Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I had read that if I already filed my taxes in 2020 and 2021, I pretty much don't need to worry about anything, all of this should be taken care of automatically, is this true or we don't really know yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

buglord posted:

Are you on a pay as you earn repayment plan?

I've been on the normal default payment plan for the last 6 years, so whatever Great Lakes sets it to once you graduate from college. But I have been very privileged to be able to pay off basically all of the interest and a bunch of the loans already, I got my student loan from $56,000 down to $16,000 and then stopped because I didn't need to start paying it back again until sometime in 2024 because I was so far ahead (they called me and acted very annoyed because the profit is in the interest, they were not happy about what i was doing lol), and also because the pandemic putting a freeze.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Only if you provided your taxes to the DOE or verified your income with them in some way for 2020 or 2021 (FAFSA, IBR certification, etc.).

Just filing them to the IRS doesn't mean it will happen automatically.

Thank you, that answers my question. I will have some paperwork to fill out then.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I didnt even know you could default on your student loan, I thought that wasn't possible.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I thought it was pretty much impossible to stop an executive order from the president, but I guess we will find out soon enough! Also since these are federal loans, why would states even care? What right do they have to even challenge this?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

poisonpill posted:

Don’t blame the people actually trying to do it for all the people left behind. Blame the people who don’t want loan forgiveness at all, and are trying to kneecap it an make it painful as possible in order to generate hate.

Yeah, the people trying to stop this are massively evil.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

The beta is back up and taking submissions:

https://studentaid.gov/debt-relief/application

I was able to get in my application. Hoping for good news.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So for now just expect to be paying our student loans back come January 2023? That is what I am working off of currently, and am trying to base my monthly spending around that assumption.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Looks like I spoke too soon and Biden had the same idea.

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1593355563781480450

That is the exact opposite of a good idea though. And applying for bankruptcy is not easy or cheap.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Oops apologies I put that in wrong thread :(

To be fair, that post kinda fits this thread. I mean, these are the people who are making decisions for how to run and lead the country. It's no wonder things are such a mess, and why they think that student loan forgiveness means that everyone else will be paying for our loans.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Nov 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

I got an email about a half hour ago from what appears to be a legit source stating that I was approved for debt relief but they can't do anything because lawsuits. Has anyone else gotten an email like this?

I have gotten this e-mail too.