post that sleep is now banned in UU so this might affect Hypno's viability (not by much I imagine, it's still a really strong psychic type), so it might be worse than Dugtrio now.

On a slight tangent, Golbat is a top tier in the unofficial tier known as 7U which is based off of Pokemon Perfect's tiering system, mainly due to its stats being far and away better than anything else in the tier, and Confuse Ray, because Golbat's movepool was as girl dick energy mentioned, rear end. But the ability to speed tie Meowth and live two Slashes from it is attractive, and Mega Drain keeps it not walled by Rhyhorn.

In terms of Freeze...yeah it's covered pretty well here. Out of all the tiers, NU and PU are the most likely you could thaw something out, and stints in OU can have it happen too. Fire is unfortunately pretty bad in Gen 1.

FlamingRok fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 1, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I’m loving this help with covering the lower tiers, keep it up. Can I quote your post when I go over poison?

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

I'm complicit with referring to the lower tiers, status not exclusive.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I wonder if Lapras will come back to UU now that sleep (and therefore, Sing) is banned.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I have nothing to add to the mechanics, but just wanted to note that I'm enjoying the chat about both the top-tier and the lower tiers. Never was into the actual competitive scene (beyond a casual match here or there via Link Cable with a friend), but it's interesting reading.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Uber meta was an interesting puzzle of figuring out how to stop a Mewtwo. Mew, Chansey, Tauros, and Slowbro were significant players, and there were various Mewtwo builds to defeat a variety of threats. You could build your whole team around trying to paralyze and defeat Mewtwo, or wall it and freeze it.

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

I believe without sleep that Lapras is way too bulky still and will not hang in UU. If Lapras does manage to exist in UU however, it means Dewgong once again has nothing to do...which may as well be its life story. Every single time Dewgong is an option, Lapras is pretty much right there and is better in every way.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FlamingRok posted:

I believe without sleep that Lapras is way too bulky still and will not hang in UU. If Lapras does manage to exist in UU however, it means Dewgong once again has nothing to do...which may as well be its life story. Every single time Dewgong is an option, Lapras is pretty much right there and is better in every way.
You think so? Its stats are pretty comparable to Vaporeon's, aren't they? It seems like without Sing, it'd be a Vaporeon sidegrade that trades lower Special (but higher Defense) for STAB on Blizzard and access to Thunderbolt. And that lower Special means it's taking significantly more from Electabuzz T-Bolts than Vaporeon does.

Edit:

quote:

Electabuzz Thunderbolt vs. Vaporeon: 175-206 (37.7 - 44.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Electabuzz Thunderbolt vs. Lapras: 194-228 (41.9 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Hm, maybe not as much more as I thought. I would've sworn the T-Bolt would be a 2HKO.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 2, 2022

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I actually very recently joined the Smogon RBY Discord and have started playing more comp Gen 1 again to brush up my knowledge and get back on my game. My skills have… atrophied in the last couple years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Dewgong is straight up one of the... least Pokemon of all time. All sorts of terrible Pokemon, you can see what they're supposed to do. Not Dewgong. It does nothing. It is nothing. It continues to be nothing. For every Gen 1 'mon who gets absurd nostalgia and love and ridiculous moves in future generations, there is Dewgong.

Chamale posted:

The Uber meta was an interesting puzzle of figuring out how to stop a Mewtwo. Mew, Chansey, Tauros, and Slowbro were significant players, and there were various Mewtwo builds to defeat a variety of threats. You could build your whole team around trying to paralyze and defeat Mewtwo, or wall it and freeze it.

Shoutout to Golbat's tiny niche in RBY ubers, because the two fat psychic types mean Psychic itself is a worse attacking option, meaning Mew will often only run Earthquake and Explosion. And, y'know, wasting your Mew on a Golbat isn't a favorable trade. It's like if Porygon beating Snorlax was much, much worse.