Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

04 - The Sewers Uncut

Here's the re-uploaded version of episode 4 uncut.

Gnoman posted:

I played through this on launch and haven't touched it since the update, but I don't remember these scenes being nearly so dark.

I think the original lighting systems were totally overhauled for the ray tracing implementation, so now that the lighting is all handled dynamically, the game ends up overall quite a bit darker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
cjacobs let someone finish a sentence without yelling some nonsense challenge

take it down a notch dude

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I would appreciate it if you wouldn't snipe at my friend like that.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If you're not enjoying watching an LP there's a super easy thing you can do to fix that

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

If you're not enjoying watching an LP there's a super easy thing you can do to fix that

What kind of stupid poo poo is this. If I wasn't enjoying the LP and I didn't like CJ why would I be watching it? I would enjoy it more with less yelling of half-formed jokes is all

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

some plague rats posted:

What kind of stupid poo poo is this. If I wasn't enjoying the LP and I didn't like CJ why would I be watching it? I would enjoy it more with less yelling of half-formed jokes is all

You don't seem to enjoy it enough to avoid being a rude dick to the friend of the guy providing it to you. To the point of continuing after Argate told you to knock it off.

The appropriate responses here would have been apologizing or backing down. These are silly internet videos about zombies that are totally cheating by using rocket launchers and flamethrowers, there's no reason for any of us to get ugly like that.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FoolyCharged posted:

You don't seem to enjoy it enough to avoid being a rude dick to the friend of the guy providing it to you. To the point of continuing after Argate told you to knock it off.

The appropriate responses here would have been apologizing or backing down. These are silly internet videos about zombies that are totally cheating by using rocket launchers and flamethrowers, there's no reason for any of us to get ugly like that.

I'll be honest, I'm a little taken aback by how bafflingly defensive this response is to what was, let's face it, an extremely mild criticism?

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Maybe you posted that after watching update 2 or 3, but if you had watched 4 you'd notice CJ was absent. It felt a little lovely to see that sort of response after a video the man's not even in. Context matters.

At any rate, if we're gonna criticize, let's bash me for trying to say "open wide" and "open up" at the same time when Argate started taking down Hunter Gammas the fun way. Or how about me somehow missing an entire video's worth of opportunity to make a Pac-Man joke. Seriously, it was all I could think of while rewatching this update. Usually I'm mentally making the jokes that the me in the video then immediately makes

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Nicolai wasn't kidding when he said Nemesis wasn't after him, Big man only has eyes for STARS members and will only kill if someone is actively blocking his path, he's a little more efficient than the typical bio monster.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Judge Tesla posted:

Nicolai wasn't kidding when he said Nemesis wasn't after him, Big man only has eyes for STARS members and will only kill if someone is actively blocking his path, he's a little more efficient than the typical bio monster.

Would you say he has STARS in his eyes?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Judge Tesla posted:

He loving NEEDS that Jill sandwich.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I love that 'totally intended' combo you did with the grenade launcher.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Just got caught up on the playthrough, good stuff. And just in time too, "NOW HERE'S A WEIRD FUCKIN' DOOR" is a real all-timer of a line :buddy:

e: I remember that "you suck, Leon" mod sometimes and it always makes me laugh. Something about it being such a low level insult makes it much funnier.

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 14, 2022

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
It's interesting that Jill manages to survive, by this point, counting RE1 & 3, about 100 zombie bites, and innumerable explosions, scrapes, cuts, burns and a lot of plain blunt force trauma. But one spiky tendril in the arm, and that's what takes her out. Sure, you could argue that canonically she never gets bitten by a zombie, but that seems rather minor comparatively.

Just typing that out now, it's surprising how few bite victims we see in these games turn into full zombies. In 2 we see the cop, bitten by Brad, who here in 3 is bitten in the first few minutes. But most of the other games, most of the victims we get to see just end up as food, and not actually turned "on screen". I mean in the first zombie encounter in the series, the guy getting eaten never gets back up, right?

Also, sorry if it was mentioned, but are there any plans to show off any of those DLC items that are stored away?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I only recall two times in the entire series where you see someone go from living to zombie (not counting Brad, who we see as alive and as a zombie, but we don't see the transition) - Marvin and the unnamed truck driver that slams into Leon and Claire early in 2. It is made pretty explicit in the original version of 2 (I don't remember the remake as well) that the primary vector of the outbreak was rats, not zombie bites.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

Also, sorry if it was mentioned, but are there any plans to show off any of those DLC items that are stored away?

