Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Texas, USC, and Florida all have everything a coach could ever ask for. They have all those things that Nebraska allegedly lacks. But they still aren't winning conference championships. Perhaps those things aren't as important as they are hyped up to be?

Maybe a certain type of player wants to go somewhere their parents can get to on a moment's notice. Maybe some players want to go play at a school in the middle of nowhere because there aren't as many distractions. In the age of NIL the low cost of living in Lincoln, Nebraska is potentially helpful. No competition from any sort of professional sports franchise or a good basketball team basically makes Husker football the only thing in town. I know one of the things recruits' parents might take into consideration is Nebraska's academic support infrastructure for players.

I know that Rhule is taking advantage of the Wild West lack of restrictions on analyst staff positions. If the NCAA allows unlimited analysts, why not have tons of them? Why not hire successful high school coaches from every recruiting hotbed in the country so they can bring insights about and connections to all the good players in their part of Texas or Florida or California? Frost came to town with 100% of his staff from UCF. He didn't look at that crew and think there was maybe one guy he could upgrade from with a bigger assistant coach salary pool (I'm looking at you Erik Chinander). He also brought a strength staff that was stuck 20 years in the past.

Do you want the guy running your weight room to look like this?

Or this?

I'm not all that convinced that Nebraska's schedule is about to get a lot harder. There will probably still be some kind of emphasis on playing the nearby schools. USC and UCLA are going to have a period of adjustment coming into the Big Ten. Nebraska has drawn at least two teams out of the [Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State] array of Big Ten East teams with a pulse and has often drawn two of three in a season.

Frost's turnaround at UCF comes with asterisks. Yes, the program was coming off a rocky 0-12 season where the coach quit to become the AD when Frost was hired. The team was 9-4 and won a conference title the season before that and was 12-1 and won the Orange Bowl the season before that. UCF was already probably the most talent-laden team in the AAC before Frost showed up. The Yes, Frost took the team to an undefeated season in his second year there. The guy that took over for Frost had a couple of very successful years (and a down year) and then left. Gus Malzahn has had pretty good teams after Heupel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/clemsonfb/status/1614011055679864832?s=46&t=FN3iMzDBcBKBxR0Ik9oTdg

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

PBCrunch posted:

Texas, USC, and Florida all have everything a coach could ever ask for. They have all those things that Nebraska allegedly lacks. But they still aren't winning conference championships. Perhaps those things aren't as important as they are hyped up to be?

They’re necessary conditions but not sufficient ones. Elite recruiting won’t make you an elite program but good luck becoming an elite program without elite recruiting.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They’re necessary conditions but not sufficient ones. Elite recruiting won’t make you an elite program but good luck becoming an elite program without elite recruiting.

Of the modern Saban era titles, the worst recruiting team to win a title was Cam Newton auburn at around 50% Blue Chip Ratio. The next lowest were Jameis FSU and Deshaun Clemson.

Nebraska hovers around 25%. They need to essentially be around where Auburn and Penn State historically live in recruiting rankings to have the absolute bare minimum talent for a natty run again, and that’s assuming a generational QB

They can be a better Wisconsin or Sparty on what Rhule’s doing so far. Comfortably even. But there is absolutely no school that is strength coaching their way to a title anymore without the raw ingredients. Too many games to get by on low depth and lesser talent. Too many people who can identify talent at the mega bastard schools now.

Rhule is probably better suited for the modern challenges there. The analyst pool is a modernizing factor, and I believe that development does help, but there is a serious question of ceiling here unless he starts hitting it out of the park. First full class is going to be very illustrative.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

TheGreyGhost posted:

Of the modern Saban era titles, the worst recruiting team to win a title was Cam Newton auburn at around 50% Blue Chip Ratio. The next lowest were Jameis FSU and Deshaun Clemson.

Nebraska hovers around 25%. They need to essentially be around where Auburn and Penn State historically live in recruiting rankings to have the absolute bare minimum talent for a natty run again, and that’s assuming a generational QB

They can be a better Wisconsin or Sparty on what Rhule’s doing so far. Comfortably even. But there is absolutely no school that is strength coaching their way to a title anymore without the raw ingredients. Too many games to get by on low depth and lesser talent. Too many people who can identify talent at the mega bastard schools now.

