Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

My understanding is that any loan listed as DIRECT is eligable.

So, here's my dashboard (with the amounts blocked out); you can see that because I have Pell grants listed, I'll be getting the 20k relief; if you have the same (on studentaid.gov), you're eligable for the expanded relief:

Then, if you go to the Breakdown and your loans are listed as "Direct", you get some of that forgiven.

(Any word on if it comes off the subsidized or unsubsidized amount first? Or do we get an option to direct it?)

Also, the new IDR plans will cap out at 5%, include more deductions to reduce what does and does not count as "disposable income", and interest cannot raise the amount owed over the initial principle, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

KIT HAGS posted:

To be clear, before I fill that out, does that impact my eventual loan discharge after 10 years and qualifying payments in PSLF? I’m paranoid. It’s not gonna be like oops rear end in a top hat you can’t have both?

I won’t be able to pay my loans off before because of how much I owe but the -$10k should lower my monthly payment by a little I hope.

Looking at the requirements it doesn't say anything but:

https://studentaid.gov/manage-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service posted:

be employed by a U.S. federal, state, local, or tribal government or not-for-profit organization (federal service includes U.S. military service);

work full-time for that agency or organization;

have Direct Loans (or consolidate other federal student loans into a Direct Loan);

repay your loans under an income-driven repayment plan*; and

make 120 qualifying payments.

So you're probably good.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Malaria posted:

I got my email today.

Gonna print it out and frame it.

Payments resume next month. Wonder if they will extend the freeze?

End of January is when they resume, I believe. So first payments would be the February ones.

I can see it going both ways; he's indicated a lack of will for extending the pause, but I think if something that's ultimately going to be part of his legacy is delayed like this, he might.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Len posted:

The headlines have been saying that the white house is considering extending since payments resuming was based on this forgiveness going through

As much as I'm not a doomer, I honestly didn't expect this.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Exactly the same as the odds of them winning the legal case.

Which is technically 50/50, but actually unknowable.

If they win the case/get the injunction lifted, then the application is supposed to stay up through December 2023.

Unknowable is probably the best answer. Theoretically, the suit shouldn't have standing as far as I know (the two who are suing because they didn't qualify for the program in Texas is definitely some "own the libs" judge overstepping judicial bounds), but McConnel's spent the last few years packing the courts, so....

It's a land of contrasts.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Beefed Owl posted:

That's very possible, they won't cut you a break if you only haven't been paying in like the last 6 months. Also if it is purely a fed loan I don't think you can negotiate those down but you can negotiate payments with them without having to go through the shithole process of trying to prove your income every 6 months if you haven't been paying for a long time. As far as I know part of this deal includes allowing students to renegotiate their payment plans so they don't have to pay $400 a month if they can't, while also keeping them from putting it all towards interest so that you never pay down the principle balance.

I remember seeing a thing a couple years ago where someone had $80,000 in student debt was paying $400 a month for it and the interest was so high that it only paid the interest and they would literally never pay off the loan.

Our education system is so loving cool.

An underdiscussed part of the Biden Plan (for lack of a better name) is that IDR plans will result in smaller monthly payments and IIRC the interest cannot exceed principle or won't add to principle or something like that.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Trollipop posted:

I dropped out of University in 2012 and haven't paid back a dime on my student loans since then. At the time, I don't think I was eligible for a Pell Grant because I was still being claimed as dependent. Since I've gotten a bit older, I've taken community college classes and received a pell grant. Since I've received a pell grant since I've taken out my loans, will I be eligible for $20k in forgiveness or just $10k?

My understanding is that it'll be if you have a pell grant listed at all on StudentAid.gov:

Neito posted:

My understanding is that any loan listed as DIRECT is eligable.

So, here's my dashboard (with the amounts blocked out); you can see that because I have Pell grants listed, I'll be getting the 20k relief; if you have the same (on studentaid.gov), you're eligable for the expanded relief:

Then, if you go to the Breakdown and your loans are listed as "Direct", you get some of that forgiven.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I bet RFK's stance on student debt forgiveness is that it'd be a powerful injection into the US economy.

idk RFK Jr.'s shown that he's pretty against most injections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

There's at least the murmurs of organizing for a mass default strike. Not sure how I feel about that; not morally, I think it's a morally justified and good idea at this point, but pragmatically it's a huge risk, in that if it accomplishes nothing a large portion of people are going to gently caress themselves over. Very Prisoner's Dilema.