Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

33, lived in TX my whole car owning life

1990 Chevy Suburban 4x4 1500 - inherited when I was 15, still daily drive it, will die still owning it
1997 Toyota Camry - purchased to commute in 07? Words are inadequate to express my hatred of this car
1986? Chevy Suburban 4x4 1500 - intended as a project. Bought with a blown motor, swapped in another, also turned out to be blown. I was much younger then and scrapped it after that to keep the city off my rear end.
1982 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser - with the 5.7 diesel! Long term project that I really need to finish and start driving
1998 Saturn SL2 - My other current daily driver
1999 Saturn SC2 - bought to be my sister's car, was hers in high school, became mine again, is now in CO on loan to my brother, will return to me again someday
2001 Saturn SL1 - technically belonged to my ex, but since I performed and paid for all maintenance on it for close to a decade, I'm counting it. This car is the reason I keep buying Saturns

On the hunt for a Saturn wagon to complete the trio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Small Car
Aug 24, 2016

VelociBacon posted:

I've never met someone who owned a saturn and wanted another - what do you like about them so much?

Primarily, I find them fun little cars to drive. Especially the twin cam models, they're reasonably peppy and fairly comfortable for what they are. They are also incredibly cheap (to purchase, to insure, to drive, to repair) and reliable in my experience.

The SC2 had the snot abused out of it by a teenage driver to the point where it had a blown head gasket no coolant, and shot rod bearings. For $500ish it got a new piston, new rod bearings, new rings, a junkyard head, a water pump, and all new gaskets, and has been driving perfectly for about 2 years now, including 3 round trips to Denver.

The SL2 finally blew its head gasket a couple months ago, and for less than $100 I had it back on the road in a weekend. That's the only non-routine maintenance it's required since I bought it, and I've put about 100k on it since I bought it (105K at time of purchase)

If you take out routine maintenance costs and things I've done for fun (lowering springs, wacky painted valve cover on the SL2, etc.), I'm into both cars combined, including the purchase price, for less than $2.5k, and both have been serving as daily drivers for 5-6 years. Including routine maintenance and fun stuff, that number is still less than $6K, which is pretty drat cheap. I also have a thing for unloved/unwanted cars (this extends to other hobbies), so tend to end up with slightly odder choices in most things as a result.