Rhule is probably better suited for the modern challenges there. The analyst pool is a modernizing factor, and I believe that development does help, but there is a serious question of ceiling here unless he starts hitting it out of the park. First full class is going to be very illustrative.

The Jameis FSU squad was a literal NFL team, there is no way they were that low on talent rankings

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Jameis FSU squad was a literal NFL team,

A really, really bad one maybe. They had one bonafide NFL star in Ramsey and then a bunch of guys who hung around in the NFL and ranged from decent to bad.

But BCR is just the ratio of 4 and 5 star recruits to all other recruits and 2013 FSU was only barely above 50% with most recent winners being at least above 60% with Bama routinely coming in above 80%.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

YOLOsubmarine posted:

A really, really bad one maybe. They had one bonafide NFL star in Ramsey and then a bunch of guys who hung around in the NFL and ranged from decent to bad.

But BCR is just the ratio of 4 and 5 star recruits to all other recruits and 2013 FSU was only barely above 50% with most recent winners being at least above 60% with Bama routinely coming in above 80%.

We’ll then that’s pretty much a nail in to coffin to the silly argument that a really good NCAA team could beat the worst NFL team.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

tactlessbastard posted:

We’ll then that’s pretty much a nail in to coffin to the silly argument that a really good NCAA team could beat the worst NFL team.

Nobody actually believes that take, it’s just fun

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

PBCrunch posted:

In the age of NIL the low cost of living in Lincoln, Nebraska is potentially helpful.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Remembering, with a hearty chuckle, that 2013 FSU played Duke in the ACC Championship Game.

I think the thing with Nebraska is – good grief, certainly they can make a Weedwacker Bowl, yeah? They'll never finish in the B10 top 2 but certainly they can have some fun 7-5 years, right? They've gone almost the extent of Kirby Smart's tenure at Georgia without having a winning record. That's a long time in football years.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’m not sure everyone who’s praying for Kliff to come back is gonna get that answered anytime soon

https://twitter.com/edsbs/status/1614354547132039168

And he’s got the money for the good resorts. Good for him, that’s a good plan for at least three months.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Nick Saban, popping out of a bowl of rice

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Face tattoo Klingsbury gonna come back to the NFL refreshed, angry, and with an ever-impending underage prostitute scandal

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I’m remembering now that when Casey Thompson transferred from Texas to
Nebraska he cited the superior NIL opportunities at Nebraska.

https://saturdaytradition.com/nebraska-football/casey-thompson-on-nil-differences-between-nebraska-texas-you-can-make-6-figures-here/amp/

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Thermos H Christ posted:

I’m remembering now that when Casey Thompson transferred from Texas to
Nebraska he cited the superior NIL opportunities at Nebraska.

https://saturdaytradition.com/nebraska-football/casey-thompson-on-nil-differences-between-nebraska-texas-you-can-make-6-figures-here/amp/

I dont understand how this is possible isn't Texas the richest public university in terms of endowment (meaning presumably that their alums are flush)?

maybe you have to sing the train song to get 6 figs at Texas

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

fast cars loose anus posted:

I dont understand how this is possible isn't Texas the richest public university in terms of endowment (meaning presumably that their alums are flush)?

maybe you have to sing the train song to get 6 figs at Texas

NIL is seperate from the University. You're right in theory Texas being the biggest brand in the state should mean NIL is flush, but I could see UT having issues getting organized. I don't expect that to last forever though.

Lastly rich University != rich alums necessarily. Especially when you're as big as Texas is.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

drunk leprechaun posted:

NIL is seperate from the University. You're right in theory Texas being the biggest brand in the state should mean NIL is flush, but I could see UT having issues getting organized. I don't expect that to last forever though.

Lastly rich University != rich alums necessarily. Especially when you're as big as Texas is.

Texas boosters are also some of the dumbest assholes in the world as evidenced by the racist fight song emails that leaked, and those are the same people putting together NIL deals.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Texas boosters are also some of the dumbest assholes in the world as evidenced by the racist fight song emails that leaked, and those are the same people putting together NIL deals.

