Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

:siren:NO SPOILERS.:siren:
:siren:THIS GAME IS SUPER GORY, DON'T WATCH IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE TO THAT.:siren:

Capcom's Resident Evil 2, released on the PS1 in 1998, was a monumental success for the company and paved the way for more titles in this new franchise. The sequel, Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, was released the following year to critical success, but was not as warmly received as its predecessor. Twenty years later, both of these titles would be remade for modern audiences on Capcom's RE Engine; this time, we're playing the remake of Resident Evil 3.

RE3 features returning series' protagonist, Jill Valentine, of RE1's S.T.A.R.S. task force, as she is forced to escape Raccoon City while being relentlessly pursued by Nemesis, a bioweapon engineered by the villainous Umbrella Corporation with the explicit task of silencing anyone privy to the company's darkest secrets. This game's plot is a faithful reimagining of the events of the original title, albeit more limited in scope; where the original RE3 had a branching narrative that affected the eventual outcome of the story, the remake streamlines the story, removing any story-critical decisions that the player could make. The original RE3 also introduced the series' first stalker enemy, the titular Nemesis, who was praised for bringing a new level of tension to the game. Nemesis could appear from almost anywhere to throw a wrench into Jill's plans, forcing the player to adapt to his appearance and either fight him off or make a quick escape. The concepts introduced by Nemesis would be iterated upon with RE7's Jack Baker and the remake of RE2's Mr. X, so expectations for a redone Nemesis were high. Unfortunately, this game doesn't manage to cash the check that its older brother wrote. This game isn't bad by any means; its a really solid action-horror game with tightly polished gameplay, but it does feel rather small and limited when put side-by-side with the RE2 remake.

This will be an informative LP where I show off a comprehensive run of Jill Valentine's no good, very bad day. For this endeavor, I'm joined by my pals liquidypoo and CJacobs. Updates should ideally be twice a week, but no promises. Just like the other Resident Evil games made in the RE Engine, this game is incredibly gruesome and isn’t afraid to remind you of that! If you’re sensitive to extreme blood and gore, it might be best not to watch the videos, maybe just listen to them in the background. This also bears repeating, :siren:NO SPOILERS:siren:.

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Reserved

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Reserved

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Links currently lead to the Resident Evil 7 LP.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ajkalan posted:

Links currently lead to the Resident Evil 7 LP.

Son of a bitch. :negative:

I’ve corrected the links, thanks.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Going to the licker store in Racoon City sounds like the worst place to ever be.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I know Nemesis was inspired by the Terminator but that music cue which was playing as he was slowly walking towards the car could have come straight from the first film.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Glad to see another RE LP from this gang

azren
Feb 14, 2011

YES! I was hoping you guys would tackle this!

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

There's one enemy attack later in the game that might justify an additional trigger warning.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Gnoman posted:

There's one enemy attack later in the game that might justify an additional trigger warning.

I still can't believe some dude at Capcom animated this scene and didn't think twice about it.

Or maybe they did.

theamazingchris
Feb 1, 2016

: D
I am definitely too much of a weenie to play these remakes, so I'll be happy sitting on the sidelines for this one. I'll probably force myself to play the RE4 remake but it will be tough. Anyway, I enjoyed your playthroughs of 7 and 8 and am looking forward to this too.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Aren't the timelines of Resident Evils 2 and 3 only plausible through a whole lot of Three's Company-esque series of people coming into a room immediately after someone leaves?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That series of comic front pages was great. Even had Chris in his sailor outfit. It could take a long time to list all the references, like Bubble Bobble.

Was those inventory packs also DLC or did they really give you two right at the start of the game?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Argate, how could you type out that episode title,look at it, and not turn it into a reference about going straight?

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Unfortunately I can't look at this game and be scared anymore. I can't help but see nemesis just trying to help or impress Jill, so she'll go on a date with him. "Press Start To Laugh" just destroyed any tension this game had for me, and I love them for it. <3

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Oh my goodness, so many good signs and posters. One Wolf Cigarettes. Sudden Death Bowling. Party Party Party. The aforementioned Toy Uncle.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I like how this is the dodging Resident Evil where you can dodge zombies and immediately, right in the beginning of the game Jill's doing it in the cutscene fighting Nemesis.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Aren't the timelines of Resident Evils 2 and 3 only plausible through a whole lot of Three's Company-esque series of people coming into a room immediately after someone leaves?

