Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Hence why SoFI was blasting out emails about getting student loans consolidated with them multiple times a day basically every day this year. Just so much spam from them trying to get as many people as possible locked in to their debt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

This thread being sticky'd had me hopeful that the income form has gone live. I'm guessing if it hasn't happened yet it probably won't be today.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

The beta is back up and taking submissions:

https://studentaid.gov/debt-relief/application

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Hollismason posted:

Where is the application for the debt relief? I went to studentaid.gov and its not on there?

https://studentaid.gov/debt-relief/application

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Wendigee posted:

I read the op but i see a bunch of action... theres new info it seems like the new website https://studentaid.gov/debt-relief/application the way to go?

i got a sibling and brother in law with debts from college can they check that on this website or do they need to get records on their own first?

That is the correct URL, yes.

They don't need to check anything. They don't need to collect or prepare any records. They can just apply. The only thing they need to be sure of is that they didn't earn more than $125k each (or $250k total if they filed their taxes together) in both 2020 and 2021. They should presumably already know this, but if they aren't certain they can always go to https://ssa.gov and check the gross income that the government has on file for them for those years.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Cacafuego posted:

Per the application, it specifically says your 2020 OR 2021 income. It also says the income qualification is based off of your adjusted gross income (line 11 on 1040), not your gross income.

Right, being below the income threshold for 2020 or 2021 means you qualify. So you don't qualify only if you were above the threshold for both 2020 and 2021.

!(X || Y) == (!X && !Y)

EDIT:

Also, the income numbers at ssa.gov aren't exactly your AGI, but they're very close. If you don't have your tax returns for those two years available it should be close enough to confirm that you're below the threshold or not. Since the number there might be a couple of grand higher than your actual AGI, if you're just over the threshold there then it'll be time to dig around to find your tax returns to be certain.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 18, 2022

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Haven't gotten the Department of Education email yet, but I have gotten 4 email today from SoFi. All of them begging me to use them to use their private loan consolidation (which would, of course, make the loans ineligible for forgiveness). They're clearly trying their hardest to rope in every sucker they can during this time in limbo.

EDIT:

5 emails now. This latest one says I can be entered into a sweepstakes for a chance to win $75k and a trip to Hawaii.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 21, 2022

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I don't even think Biden has a plan for the supreme court?

Edit: It's intentionally designed to be difficult to change so :shrug:

Basically, every time there's been a terrible ruling someone on hammer-and-sickle-avatar Twitter will propose some "1 weird trick!" idea that will get around the ruling/defang the court/etc. (When they overturned Roe there was an argument that Biden could immediately approve the Equal Rights Amendment to reverse the decision, even though the amendment failed to pass and has been dead since 1982.) These proposed plans then spread through the online game of telephone until some people are convinced that they are actual solutions and not complete pipe dreams. They then see the fact that Biden isn't going through with them as a sign that he secretly agrees with SCOTUS.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

pseudanonymous posted:

The part where, instead of just forgiving loans on day 1 he announced the plan and gave out the details specifically to give time for injunctions so he could be stopped.

Do you really not get this? Like truly? At some point when Charlie Brown keeps handing the football to Lucy to hold for the kick it’s his fault, not hers.

I mean, if you think he could get away with just wiping the loans immediately, then what do you think could stop the next Republican president from immediately undoing that and re-instating the loans (plus extra interest because "gently caress you")?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Serious_Cyclone posted:

This is a take completely ignorant of how anything actually works.

Yeah, it's another case of:

LanceHunter posted:

Basically, every time there's been a terrible ruling someone on hammer-and-sickle-avatar Twitter will propose some "1 weird trick!" idea that will get around the ruling/defang the court/etc. (When they overturned Roe there was an argument that Biden could immediately approve the Equal Rights Amendment to reverse the decision, even though the amendment failed to pass and has been dead since 1982.) These proposed plans then spread through the online game of telephone until some people are convinced that they are actual solutions and not complete pipe dreams. They then see the fact that Biden isn't going through with them as a sign that he secretly agrees with SCOTUS.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Cousin Todd posted:

He just announced he's going to go around SCOTUS and use the higher education act

This will be interesting...

New York Times posted:

The Higher Education Act gives the secretary of education the power to “compromise, waive or release any right, title, claim, lien or demand, however acquired, including any equity or any right of redemption.”

EDIT:

New York Times posted:

In his remarks just now, Biden said using the Higher Education Act would take longer than his original plan, but he called it “legally sound” and said, “In my view, it’s the best path that remains to providing as many borrowers as possible with debt relief.” He said that he had directed his team to move forward as quickly as possible, and that Education Secretary Miguel Cardona had just taken the first step to start the process.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 30, 2023

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Here's more info on the hoops that will have to be jumped through for the next plan to be enacted.

quote:

SUMMARY: We announce our intention to establish a negotiated rulemaking committee to prepare proposed regulations for the Federal Student Aid programs authorized under title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended (HEA). The committee will include representatives of organizations or groups with interests that are significantly affected by the subject matter of the proposed regulations. We also announce one public hearing at which interested parties may comment on the topic suggested by the Department and may suggest additional topics that we should consider for action by the negotiating committee. In addition, we announce that the Department will accept written comments on the topics suggested by the Department and suggestions for additional topics that we should consider for action by the negotiating committee.

Since they have to form a committee, then get stakeholder and public feedback, they probably can't announce specifics since doing so would be used as evidence that the procedure wasn't properly followed when the inevitable lawsuit comes up.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I feel like the wink-wink nudge-nudge calls for political violence should be more mocked for the fact that they are just an evolution of the old practice of being an internet tough-guy. For example:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Just saying, maybe you have two people go for it at the same time, they wouldn't have to drive far

You aren’t gonna do poo poo, op. You know it and we all know it.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Maed posted:

drat you really really hate poor people, what did they ever do to you?

drat you must really hate poor people to automatically equate uneducated with poor, particularly when the uneducated people who are turning hardest to fascism are often middle class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Zarin posted:

Maybe a silly question, but if I apply for SAVE or whatever, what happens if I make "too much"?

I'd assume that nothing happens and I just pay whatever I've been paying, but I guess my concern is if I'd end up locking myself into an accelerated rate (above and beyond what I'd pay if I had done literally nothing).

I'd like to think that's not a thing but hell idk

If you go through the application, it shows you the final amount you’ll be paying under the plan. You can then choose if you want to actually sign up for it or not (basically choosing your preferred payback plan). So no harm in at least going through the application to see your options.