Yeah exactly. Texas is def on the short list for rprograms with rich but dumb and meddlesome boosters. There's probably like 10 little different groups all trying to steer Texas NIL.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

I love the embedding of a quote by Dabo in a tweet about someone else.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Woozie66 posted:

I love the embedding of a quote by Dabo in a tweet about someone else.

“‘I am the way, the truth and the life’- Jesus Christ” - Dabo Swinney

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

get it

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I think Texas might have just been a year behind on getting the NIL machine(s) up and running. I’m pretty sure it’s rampant now. How else do the #1 QB/#1 recruit overall, the #1 RB and the #1 LB all end up at a school that’s been mediocre to bad for over a decade now, with a coach who has gotten to 9 wins one time in his career?

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Thermos H Christ posted:

I think Texas might have just been a year behind on getting the NIL machine(s) up and running. I’m pretty sure it’s rampant now. How else do the #1 QB/#1 recruit overall, the #1 RB and the #1 LB all end up at a school that’s been mediocre to bad for over a decade now, with a coach who has gotten to 9 wins one time in his career?

I remember Texas having one of the first collective-type things getting press with that Pancake Factory program that paid o-linemen, looked it up and that was two years ago. Maybe the rest of the positions took more time, not a bad spot to invest in first though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Just to put it in here too:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

President Ono is skinny-fat. I tried to come up with a Yoko Ono pun but couldn't.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Rhule wasn't really king poo poo recruiter at Baylor. I don't think he's a good Xs and Os coach, but he's very good at developing players. Nebraska was already recruiting at a relatively high level under Frost, and if anything I expect them to be somewhat worse with that. The teams should be better, but he's not going to be a panacea, they're just going to be better than the shitfest of the past few years.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
It also appears that Michigan/Harbaugh/etc have gotten their act together on NIL-related stuff. Nearly every NFL fence-sitter decided to come back, through either prodding ($) through the associated collectives. So the 2023 recruiting class turned out to be pretty poo poo, but not exactly a necessary thing when they had their pick of the transfer portal and a fuckton of starters decided to return.

Interesting thing about how NIL is shaping up - it might not necessarily swap recruits coming out of high school, as that will be a massive clusterfuck of a market. But the collectives/coaches seem to be highly willing to pay to get NFL fence-sitters still in the program for another year or two. Could be a legitimately good thing for college football (outside of the obvious good of paying the loving players).

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

YOLOsubmarine posted:

100% agreed that elite recruiting is needed for elite success. But. Being in socal, Texas, or the deep South are not strictly necessary for elite recruiting. Being in socal, Texas, or the deep South do not necessarily guarantee elite recruiting.

Nebraska hovers around 25% blue chip ratio with eight years of dogshit results on the field and in the NFL draft. If the right coach (hopefully Rhule) can get the program off of life support, that ratio could improve. It could also improve if Rhule magically convinces Dylan Raiola to come play for Nebraska.

Rhule convinced two receivers to backtrack from the transfer portal (Zavier Betts and Isaiah Garcia-Castaneda) and talked both of Nebraska's top running backs to come back (Anthony Grant (from Florida State) and Ajay Allen (played a lot as true frosh last year before injury)).

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

We all saw those Iowa NFL numbers from the recent post. If Iowa can do it, Nebraska definitely can do it. But as any Florida fan can tell you, it's no easy feat to put all the pieces together.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Can Nebraska even get back to the Pelini level of consistently having A Dude on the team? Ndamukong Suh is the kind of player your program is lucky to get once a decade, but they don't even get guys of the Lavonte David, Prince Amakumara or Ameer Abdullah caliber anymore.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

We all saw those Iowa NFL numbers from the recent post. If Iowa can do it, Nebraska definitely can do it. But as any Florida fan can tell you, it's no easy feat to put all the pieces together.

Nebraska was on that list:

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I think what's more surprising than Iowa producing so many NFL players (even if they are almost all TEs and OLs) is USC and Texas producing so few after being such dominant teams 10-15 years ago.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Komet posted:

I think what's more surprising than Iowa producing so many NFL players (even if they are almost all TEs and OLs) is USC and Texas producing so few after being such dominant teams 10-15 years ago.

Yeah it's kind of a dumb list because it's luck based on where they end up in the NFL (feel like a better measure would be how many guys do they have in the NFL period), but...