Nope, there is an explanation for it and it's very obvious when it happens.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Obligatory:

STAAARS.

That is all.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm glad to see the tradition of aiming the guns directly at the audience continues. :allears:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So, what's the reason behind going for leg shots? I'm guessing it's fewer bullets overall to kill a zombie since after you take a leg out you can just stab away with the knife, but the few zombies that you've shot in the head seem to have gone down very quickly.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It knocks them down so they don't bite you immediately.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Crazy Achmed posted:

So, what's the reason behind going for leg shots? I'm guessing it's fewer bullets overall to kill a zombie since after you take a leg out you can just stab away with the knife, but the few zombies that you've shot in the head seem to have gone down very quickly.

Zombos in Remake 2 and 3 are pretty sturdy and its not a good idea to rely upon random critical headshots, blowing off a leg leaves them stuck on the floor and can be easily avoided when you need to backtrack and want to save ammo.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
In Remake 2 limb and bodyshots do the same damage as headshots so you aren't losing any damage by aiming at legs.

This however was slightly adjusted in RE3make and the damage in this game is roughly like this on regular zombies (600-800 hp) with the handgun
Headshot 100 dmg
Bodyshot 80 dmg
Limbshot 50 damage

I don't have any numbers about delimbing chances tho.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

As it turns out, I have a lot of muscle memory from RE2R, where a couple of well placed limb shots could stagger a zombie and give you an opportunity to slip by unscathed. I only have empirical evidence backing up this statement, but RE3R feels like they've increased zombie stagger resistance so this strategy isn't as effective anymore. Going for the leg dismemberment is also probably a little extra, I don't think its at all worth it in RE3R with how the map is designed, but in RE2R it can be useful for containing zombies to the room you kneecap them in, since crawling zombies can't open doors, if you can spare the ammo for it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Well, that was certainly a visceral animation that monster had.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That guy exploding into maggots is like the burned zombie things in RE1.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I remember that bug deepthroat animation being longer and worse more awful

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
I will freely admit, the tick nest is the one place where I used an infinite ammo cheat just so I could blast everything with the shotgun. I hate ticks. wish I had a flamethrower going in there.

I'm pretty sure the guy you got the lockpicks from is supposed to be foreshadowing of what happens if you stay parasitized too long, ie: your guts explode with gribly ticks.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

stryth posted:

I'm pretty sure the guy you got the lockpicks from is supposed to be foreshadowing of what happens if you stay parasitized too long, ie: your guts explode with gribly ticks.

Yup. Looked it up. CW:The video starts with the infection scene again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ykYWaEi_qc

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

You already mentioned the clock tower being mostly cut in the video but yes, that's one of the biggest black marks against Remake 3, let's just say that the fanbase isn't so united around this like they were with Remake 2.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I'm a bit behind, but re: how real that pistol with the red dot sight is; at first I thought "wow, that's a weird choice of dot sight; aren't ones like that usually used on rifles, being too large for pistols?". Apparently not, though.

Then I thought "well... RE3 is set in 1998, so surely that was too early for handguns to have red dot sights, right?" But nope; according to that same link, that exact sight has been in use since 1993, at least.

So... I guess that's all fine, then. :ms:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

That's the attack animation that I thought deserved a trigger warning. It is quite troubling.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There sure are a lot of dead people with convenient notes next to them. It is like the devs hate the OGs use of environmental storytelling with the corpses. You have to follow this straight path and read the notes spelling it out for you instead of examining things.

The choices in RE3 did lead you to places you couldn't reach if you picked other routes. It was a better effort on the choices you made compared to RE2's picking up items and scenarios.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Just a heads up, I accidentally hosed up the Uncut commentary version of this episode so I'll be re-exporting that and it should hopefully be up tomorrow. I'll leave the current one up for now, but it is basically just the Cut commentary version with the audio ducking in place for the Uncut video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I played through this on launch and haven't touched it since the update, but I don't remember these scenes being nearly so dark.