Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ooh, this is always a fun game. My list of "my" cars is short, but adding in cars my family owned would make it a fair bit longer - my dad turned over cars pretty regularly, still does, and the only reason I haven't followed him down that dark path has been spending my prime car buying years in Tokyo where that is neither as cheap or necessary as it is in the U.S. :v:

1989 BMW 325iS - After learning to drive on various other family cars and Driver's Ed Hyundais, this is what my dad and I found for me to have as a first car. 5-speed, LSD, had some ratty Fittipaldi wheels on it when we first got it that got replaced by some decent wheels, eventually got the Eibach and Bilstein treatment when I was in college. Served me well through high school, most of college (didn't have a car the first year but 2-4 did), commuting into the city for grad school, and kicking around as a stay-at-home son until moving to Japan. We only sold that last fall, it had spent the prior 10 years or so in garages and on trickle chargers, and it was time to do something truly stupid (sending it to Japan) or sell.

2001 (?) Daihatsu Mira - Kei car gently caress yeah. After a year of living in the Japanese countryside (my town's population: 10,000) and making do with public transit or rides from friends/acquaintances, I needed a car. Got my license transferred (which was an endeavor of its own) and found another English teacher in the prefecture selling this - a 5-door hatchback kei without any major problems. Paid about $1k for it, got it home and in my name, had it for about a year. Because...

2001 Subaru Legacy B4 - A friend wanted to swap - long story short, having a "proper" car after the year of the kei seemed fun. No big issues with it, was great to have and it ate up highway miles, but the gas prices and mileage on it was a lot more than I had before. I sold it when I knew I was moving to Tokyo, and I hope somebody still has it, causing trouble in the countryside.

2016 BMW 118i - After a long stretch of using a car sharing service, and keeping my eyes on what I would want to look for if I bought a car here, I decided on replacing the E30 3-series shaped hole in my life with an F20 five-door of approximately the same size. Considered the Honda Fit or Mazda 2/3 instead, but realized I was looking for BMW-ish alternatives when plenty of a real, RWD BMW model were available here. It's serving its purpose as a family outing vehicle and comfortable runabout, because it's not like I need to commute to work by car here. Probably keeping it a while, definitely glad I can go downstairs and dial up my own wheels from the parking structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU