Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
1987 VW passat hatchback 1.8
First car, got me through tradeschool and back with ALL my poo poo crammed amazingly into it with the backseats folded down. Got me to work wherever it would be and was the butt of the joke for a few years. Honestly it was a trooper and to heck with haters.

1998 Jeep XJ (2.5 td oh man)
Got some money now and wanted something else. Failing to get my hands on my collegues FJ60 land cruiser (all leaf sprung, 80's liveried bad assery) I wanted a truck, trucks are spacious and comfortable and cool. But the XJ is none of that. Still a real hoot taking my friends around logging trals and quarrys and messing around, incredibly capable offroad, and posed and easy onroad too. Never disconnected the sway bars, never got better tires for it, bone stock and slow. No traction control and no ABS. One winter i was daydreaming in traffic and rear ended another car, my only accident so far. That sucked. Took all blame and insurance did the rest, really hope there was no lasting damage to them never heard back. Got parked, then it flooded somehow, firewall damage? "Sold" it on to a neighbor who then pulled it straight, got a new radiator and headlight, did a touch up paint job and got a good trade in for a new'ish suzuki pickup. Kinda sketch.

1991 audi 100 quattro 2.3 ooh wee
I just needed an car but it had to be awd atleast and this thing was available for only double the price of the 2wd models. Let's not get into it. This thing was in good order though, amazing interior, the stainless chassis, quiet as anything. And the slowest feeling car i have ever driven. The 2.3 n/a is still an inline 5 but gotdamn. HOW is it so slow.
The graphics layer on the speedometer started peeling and locked the needle in place, a shop replaced my cluster but would not adjust the tacho on the new cluster to match the old one (???) even though the new showed LESS. Fuel tank rusted out, no fuel gage after tank swapped. Mystery power drain. Was this thread meant to be a diary i am so sorry.

1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9
All the power. The fastest SUV before SUV's was meant to be fast. Engine hopped up sometime like 10 years ago before i got it., (with papers!) cams and pistons nothing crazy but just a beast launching off the lights. 3 inch single exhaust got annoying as hell, no room for a good dual pipe setup sadly.. quadra trac full time awd, had to settle for donuts in the snow. Worst handling thing i have ever come across, but passed inspections and even had the shop look into it. It was just fine apparently. Autobox shifted smooth, at full throttle. In traffic, just banging gears, really kicking my rear end. Even sucked trying to maintain speed on the open roads, constantly dropping out of overdrive, really noticeable with that loving exhaust. Cruisecontrol never worked as it would just disengage up any hill. The rust eventually killed off the old boat, and deemed nolonger roadworthy. If it ever was. (had a bodywork shop look it over, they deemed it inadviseable, guess they hate money idk) Miss that whole mess alot but we cant really do much with an unregistered vehicle around these parts.

Today
1991 VW Golf Country
Yep, bought it off an old lady who claimed to take take this thing for 1000 mile round trips in the summer, which is just unbelievable to me, but all the same i found ticket stubs for a ferry line that matches up her story. 1.8 litres, 90hp, syncro awd, I think it has lower gearing than regular models, does 3000 rpm at 62 mph in 5th, i've pushed it harder but i dont want to hold it there for too long. Engine dont seem to care much though. No radio for who knows how long, had original cover plate and 142000 miles when i got it, only put another 4000 miles on it myself. Got some underbody rust repair and sealing done, set of wheels and tires. Have all 5 original speedline wheels but they are rough. I have old stock graphics for the doors in a box but i feel like it needs some restoration work on trim and paint.
But now i want to sell it on. Any norweegans looking to out me or wants a running Golf Country? Will take money and perhaps a trailer for trade. No lowballers, good firm ballers only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU