Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Azubah posted:

If I paid off my loans during the freeze, should I get a refund for that and do this form or do just the form because it'll take that payoff into account?

Get the refund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
FYI if you're abroad you'll have to use a VPN. They're blocking non US IP addresses. Application in!

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001
My brother and me didn't make the deadline for people to get private FFEL loans forgiven... how could we know? There was no deadline... but we missed it and are sad.

This personally hurts me and my family a ton. I'm glad for all those people who made the cut... but this really hurts.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Azubah posted:

If I paid off my loans during the freeze, should I get a refund for that and do this form or do just the form because it'll take that payoff into account?

You should receive automatic forgiveness if you apply based off of the current information on the website.

https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/debt-relief-info

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Get the refund.

Yeah it only took me like, what? Ten seconds? Eleven tops.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Get the refund.

I did this but was quoted 3-4 weeks to "process the refund" then another 7-8 weeks to receive the funds from OSLA. Just did the application now anyway.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ramen Pride! posted:

My brother and me didn't make the deadline for people to get private FFEL loans forgiven... how could we know? There was no deadline... but we missed it and are sad.

This personally hurts me and my family a ton. I'm glad for all those people who made the cut... but this really hurts.

This sucks.

When it was first announced, I was scrambling. I have just under $10k of FFEL loans from about 20 years ago. Owned by Navient. It took a few days of learning what the different web sites were actually telling me, but it seemed like I was fully private in my loan.

There was no official guidance from the government about what to do in that case. After a couple days, I decided to just take a swing at consolidation.
I went with Great Lakes and just got notified yesterday that the consolidated loan is finished -- initiated on August 27, completed on October 15.

Navient doesn't show the loan paid off, but navient sucks and I just removed auto pay from the account so they don't try to take more money out.

I had to try a couple times with the beta web site, but got through after a bit. Filled out the form and fingers crossed that I did it correctly.

Total bullshit to not have the private FFEL stuff sorted before the announcement... they had 2 years. :rolleyes:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

meatpimp posted:

This sucks.

When it was first announced, I was scrambling. I have just under $10k of FFEL loans from about 20 years ago. Owned by Navient. It took a few days of learning what the different web sites were actually telling me, but it seemed like I was fully private in my loan.

There was no official guidance from the government about what to do in that case. After a couple days, I decided to just take a swing at consolidation.
I went with Great Lakes and just got notified yesterday that the consolidated loan is finished -- initiated on August 27, completed on October 15.

Navient doesn't show the loan paid off, but navient sucks and I just removed auto pay from the account so they don't try to take more money out.

I had to try a couple times with the beta web site, but got through after a bit. Filled out the form and fingers crossed that I did it correctly.

Total bullshit to not have the private FFEL stuff sorted before the announcement... they had 2 years. :rolleyes:

If you initiated the consolidation before September 29th and you consolidated to a direct loan, then you should be good on forgiveness. Congrats.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

My wife attended the Art Institute of Colorado in the 90’s. Does anyone know anything about the borrower defense to loan repayment program as it applies to them?

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
To be clear, before I fill that out, does that impact my eventual loan discharge after 10 years and qualifying payments in PSLF? I’m paranoid. It’s not gonna be like oops rear end in a top hat you can’t have both?

I won’t be able to pay my loans off before because of how much I owe but the -$10k should lower my monthly payment by a little I hope.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

KIT HAGS posted:

To be clear, before I fill that out, does that impact my eventual loan discharge after 10 years and qualifying payments in PSLF? I’m paranoid. It’s not gonna be like oops rear end in a top hat you can’t have both?

I won’t be able to pay my loans off before because of how much I owe but the -$10k should lower my monthly payment by a little I hope.

Looking at the requirements it doesn't say anything but:

https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service posted:

be employed by a U.S. federal, state, local, or tribal government or not-for-profit organization (federal service includes U.S. military service);

work full-time for that agency or organization;

have Direct Loans (or consolidate other federal student loans into a Direct Loan);

repay your loans under an income-driven repayment plan*; and

make 120 qualifying payments.

So you're probably good.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Submitted my application - that is perhaps the simplest government form I have ever filled out.

Knocking 20 grand off my $156k debt will be nice, even if it feels like a drop in the bucket.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

rifles posted:

I did this but was quoted 3-4 weeks to "process the refund" then another 7-8 weeks to receive the funds from OSLA. Just did the application now anyway.

I did the same, had paid off my loans during the pandemic. Called Myfedloan to have them refund them, was quoted 2 weeks to to months for the refund. Also submitted the beta request for loan forgiveness. I think I only paid $9200 during that time, but I would have been eligible for the full $20k since I had gotten Pell grants. Oh well, I’ll take whatever I can get

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

MOHELA has approximately 1000 hours of automated messages before you get to call options, one message is claiming that payments made during the pause that brought your balance below your relief amount will be automatically refunded.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Where is the application for the debt relief? I went to studentaid.gov and its not on there?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Hollismason posted:

Where is the application for the debt relief? I went to studentaid.gov and its not on there?

https://studentaid.gov/debt-relief/application

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Thank you!

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Application submitted. If only filing taxes was this easy!

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Dicty Bojangles posted:

The US government could actually make it easier and even automatically file taxes for many people. Companies like TurboTax actively fought against reforming things to make the process easier for people and have succeeded. Republicans also have a vested interest in making filing taxes irritating.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dicty Bojangles posted:

Yeah, I was telling my parents, trust me this will be easy, and my mom was like yeah it was. Still did it for them and my sister since it really was easy. Hell I did my wife’s when she was asleep. lol

I wonder what the timeline realistically is going to be for finding out if you get a refund back (well more just the amount).

Obama2
Oct 22, 2021
Indians are calling me about student debt forgiveness but I never went to college. What gives?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Is there any description of how the forgiveness amount will be applied? For example I have 7 separate federal direct loans on my account. If I recall on Nelnet if you let it automatically distribute your lump payment it would cover the minimum on each account then apply the remainder to the highest interest rate account.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Thanks to this thread, I did the beta application and called my service to complain that they haven't processed my refund yet.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Thanks to this thread, I did the beta application and called my service to complain that they haven't processed my refund yet.

:911:

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I’m getting told 75 to 90 days processing for a refund from Nelnet. So I should probably wait until the balance is back onto my account before I apply for forgiveness? Hopefully before the end of this year.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
What's the general turn around time to submitting to be notified if you qualify or not?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Telsa Cola posted:

What's the general turn around time to submitting to be notified if you qualify or not?

No clue, but the DOE documents say they expect most applications to be processed and debt to be forgiven within 45 days of the program going live. I'm not sure if the beta sign-up counts as live, but it will probably be only a few days difference.

I expect a lot of people will have it done in less than 45 days, but technically the answer is somewhere between 1 and 45 days.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Steve Jorbs posted:

Is there any description of how the forgiveness amount will be applied? For example I have 7 separate federal direct loans on my account. If I recall on Nelnet if you let it automatically distribute your lump payment it would cover the minimum on each account then apply the remainder to the highest interest rate account.

Curious how this works as well

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

No clue, but the DOE documents say they expect most applications to be processed and debt to be forgiven within 45 days of the program going live. I'm not sure if the beta sign-up counts as live, but it will probably be only a few days difference.

I expect a lot of people will have it done in less than 45 days, but technically the answer is somewhere between 1 and 45 days.

Thank you for your response and this thread. I've got a million things on my plate so being able to ask questions like that helps a ton.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Steve Jorbs posted:

This is what the DOE says are the criteria it uses to determine where to apply the money:

quote:

Which of my loans will be forgiven first?

Here’s how qualifying loans are prioritized, when forgiveness is applied:

Defaulted loans: Forgiveness will first be applied to any loans you may have defaulted on, Kantrowitz said.
Highest interest rate: The relief will then be directed at your loans with the highest interest rate, he said.
Loan type: Unsubsidized loans will get cancellation before subsidized loans.

“If everything is the same, which is unlikely, they will apply it to the most recent loan,” Kantrowitz said. “If that doesn’t differentiate, then they’ll apply it to the loans with the lowest balance.”

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I read the op but i see a bunch of action... theres new info it seems like the new website https://studentaid.gov/debt-relief/application the way to go?

i got a sibling and brother in law with debts from college can they check that on this website or do they need to get records on their own first?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 18, 2022

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Wendigee posted:

I read the op but i see a bunch of action... theres new info it seems like the new website https://studentaid.gov/debt-relief/application the way to go?

i got a sibling and brother in law with debts from college can they check that on this website or do they need to get records on their own first?

That is the correct URL, yes.

They don't need to check anything. They don't need to collect or prepare any records. They can just apply. The only thing they need to be sure of is that they didn't earn more than $125k each (or $250k total if they filed their taxes together) in both 2020 and 2021. They should presumably already know this, but if they aren't certain they can always go to https://ssa.gov and check the gross income that the government has on file for them for those years.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

That is the correct URL, yes.

They don't need to check anything. They don't need to collect or prepare any records. They can just apply. The only thing they need to be sure of is that they didn't earn more than $125k each (or $250k total if they filed their taxes together) in both 2020 and 2021. They should presumably already know this, but if they aren't certain they can always go to https://ssa.gov and check the gross income that the government has on file for them for those years.

thank you sincerely for the break down. They should definitely qualify and maybe this website will actually get them to do it.

[edit] it doesn't matter how old the school loan is as long as they are not making over 125k (never made that) and still paying it each year?

because they don't and have been paying it for like 15 years at this point

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 18, 2022

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

The only thing they need to be sure of is that they didn't earn more than $125k each (or $250k total if they filed their taxes together) in both 2020 and 2021. They should presumably already know this, but if they aren't certain they can always go to https://ssa.gov and check the gross income that the government has on file for them for those years.

Per the application, it specifically says your 2020 OR 2021 income. It also says the income qualification is based off of your adjusted gross income (line 11 on 1040), not your gross income.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Cacafuego posted:

Per the application, it specifically says your 2020 OR 2021 income. It also says the income qualification is based off of your adjusted gross income (line 11 on 1040), not your gross income.

Right, being below the income threshold for 2020 or 2021 means you qualify. So you don't qualify only if you were above the threshold for both 2020 and 2021.

!(X || Y) == (!X && !Y)

EDIT:

Also, the income numbers at ssa.gov aren't exactly your AGI, but they're very close. If you don't have your tax returns for those two years available it should be close enough to confirm that you're below the threshold or not. Since the number there might be a couple of grand higher than your actual AGI, if you're just over the threshold there then it'll be time to dig around to find your tax returns to be certain.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 18, 2022

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

This is what the DOE says are the criteria it uses to determine where to apply the money:
Thanks for the info, in retrospect that's probably how Nelnet distributes the payments as well. My highest rate loans are also unsubsidized (lol).

I was curious what would happen since the forgiveness will potentially be closing out a lot of people's oldest, and maybe only, lines of credit.

Obama2
Oct 22, 2021
How many of you actually opened up excel and calculated all of this poo poo before you registered for classes and how many of you just decided to wing it and figure it out later

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Obama2 posted:

How many of you actually opened up excel and calculated all of this poo poo before you registered for classes and how many of you just decided to wing it and figure it out later

Vast majority of people go to college in the window of years where they are at their stupidest so take a guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Obama2 posted:

Thank you for your input, concerned tax payer :patriot: