Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Piggy Smalls posted:

My friend said he had a big chunk of his student loan forgiven. Or at least got a letter stating that. I thought the powers that be said Biden couldn’t do that? Is this legit?

Depends on the scenario. Do you know if any of these might be applicable:

- If he was on a PSLF plan or IDR plan, the Biden administration went back and retroactively counted months towards your 120 months of payments required to get your loans forgiven that the Trump administration refused to count.

- If his school was shut down or found to have defrauded students, then it can be forgiven.

- If his original loan balance was less than $12k and he converted to the new SAVE plan or was on a REPAYE plan that automatically converted to a SAVE plan.

Is the letter from the Department of Education or his Student Loan Servicer? Does it say why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the pslf process is so archaic (requiring much attention) if you get approval that way you'll certainly know why

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Depends on the scenario. Do you know if any of these might be applicable:

- If he was on a PSLF plan or IDR plan, the Biden administration went back and retroactively counted months towards your 120 months of payments required to get your loans forgiven that the Trump administration refused to count.

- If his school was shut down or found to have defrauded students, then it can be forgiven.

- If his original loan balance was less than $12k and he converted to the new SAVE plan or was on a REPAYE plan that automatically converted to a SAVE plan.

Is the letter from the Department of Education or his Student Loan Servicer? Does it say why?

The loan is from a major university dental school. It’s still in business since it’s USC. The letter was from the student loan Servicer

He did ask for reduced payments so I guess it was an IDR plan.

Piggy Smalls fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 31, 2023

DNAmage
Oct 8, 2005

Occult Scientist
Cannot turn to attack.
He mixes biotech and sorcery with sinister results

ethanol posted:

the pslf process is so archaic (requiring much attention) if you get approval that way you'll certainly know why

It was a goddamn nightmare of forms to sign and get people to sign and mail and call people for months. I finally got my forgiveness letter this week. PSLF is better now than it was but it's still a lot of work and a lot more waiting. I hope it gets better in the future and I also hope that these new repayment programs for non-public service folks are helpful.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
Post your student debt repayment:

0 due @ Dec 5th 2024 even though I have a balance of ~25,000 owed

Signed up for the SAVE program which might have something to do with it

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

it's been 378 days since leon trostky 2012 posted this shamble of a thread and yet he still walks free

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
🅱️ is withholding all student loan aid until 🅾️🅱️ is freed from his posting prison, being forced to flee to Reddit where he enjoys great success as a reviewer for the EDC community.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

OMFG FURRY posted:

Post your student debt repayment:

0 due @ Dec 5th 2024 even though I have a balance of ~25,000 owed

Signed up for the SAVE program which might have something to do with it

Signed up for saave
They want me to pay $196.67 on $15623.6

No.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Nelnet is saying my next payment is due in October 2024

And I'm not complaining but I don't understand why and it worries me

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
My wife had a similarly weird due date while they were reviewing her SAVE application. It was switched to something sensible after they approved it. I’m back to paying $620 a month.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

lol this is gonna tank the economy

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

poisonpill posted:

lol this is gonna tank the economy

:yeshaha:

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I owe like ~6 grand.

The SAVE plan wanted me to pay 196 dollars a month.

My minimun payment is 55.

lol

I'm paying 115. A number I picked myself.

The whole thing is a joke.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i will just simply not be paying even a dollar. b's got my back baby! 2024! round 2! fight!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

cumpantry posted:

i will just simply not be paying even a dollar. b's got my back baby! 2024! round 2! fight!

this

you aren't having it held against you allegedly for the first year anyways

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Where do you go to sign up for SAVE?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

I. M. Gei posted:

Where do you go to sign up for SAVE?

I did it through Nelnet but I think it took me offsite to student loans dot gov

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
The SAVE plan seems to suck! I was paying $120/month on IBR and SAVE wants me to pay $600 and now I kind of want to die.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

you're SAVing some banker's fifth marriage by letting him buy a boat for his mistress without needing to dip into his main account

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I'm kinda glad I gave up trying to figure out SAVE now . . .

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The site on which you apply lists the payment you'd be making before you agree to anything and compares all the plans available to you on the same page before you make any commitments.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

aniviron posted:

The site on which you apply lists the payment you'd be making before you agree to anything and compares all the plans available to you on the same page before you make any commitments.

it suggested $90

i did not get $90

that's literally what everyone's complaining about

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Advantage still showing $0 for me so another victory!
Once it catches up I’ll probably just enroll in school again so I can kick that can down the road to the next Presidential term where it’ll definitely be forgiven.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My payment is due today but Nelnet is still processing the SAVE stuff so I still don’t really have a clue what I’ll be expected to pay on a monthly basis. I’m assuming and preparing for the worst. Very stressful!

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Check that your payments actually processed folks! I signed up for auto-debit on Nelnet and the scheduled payment for 10/14 just silently failed and didn’t process. It pushed to the November debit and is bitching that I have a late payment due. No notification about any of this I only know because I checked if the payment had gone out.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

how's this going?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Woke Mind Virus posted:

how's this going?

Biden paid off my loans

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Woke Mind Virus posted:

how's this going?

