Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Oh one of these again!

Mid 40s, been in TX my whole live, but owned two MN cars (fml...)

1980 Ford F-150 Ranger XLT (back when Ranger was an option package IIRC) - first year of that body style. 351M w/C6 automatic. When new it put out a thundering 138 HP at the crank (but 260ish ft/lbs at 2000 RPM). It probably had 100 hp, on a good day, when I got it.

1988 Honda Accord LXi (4 door, 5 speed manual, EFI). This was my first MN car. Odometer rolled back who loving knows how far (carfax didn't exist yet). Reliable as hell, all I ever did was a timing belt (PO told me he'd just done it, 2 weeks later it broke.. no damage somehow), alternator, and battery. Got stolen.

1988 Honda Accord DX (2 door, 5 speed manual, 2 bbl carb). Bought it off a mechanic at a Honda dealer who put a new engine in it, but didn't refresh the cooling system (said mechanic said it was a trade in that'd had overheating problems since new, he put a junkyard motor in it). Popped a radiator hose while my roommate was driving it, cracked the head.

1996 Honda Civic EX (2 door, 5 speed, VTEC YO). Blew 2 engines, the 2nd right after rebuilding the transmission. Sold it to a friend.

1991 Acura Integra LS (3 door, 4 speed auto, base 1.8). Fun car, but PO had put an adjustable FPR on it. Ran way too lean and wound up as a 2 cylinder 2 stroke eventually.

1995 Honda Civic EX (2 door, 5 speed, VTEC yo). Bought it off a friend for $200 with a bad clutch and battery. New clutch, new battery, played tag with an 18 wheeler and lost.

2001 Honda Accord LX (4 door, 5 speed, VTEC). Generic car that I never did a drat thing to except oil changes and a new timing belt @ 100k.

1999 Nissan Altima GXE (4 door 5 speed). Pile of poo poo, but shockingly quick for what it was. Massive pain in the dick to work on.

2006 Saturn Ion 3 (2 door 5 speed). Top of the line, only options missing were automatic, ABS, and leather. Took it from 60k to over 200k with only an AC compressor and battery. Wrecked.

2006 Saturn Ion 2 (2 door 5 speed). Weird car, had almost all the same options as the 3 (including sunroof, normally something you never see on a 2). Pretty sure it was a dealer demo, Carfax showed it didn't get registered for the first time until it had nearly 2500 miles. Swapped the nicer seats over from the 3. GF bought it for me from a shady BHPH lot, wound up being another loving MN car. Got rid of it when the fuel and brake lines rusted out. Had a lot of electrical issues too.

2003 Subaru Outback wagon (auto). Really nice car (especially for a base model), still miss it, gutless as gently caress though (~19s 1/4 mile). Had a weird violent shaking issue under heavy throttle. Replaced 2 half shafts trying to fix it, pretty sure maybe the rear driveshaft had a bad u-joint (which aren't serviceable). Got hit last spring in it, written off unfortunately.

2007 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. Pile of poo poo as far as the body and interior, mechanically it's.... well the engine runs well, the AC and heat work, the transmission usually works fine (occasionally 3rd gear likes to step outside for a cig). That's what I currently drive. Coworker today offered me more than I paid for it today, despite there being pretty much zero paint left on the hood or roof. Originally a fairly rural (Burnet County TX) constable car, has some very questionable body work, but hey, it was $2500 during peak COVID and had <1500 idle hours. So far I'm a battery, alternator, and fuel pump into it, outside of typical maintenance. Sent an oil sample off to Blackstone from my most recent oil change, still waiting on results - results will dictate whether or not I drop the money on fixing the transmission (engine doesn't leak and only seems to burn ~1/2 a quart between 5k oil changes, so unless there's abnormal wear materials in the oil...).

VelociBacon posted:

I've never met someone who owned a saturn and wanted another - what do you like about them so much?

They're unique cars. I know the two I've owned are just a Chevy Cobalt with a different body, but I always liked how different they were. And as A Small Car pointed out, they're extremely cheap and reliable. The problem now is finding them at all; I would absolutely own a 96+ SC2 or SL2 if I could find one in good shape for a reasonable price. When you do find them, the rings are prone to sticking unless you're fanatical about oil changes, so they're often smokers.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I have the same issue with my ex-police Crown Vic, at least in smaller towns (APD doesn't give a poo poo unless you're standing a block from a protest, then you get smacked with "less lethal rounds" until you get brain damage). Get stopped CONSTANTLY in it, only for them to discover I'm pretty innocent (at least when I'm driving that thing - I make drat sure nothing illegal is in it). Paint is almost entirely gone from the roof (spotty rust on it with one large patch of rust where it first started peeling), hood and trunk are following closely, both bumpers are pretty beat up, header panel is unpainted fiberglass. The glasspacks probably don't help, though unlike a lot of people who slap glasspacks or a louder exhaust on these cars, it still has all 4 cats. I also make sure to keep the tags current on it (and it passes safety/smog legitimately, I don't have to know a guy who knows a guy).

Luckily the city I live in isn't that big - the cops in my area all know me as the ugly car driver. I set the cruise right at the speed limit (maybe a few mph over if traffic is going that fast) anytime I'm driving around town, and on the highway I just go with traffic. The Saturn and Subaru got me pulled over a bit too, but those were just more "driving a cheap older car, you don't look like you fit this area" and less "driving a beat to poo poo car often associated with the type of person with warrants".

Mechanically, the engine, suspension, HVAC, interior, and electrical are solid. Transmission needs some love eventually, and the rear end needs both axle seals replaced, but it runs and drives. It's just ugly as hell.

I'll probably peel the rest of the paint off, scuff it up/lay down new primer, and hit it with bedliner or something at some point. Anything would look better than how it sits right now.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 5, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

Funny to realize the piece of total poo poo Focus is the only car I've ever owned that was less than 8 years old when I bought it.

My 96 Civic and 01 Accord are the only ones to have that honor - got the 96 in... 2000? 01 around 06. IIRC I paid $8k for each. Civic was super clean, private party with something like 40k on it (plus factory keyless entry, aftermarket tape player, aftermarket CD changer in the trunk, on top of the typical EX equipment - I think the only options lacking were automatic transmission and antilock brakes). Accord was pretty average shape for the miles (70k?) and typical LX equipment (no extras, not even keyless entry or antilock) from a Honda dealer.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 29, 2022