Oh those aren't DLC items but unlockables you earn for finishing the game under specific conditions, I believe Capcom released a DLC key that unlocks them so you don't need to do the terror of S ranking the game's hardest difficulty for some of them.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

To answer the question though, yes, I will be showing off some of the unlockables in a bonus video after the campaign.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

It's interesting that Jill manages to survive, by this point, counting RE1 & 3, about 100 zombie bites, and innumerable explosions, scrapes, cuts, burns and a lot of plain blunt force trauma. But one spiky tendril in the arm, and that's what takes her out. Sure, you could argue that canonically she never gets bitten by a zombie, but that seems rather minor comparatively.

I thought I remembered there being a thing where Jill and other protags were resistant/immune by some genetic thing to the normal viruses, but that Nemesis had some sort of weird super-virus, or something. I'm not an RE scholar by any means, however, so I could be completely wrong.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That's speculation based on observed phenomena. Jill herself thinks as much based on her notes at the start of this game.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think it's a testament to how completely this game bounced off my brain compared to 2 that I'd completely forgotten there's a whole section where you play as Carlos?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

some plague rats posted:

I think it's a testament to how completely this game bounced off my brain compared to 2 that I'd completely forgotten there's a whole section where you play as Carlos?

At least that part was kept from classic RE3.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

some plague rats posted:

Honestly I'd completely forgotten about this as well, I thought we were watching a DLC segment or something.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Judge Tesla posted:

At least that part was kept from classic RE3.

It's weird what they decided to keep vs take out. It's been a dog's age since I played RE3 classic but I was disappointed they took out the branching paths, I remember them absolutely blowing my mind back in the day. Especially after they kept the A/B scenarios for 2, it was a real letdown

At least they gave Jill some at least vaguely sensible clothes in this one

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!
Poster: "Don't get caught off guard!"
*the video happens*
Poster: "No body ever listens."

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
People die when they are in the hospital.
Those Hunters are super tanky for some reason. Probably to cut down on having too many on screen at once. Would have been old school to get set up with a swipe and then lose a head.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I like the hospital section a lot, it's a nice version of the puzzle box area design that's a fun level of difficulty without hitting my aggravation point. It's also where I start becoming much less familiar with the game, because I'll start a lot of playthroughs and then just poop out around the boss fight that takes Jill out. I should really just keep a save file after that.

It's also fun because Carlos is just great to play as, I wish there was more of him. Was there more Carlos material cut from the original game, or was that all Jill stuff?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I like the hospital section a lot, it's a nice version of the puzzle box area design that's a fun level of difficulty without hitting my aggravation point. It's also where I start becoming much less familiar with the game, because I'll start a lot of playthroughs and then just poop out around the boss fight that takes Jill out. I should really just keep a save file after that.

It's also fun because Carlos is just great to play as, I wish there was more of him. Was there more Carlos material cut from the original game, or was that all Jill stuff?

IIRC Carlos got a lot more play time in this remake. RPD as Carlos was new and the hospital part is pretty big compared to the original.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Damm carlos knows the Tiger Drop

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Carlos actually got more content as he never went to the RPD in the original, just the hospital to get the cure for Jill after she was attacked, funnily enough the clock tower interior being cut meant Carlos had to carry an unconscious Jill half way across the city instead of keeping her in a room at the clock tower.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Mod where Carlos just screams "REPRESENTATIVE!" in response to the voice asking you to state your business, please

EDIT: Not fully awake yet bring coffee

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Oct 18, 2022

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So for that first hunter fight, you're in such close quarters that you basically have to get the dodge/counter timing down or otherwise pop some herbs every 10 seconds?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

So for that first hunter fight, you're in such close quarters that you basically have to get the dodge/counter timing down or otherwise pop some herbs every 10 seconds?

Kinda, yeah! I think if you had a grenade, you'd be fine with that too, but those hunters are mean!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The timing for the punch is a bit tricky against hunters but I think its around the time when they raise their hand above their head because swipe itself is so fast.

Are you guys going to talk about the higher difficulties at some point because boy there's some bullshit there that even some speedrunners hate.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

So, if anyone was wondering when RE2 took place, it all went down when Jill was unconscious, she might very well have encountered Leon and Claire had Nemesis not gotten to her first.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
EVERYONE knows the way to create a cure to the virus is to take a sample of the virus, put it in a machine, and have a piece of the machine move the sample to another part. So easy a 17 year old can do it

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Am I imagining things or was Jill blonde in the original RE?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

EVERYONE knows the way to create a cure to the virus is to take a sample of the virus, put it in a machine, and have a piece of the machine move the sample to another part. So easy a 17 year old can do it

You just have to invert the virus and it becomes the vaccine
Simple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Am I imagining things or was Jill blonde in the original RE?

You're thinking of RE5! She's always been a brunette up until, uh, things happen to her between games and she's suddenly blonde in 5.