Texas down there hanging out with Ole Miss...Mississippi State? and Nebraska???

And still being higher than USC.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
top 25 schools with guys in the nfl overall

Alabama 70
Ohio State 60
LSU 58
Georgia 53
Michigan 48
Notre Dame 45
Penn State 39
Florida 39
Iowa 39
Oklahoma 37
Clemson 34
Washington 33
Texas 32
Wisconsin 31
Texas A&M 30
South Carolina 29
California-Los Angeles 28
Mississippi 28
Southern California 27
Stanford 27
Oregon 27
Miami (FL) 26
Tennessee 26
Florida State 25
Auburn 25
Mississippi State 23
Virginia Tech 23

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

Nebraska was on that list:

Huh you're right. Still, I think they could get even higher if they get on a roll with Rhule and NIL.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
https://twitter.com/guersmith/status/1615392474725335040?s=46&t=VMPoSMlz1ZwuLHl1qhZwUQ
Tulane did a good join replacing their defensive coordinator.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

John McClane posted:

top 25 schools with guys in the nfl overall

Alabama 70
Ohio State 60
LSU 58
Georgia 53
Michigan 48
Notre Dame 45
Penn State 39
Florida 39
Iowa 39
Oklahoma 37
Clemson 34
Washington 33
Texas 32
Wisconsin 31
Texas A&M 30
South Carolina 29
California-Los Angeles 28
Mississippi 28
Southern California 27
Stanford 27
Oregon 27
Miami (FL) 26
Tennessee 26
Florida State 25
Auburn 25
Mississippi State 23
Virginia Tech 23

Thought Exercise: number these 1-25, then show the +/- based on the position of their recent recruiting class grade. (I was going to use a composite of past years as well, but the recruiting class grades were fairly consistent over the last ten years. If I had to guess, error margin of +/-4 from any exact number if you were going composite.) Gives a very rough guide on how teams develop the talent they collect.

Taken from https://247sports.com/Season/2023-Football/CompositeTeamRankings/

Alabama 0
Ohio State +4
LSU +4
Georgia -2
Michigan +12
Notre Dame +2
Penn State +7
Florida +4
Iowa +33
Oklahoma -5
Clemson +1
Washington +16
Texas -10
Wisconsin +44
Texas A&M -2
South Carolina 0
California-Los Angeles +19
Mississippi +21
Southern California -4
Stanford +29
Oregon -10
Miami (FL) -18
Tennessee -13
Florida State -4
Auburn -6
Mississippi State +3
Virginia Tech +9

Florida, TCU, Utah, Arkansas, and Nebraska were the other schools in the top 25 in recruiting this year with NFL placement outside the top 25.

Biggest surprises to me: Florida not having much of an NFL presence, comparatively, and Stanford being way up, given how bad their record has been.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

facialimpediment posted:

It also appears that Michigan/Harbaugh/etc have gotten their act together on NIL-related stuff. Nearly every NFL fence-sitter decided to come back, through either prodding ($) through the associated collectives. So the 2023 recruiting class turned out to be pretty poo poo, but not exactly a necessary thing when they had their pick of the transfer portal and a fuckton of starters decided to return.

Interesting thing about how NIL is shaping up - it might not necessarily swap recruits coming out of high school, as that will be a massive clusterfuck of a market. But the collectives/coaches seem to be highly willing to pay to get NFL fence-sitters still in the program for another year or two. Could be a legitimately good thing for college football (outside of the obvious good of paying the loving players).

I don't really see how this is the case, the NFL rookie minimum is $750k, I don't think NIL money is anywhere near that for anyone.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Konstantin posted:

I don't really see how this is the case, the NFL rookie minimum is $750k, I don't think NIL money is anywhere near that for anyone.

Bryce Young’s deals are reportedly worth 3.2 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Abugadu posted:

Florida, TCU, Utah, Arkansas, and Nebraska were the other schools in the top 25 in recruiting this year with NFL placement outside the top 25.

Biggest surprises to me: Florida not having much of an NFL presence, comparatively, and Stanford being way up, given how bad their record has been.

Huh? Am I misreading you here? UF is seventh in NFL placement in your own list there.

I’m more surprised at how many NFL folks UF continues to churn out without having seen on-field results.