Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Homunculus
May 22, 2017

Zarin posted:

I'm not certain if they were pause-eligible or not, now that I think about it. Great Lakes did it automatically I think but I didn't consider that maybe Navient was less helpful about it.

Edit: now that I think about it I'm pretty sure they were still charging me interest this whole time though

I had four federal loans - as of the payment pause, 2 were at Great Lakes and 2 were at Navient. I was confused that my Navient loans were still autopaying and accumulating interest while the other two automatically froze. After a frustrating afternoon I figured out that the Navient loans were FFELP - I got them through FAFSA and they were federally backed but privately owned. If you took out federal loans pre-2010 they may be FFELP.

I was paying the Navient loans well into 2022 when I found out (I think from Twitter) that I could consolidate all four into a Federal Direct loan and stop having to make payments while the pause was in effect. The interest rate went up a teensy bit but it ended up saving my butt in that the whole loan amount is now eligible for forgiveness.

The whole FFELP thing is so frustrating. The servicers really did not want people to know that they could consolidate them into Federal Direct and now it's too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU