Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Bryce Young’s deals are reportedly worth 3.2 million.

Yeah the big college stars (especially at QB) are getting great money. But most other positions I would think can't compare, even if they're still doing quite well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Bryce Young’s deals are reportedly worth 3.2 million.

Yes, but Bryce Young is not getting the rookie minimum. The undrafted guys and guys going in the 6th and 7th round are not getting $750k NIL deals. There are going to be some oddball people who can make more with NIL than in the NFL, but I don't see that being too common.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

LeeMajors posted:

Huh? Am I misreading you here? UF is seventh in NFL placement in your own list there.

I’m more surprised at how many NFL folks UF continues to churn out without having seen on-field results.

Yep I whiffed on UF. Whoops.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yes, but Bryce Young is not getting the rookie minimum. The undrafted guys and guys going in the 6th and 7th round are not getting $750k NIL deals. There are going to be some oddball people who can make more with NIL than in the NFL, but I don't see that being too common.

I don’t think returning is ever gonna be an optimal financial decision even with NIL but it could definitely put a bit of a thumb on the scale. Guys aren’t making purely financial decisions. They may have goals and desires within their NCAA careers and closing the financial gap somewhat could make decisions to pursue those goals a bit less difficult to make.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Matt Leinart returned to Southern Cal for an extra year, right? I'd imagine it'd be even easier to remain these days thanks to NIL.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Bird in a Blender posted:

I doubt it is either but the OP said he doubts anyone is making anything close to the rookie minimum and clearly at least some players are making way more than that. A few hundred thousand isn’t crazy for other positions of need who are important to the team but maybe borderline NFL quality.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Dear TCU, please take our dirtbag OC off our hands.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

tactlessbastard posted:

Dear TCU, please take our dirtbag OC off our hands.

I am glad he will no longer be our problem in less than 24 hours :hfive:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Goddammit, gently caress, I don't want Briles poo poo in my program. gently caress this. I'd rather lose by 60 again.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Chieves posted:

Goddammit, gently caress, I don't want Briles poo poo in my program. gently caress this. I'd rather lose by 60 again.

The worst part is all the peckerhead fans trying to downplay what they did at Baylor

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Chieves posted:

You'll take your Baylor stink OC and like 'em!

Signed, a fan of a team with a Baylor stink OC

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

tactlessbastard posted:

The worst part is all the peckerhead fans trying to downplay what they did at Baylor

There's literally a word filter on loving KillerFrogs for Kendal Briles. I hate online boomer forum fans of this sport so much sometimes.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

At least Kendal will have no shortage of white women to properly croot with

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

https://twitter.com/RazorbackFB/status/1616105165534425093

Dont think Briles departure is Officially Official anywhere but we have gone ahead and replaced him. Enos was pretty good last time he was here, hoping for some repeat success.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

chaoslord posted:

https://twitter.com/RazorbackFB/status/1616105165534425093

Dont think Briles departure is Officially Official anywhere but we have gone ahead and replaced him. Enos was pretty good last time he was here, hoping for some repeat success.

Yep, I'm fine with this one,

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
BoB interviewed with the Pats for the OC job, and an entire state is holding its breath

That state is not Massachusetts

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

https://twitter.com/SickosCommittee/status/1616196766491197440?s=20&t=3W10jKs8ttiEiWNTV5Njjg

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Matt Weiss got fired for whatever computer antics he was up to.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Matt Weiss got fired for whatever computer antics he was up to.

Until they actually come out and say what he did, I'm just gonna assume he added a trojan that shut off security systems and the electric fences on campus and that when the cops caught him, he had a can of Barbasol shaving cream

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I guess Ed Reed got fired because he was working without a contract and talking poo poo about how down bad Bethune-Cookman was?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
lol, Gattis fired.

Harbaugh let him walk for a reason.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Gattis was supposed to be the next up and coming OC, and I know that a sizeable portion of the Penn State fanbase would have preferred him to take the reins over Ricky Rahne when Moorhead left. It turns out neither he nor Rahne were particularly adept. He was a great WR coach and recruiter, and I think he'll still wind up doing that again at some other major program.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Komet posted:

Gattis was supposed to be the next up and coming OC, and I know that a sizeable portion of the Penn State fanbase would have preferred him to take the reins over Ricky Rahne when Moorhead left. It turns out neither he nor Rahne were particularly adept. He was a great WR coach and recruiter, and I think he'll still wind up doing that again at some other major program.

Yeah, Gattis was very limited until Matt Weiss showed up.

That being said, he netted like $4.5M for one year in Miami.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Worth noting that Cristobal has a reputation for micromanaging his offenses. Oregon fans were disappointed when Moorhead was hired and the offense didn't look any different than Arroyo's previously, and there were rumors of the two butting heads quite a bit.