Joe Biden, the best president of the modern era, succeeded. Thank you for asking.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

thwe op is unfortunately threadbanned so the status of this is unknown atm

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ALL YOUR LOANS ARE BELONG TO US

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

thwe op is unfortunately threadbanned so the status of this is unknown atm

Lmao

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I've deleted every email from Nelnet. I've never logged in. I've never picked up their calls. I never updated my address when I moved. I didn't touch their tax info emails.

Any forgiveness portal or form or whatever just seems like a venus fly trap to acknowledge I exist.

US Gov doesn't need any more of my $ to blow up Palestinian hospitals and drone strike babies.

I'm riding this out til I'm a skeleton.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Smugworth posted:

Biden paid off my loans

Biden didn't pay off my loans

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I changed my repayment plan, I'm one year into the 10 year public service loan forgiveness, I might see the end of my loans before I die.

Low bars to clear, but I cleared it.

040324_5
Apr 4, 2024
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 4, 2024

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

I felt that I qualified for the Borrower Defense Application process that was rolled out a few years ago but website always crashed when I tried to apply, even after waiting months between attempts.

Then my friend sent me a link after it helped one of her friends, it's a 3rd party site that takes the application information you submit to them and they get it processed with the federal site. After some time, I forgot about it, assuming it didn't work, until I got a letter in the mail saying it was accepted. This was after the republicans took the federal forgiveness issue to the supreme court to jam everything up, this still made it through.

If you think you can qualify for any reason, or even if you don't think so, you should try this link! They refunded ALL federal loans, including the interest paid on them. No private loan forgiveness, but it was still lifechanging for me!

https://www.ppsl.org/get-help

Since the administration seemed to actually be trying to process loan forgiveness, I think there may be a chance that they will help anyone who goes through these channels even if you don't/barely qualify. It gives them something to grab on to so they can get around the blanket forgiveness that is stalled... I admit this is only my speculation, but if one goon can get help through this, then I'm happy to share!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Been working for the state for 10 years now, made my 120th payment last week. Employment fully certified today, Mohela put me on administrative forbearance. It's happening??? :piss:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Antiquated Pants posted:

I felt that I qualified for the Borrower Defense Application process that was rolled out a few years ago but website always crashed when I tried to apply, even after waiting months between attempts.

Then my friend sent me a link after it helped one of her friends, it's a 3rd party site that takes the application information you submit to them and they get it processed with the federal site. After some time, I forgot about it, assuming it didn't work, until I got a letter in the mail saying it was accepted. This was after the republicans took the federal forgiveness issue to the supreme court to jam everything up, this still made it through.

If you think you can qualify for any reason, or even if you don't think so, you should try this link! They refunded ALL federal loans, including the interest paid on them. No private loan forgiveness, but it was still lifechanging for me!

https://www.ppsl.org/get-help

Since the administration seemed to actually be trying to process loan forgiveness, I think there may be a chance that they will help anyone who goes through these channels even if you don't/barely qualify. It gives them something to grab on to so they can get around the blanket forgiveness that is stalled... I admit this is only my speculation, but if one goon can get help through this, then I'm happy to share!

Is that form all there is? Some of those check boxes are vague enough they seem to apply to me. Pretty sure I hosed myself after graduating deferring so much and just upping my loan amount essentially, student loans bills are more than my rent. The worst ones are through some lovely Texas education board that are exempt from basically any federal help ever because they are lil Texan shits I guess. Feels kinda weird to tattle on the school I went to to kick off a loan forgiveness but it's also not like I've ever used the degree to gain employment, so gently caress em. spent like 10 years just scraping by working as a server before getting an art job and I got that because they were small companies who saw my art, and I was hired at both of those before formally filling out an application to even list my degree. Also they charged me for busses and I never once took one, I literally lived on campus or across the street from it. I will take fed loan refund as my carbon credit for walking instead of use bus gas.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Khanstant posted:

Is that form all there is? Some of those check boxes are vague enough they seem to apply to me. Pretty sure I hosed myself after graduating deferring so much and just upping my loan amount essentially, student loans bills are more than my rent. The worst ones are through some lovely Texas education board that are exempt from basically any federal help ever because they are lil Texan shits I guess. Feels kinda weird to tattle on the school I went to to kick off a loan forgiveness but it's also not like I've ever used the degree to gain employment, so gently caress em. spent like 10 years just scraping by working as a server before getting an art job and I got that because they were small companies who saw my art, and I was hired at both of those before formally filling out an application to even list my degree. Also they charged me for busses and I never once took one, I literally lived on campus or across the street from it. I will take fed loan refund as my carbon credit for walking instead of use bus gas.

That's all I filled out. I graduated at the end of 2011 then spent years temping across the US trying to find something stable. Even after almost a decade at a corporate job that supposedly paid well, I was still drowning in this debt. I was really lucky this forgiveness happened because I ended up quitting that job due to hating it so much and knowing I would never be able to afford a house with it, and started my own business. Then the forgiveness came through and I felt like I was set free. Now I have self-employment issues, sure, but now I can keep up with all my bills and I hardly work at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Wanted to share some good news I got over the weekend. I made my 300th payment on my loans last month and got an email Saturday saying that my balance is eligible for forgiveness! I won't believe it til I see a 0 on Nelnet, but hey, good poo poo.