Watching the Miami fans complain about the offense throughout the season gave a little bit of deja vu. Gattis may or may not be a good OC, but I wouldn't expect the next guy to call plays all that differently, though the results will probably still be better given the talent infusion of their current class.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Gattis taking job after job where he wants to run a fundamentally different offense than he was hired for is kind of funny. I’ll never understand how he couldn’t get more production out of the WR talent at Michigan beyond Harbaugh’s complete inability to find a quarterback prior to this year (and even McCarthy is like…fine at best). Going to Miami was a gamble because Mario meddles but also…they were a deep ball team the prior year in a way that makes you think at least the Penn State Verts RPO poo poo would work some.

Watch Saban bring him back and make him look like a genius again.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/JennaLaineESPN/status/1619108330693349376?s=20&t=0cdyihZvbGzc2LUZXC-vOQ

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
That would be ideal for me on both levels so I say do it Todd

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Hell yeah, get the gently caress outta here, Todd.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Regnevelc posted:

Yeah, Gattis was very limited until Matt Weiss showed up.

That being said, he netted like $4.5M for one year in Miami.

That terrible Zach Smith guy put out a video criticizing Gattis’s offense against Texas A&M and Gattis issued a take down notice.

There was also some issue about Gattis claiming to call plays for a team that had Locksley calling plays.

Also some rumors that Miami considered firing Gattis “for cause.”

Lot of drama.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Is there a German term for the relief you feel when you learn you dodged a bullet you never even knew was being fired at you?

https://twitter.com/ClowESPN/status/1621568738565701632

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

so SABAN REVENGE TOUR II: THE REVENGE FOR REVENGE TOUR I NOT WORKING OUT starts out with a bang with the hires of a decisively mid OC whose scheme doesn't match the Tide's current strengths and a retread DC who was kicking around the SEC during the Three Daves era.

Am I missing something here?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
wrong thread

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 6, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Komet posted:

the weird thing was I kept hearing about SPEED IN SPACE with Gattis and none of the Michigan offense remotely resembled that concept. I kind of assumed it was because Harbaugh wanted to play manball and was holding Gattis back but it turns out that Gattis was also just bad

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

D.N. Nation posted:

so SABAN REVENGE TOUR II: THE REVENGE FOR REVENGE TOUR I NOT WORKING OUT starts out with a bang with the hires of a decisively mid OC whose scheme doesn't match the Tide's current strengths and a retread DC who was kicking around the SEC during the Three Daves era.

Either Pruitt is not available, or Saban doesn't want to work with him again. There was talk he was even kicking the tires on Todd Grantham, FFS.

Saban once hired Doug Nussmeier as his OC, so even the GOAT can whiff on hires.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

LLCoolJD posted:

Either Pruitt is not available, or Saban doesn't want to work with him again. There was talk he was even kicking the tires on Todd Grantham, FFS.

Saban once hired Doug Nussmeier as his OC, so even the GOAT can whiff on hires.

Guarantee his legal department told him no. You’re not employing a guy in a suit actively undergoing discovery at a rival school.

Hiring Rees feels on brand because Rees is a dude who feels too clever by half and will press whatever advantage he may have calling plays but not really go beyond that. Sort of what Sark was capable of, though I don’t think anyone looks at Sark and thinks he’s a genius so much as a guy who is fundamentally honest about what his personnel can do on offense. If Nick wants to run the ball and use a TE again, I sort of get it from an approach standpoint, and I do get the impression he wants someone green enough where his death grip on what the offense should do won’t get serious pushback the way someone like Lane/Sark/BOB or any other former HC would do. Not saying those guys were all being held back, but there’s definitely a search with Rees and Grubb where he clearly wanted an OC who would eventually move up, not a former HC who got knocked back down. It’s a personality thing to him.

Steele feels like he’s just tired of having to make defensive hires and wants a guy who would leave for a head job but probably won’t get one because he’s Kevin Steele. He’s not a world beater but a competent rear end man there is probably all Nick really wants considering he’s going to exert some force. Also probably tips that they’re making more tweaks to the front given who they’ve recruited and what Steele’s background is. It’s hard to think a Saban DC hire will be awful, but I just feel like you’ve removed some of Golding’s variability in exchange for lowering the ceiling on what you can do.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the weird thing was I kept hearing about SPEED IN SPACE with Gattis and none of the Michigan offense remotely resembled that concept. I kind of assumed it was because Harbaugh wanted to play manball and was holding Gattis back but it turns out that Gattis was also just bad

Gattis, as far as I can tell, is a good marketer and WR coach who caught good timing with coworkers. Moorhead drove the Penn State offense breakthrough where all he had to do was teach vertical moves to his receivers. The Bama offense he worked on was more Locksley than him and just tagged all the Lane base packages with better short/intermediate games so you didn’t have to call a constraint play proactively. He developed some good receivers at Penn State and Bama, but he couldn’t do poo poo with the same types of dudes in Ann Arbor. Like, there’s a reason Nico Collins and DPJ weren’t big picks, and it’s not that they’re untalented. Michigan couldn’t actually cook until Sherrone Moore took that OL and re-designed huge chunks of the gap schemes to better incorporate misdirection and punish box stacking. His RPO concepts are fine, but they’re run pretty consistently elsewhere. He does some cool things with eye discipline against safeties in the run fits, but it’s not like they ran the ball down the throat of teams with great run defenses—they hit occasional dunk plays.

He might still turn out to be a decent coach, but winning that Broyles award when he’s worked for 3 straight authoritarian HCs and essentially had a dominant OC or Co-OC for everything but Miami just demonstrates that the award is for marketing because it doesn’t take a genius to see that he hasn’t personally run a good offense at origin yet.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

D.N. Nation posted:

Tommy Rees' scheme doesn't match the Tide's strengths because he wasn't coaching the Tide, he was coaching the Irish, where the strengths have varied but the persistent weakness the last few years has been WR. It bottomed out this year with Notre Dame having absolutely gently caress-all to throw to at wide receiver, along with the rookie quarterback getting a season-ending injury in game #2 and giving way to his (also-rookie) backup... but it had a good O-line (at least from October onward), good running backs, and a stellar TE. I don't think Tommy's scheme has necessarily looked the way it looks because that's the only scheme he knows and wants to run, it's looked that way because it had to look that way if you wanted to get production out of ND's personnel. For what it's worth, it was a theme of ND's last couple of seasons that the offense would open the season looking pretty rough, then after a few weeks the scheme seemed to shift a bit and the offense would start trending up - as if he didn't really understand his team's strengths in fall camp, but was able to figure it out after a few weeks of live games.

IMO the fairest knock on Tommy is his lack of success in identifying/recruiting QB prospects, as he was QB coach before becoming OC (while keeping QB coach duties). He did a good job coaching older/experienced QBs (like Ian Book and Jack Coan), but none of the guys he helped recruit out of high school have exactly lit the world on fire. (Which is why I think Bama is a good fit for him - he gets to study the recruiting machine run by the best coach in the game.)

I'm just some dumbass poster on the internet who watches too much college football, but that does mean I've been watching Tommy Rees do football things for almost thirteen years now (and yelling at him for many of those things), and I think he's an okay OC with the potential to be a really good OC some day. A lot of people in the game clearly think highly of him, he's gotten a lot of interest from a lot of very good football coaches over the last few years, this was just the first one good enough to peel him away from a good gig at ND.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

TheGreyGhost posted:

He developed some good receivers at Penn State and Bama, but he couldn’t do poo poo with the same types of dudes in Ann Arbor. Like, there’s a reason Nico Collins and DPJ weren’t big picks, and it’s not that they’re untalented.

my wife would regularly holler at the TV about why weren't they utilizing Nico Collins correctly so I will pass along that a dude on the internet agrees. DPJ seems to be kind of making something of himself which is nice.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

TheGreyGhost posted:

Guarantee his legal department told him no. You’re not employing a guy in a suit actively undergoing discovery at a rival school.

Steele feels like he’s just tired of having to make defensive hires and wants a guy who would leave for a head job but probably won’t get one because he’s Kevin Steele. He’s not a world beater but a competent rear end man there is probably all Nick really wants considering he’s going to exert some force. Also probably tips that they’re making more tweaks to the front given who they’ve recruited and what Steele’s background is. It’s hard to think a Saban DC hire will be awful, but I just feel like you’ve removed some of Golding’s variability in exchange for lowering the ceiling on what you can do.

Yeah, I had a bunch of friends all excited thinking Pruitt was coming back but I kept reminding them how much that wasn't going to happen. When you get show-caused for recruiting violations, that's a long road back.

I was annoyed at the seeming :effort: of the Steele hire, but at the same time, Saban is getting a guy that knows the deal and how to work in the system. I think you're right, this does signal a lot of changes with how the front-seven is managed moving forward. Golding was definitely way more variable, but he also tended to get way too cute with the schemes which cost Bama massively twice this year. Seems like Saban wants to know exactly what he's going to get week to week on that side of the ball.

Alabama also brought in the DC from Southern Miss, Austin Armstrong, as a defensive assistant. I wouldn't be too surprised if this is some long-game move to have Steele mentor him a bit before he retires. Steele is 64 or 65 years old at this point and not expected to coach a whole lot longer. Meanwhile Armstrong's USM defense led the nation in sacks and 4th down stops last year, so I can't imagine he's just accepting a lower title without some expectation of a promotion sooner than later.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

D.N. Nation posted:

Saban's magic Rolodex had to run out of names eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The smoke at least from the SZD gents is Saban kicked the tires on Pruitt and the SEC league office got a bit grumpy about it. But yeah, can imagine Bama’s compliance and legal offices might have also raised the same questions.