Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Kawalimus posted:

That's why I want Ken Dorsey here.

I love Ken Dorsey and think he's way better than Daboll our last OC, but Kawalimus he is WAY too hot blooded to be a HC right now.

He's too mercurial right now to be a Head Coach for anyone.

I'm not even just talking about him going ballistic after the Dolphins game.

During training camp McDermott wanted to put him into different game situations to see how he would react. He cut the comms from Dorsey to the offensive players to simulate losing comms in a game which, although rare, does happen.

I haven't heard the specifics but from all accounts Dorsey did not react well and was extremely pissed off.

That lead to Dorsey needing to clarify that he's "not a psychopath" in a press conference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

haljordan posted:

How much do those stupid cheese head hats go for at the stadium?

They are either $24.99 for adult size or $19.99 for a child size

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Kawalimus posted:

More thoughts on Ravens vs Bills:

I usually don't pay much attention to QB vs QB narratives because they don't play each other directly. But I think yesterday it was very clear between Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson who the better QB is. And it's not even really close. Lamar Jackson has this uncanny ability to be unstoppable and godlike one moment and lost and inept the next. This, of course, is not always all his fault. But yesterday he was the inferior passer and the inferior runner to Josh Allen. I really strongly suspect the Ravens do not do much gameplanning at all on offense and instead have the regular early scripted plays and then Roman calls poo poo absolutely randomly the rest of the game just hoping Lamar makes enough big plays to get the job done.

What I would love the Ravens to do is fire John Harbaugh at the end of this season and hire Ken Dorsey the Bills OC. I looked him up and he was the QBs coach for them from 2019 to 2021 and now is OC. So he is the main guy who was working with Josh Allen while he transformed from possible bust to possibly best QB in the NFL. I also remember when he was QB at Miami University and with the Browns. As a coach he is young, smart, and clearly very invested and passionate about what he does. That is the kind of guy I want coaching my team. Not some special teams dope who doesn't do anything except stand on the sidelines looking bewildered.

One other thing is Hollywood Brown is quietly having a very good season over in Arizona. He is playing very well and I even saw him make contested catches. This is bad news for us if we don't get someone in here with Lamar who has a better idea how to gameplan using him. Because he'll see that offensive players from the Ravens go elsewhere and do better and that's what he'll want to do. I denied this could happen before and figured if we gave him the money he'd take it. But when I see Hollywood I'm not so sure. Plenty of coaches would love to have Lamar Jackson to work with. That's why I want Ken Dorsey here.

it genuinely feels like the wheels are slowly coming off for the ravens bc for...15-20? years their lackluster offensive playcalling and mediocre gameplans were covered up by absolutely obscene talent on the team. now that most of the talent is gone and its just Lamar making a mediocre team look far better than it should its starting to become more obvious that they don't have an offensive gameplan. i just keep thinking about what if lamar was on this eagles team or the 49ers or the vikings or hell even the lions.

to me the most damning thing about the ravens is i can think of many many teams lamar could go where he'd have better results.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Hot Diggity! posted:

That is shockingly less expensive than I expected.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Hot Diggity! posted:

I got one for $3 at a thrift store and I like to imagine its the missing piece of Pac Man.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
https://twitter.com/bcondotta/status/1576941830440378370

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

pff remains dumb. the guy getting outdueled by mariota and demolished by the 49ers is the best graded qb bc he dropped a ton of points on the leagues worst defense and had a decent outing against denver. totally makes sense

all these metrics are so useless.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1577049556193116161?t=I9ytEnJaH7yHlhkllu5lYQ&s=19

Not surprising, but official

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Relentlessboredomm posted:

it genuinely feels like the wheels are slowly coming off for the ravens bc for...15-20? years their lackluster offensive playcalling and mediocre gameplans were covered up by absolutely obscene talent on the team. now that most of the talent is gone and its just Lamar making a mediocre team look far better than it should its starting to become more obvious that they don't have an offensive gameplan. i just keep thinking about what if lamar was on this eagles team or the 49ers or the vikings or hell even the lions.

to me the most damning thing about the ravens is i can think of many many teams lamar could go where he'd have better results.

this is kinda funny because for the longest time the narrative was "Lamar can't throw and he went to one of the few teams who could make him work by leaning on his particular skillset"

also, the roster is good. not one of the best, and they miss top players on premium positions (WR and especially EDGE), but it should be good enough to go into a deep playoff run when its QB is top ~5 in the league.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I love that panthers fans are rending their garments over being the worst team in the NFL while not even being last in the division, and may not even have the worst offense in their division!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ehud posted:

I could see a scenario where Darnold was drafted by a good team and turned into a decent QB, but I think the ship has sailed on him. He's too broken at this point.

Also, good to see some noise being made on the Brate thing. I don't want Tua's death to be in vain.

https://twitter.com/TonyDungy/status/1576936991538655232?s=20&t=ANEIJa2kVPC23oaa2CMzKQ

shocked to see tony dungy not being ok with someone being hung out to dry.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Every one of those teams had the chance to draft him and passed, many in favor of shittier prospects who fit the more “traditional” QB mold. At the time the Ravens were seen as taking a big gamble, especially combined with retooling their offensive staff to ease his transition into the league.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

really queer Christmas posted:

I love that panthers fans are rending their garments over being the worst team in the NFL while not even being last in the division, and may not even have the worst offense in their division!

I just heard this on Robert Mays' podcast a minute ago, and uhhhhh, uhhhhhh

Look at these Cap hits for 2023 from their offense
$25m - DJ Moore
$22m - Robbie Anderson
$20m - Christian McCaffrey
--- OL ---
$25m - Taylor Moton
$11m - Austin Corbett

Of course, the Saints are a magical christmas land in this department, but still, jesus

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

I can't put my finger exactly on why but this reminds me of one of those old cryptid "photos."

I didn't read the rest of the thread but it's probably the Patterson-Gimlin video because of the way the arms are swinging

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Mystic Stylez posted:

this is kinda funny because for the longest time the narrative was "Lamar can't throw and he went to one of the few teams who could make him work by leaning on his particular skillset"

also, the roster is good.

Yeah you guys are taking this too hard. Kawalimus is excluded because he's just acting like himself.

I don't even put this poo poo on Harbaugh he's a really good coach and I doubt Benne is going to put him hotter in his thread.
Hell I see the logic in going for it on 4th down too.

Sometimes the grass isn't always greener.

It's possible a new OC gets Lamar to the next level but it's also possible Lamar will regress.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

pasaluki posted:

I love Ken Dorsey and think he's way better than Daboll our last OC, but Kawalimus he is WAY too hot blooded to be a HC right now.

He's too mercurial right now to be a Head Coach for anyone.

I'm not even just talking about him going ballistic after the Dolphins game.

During training camp McDermott wanted to put him into different game situations to see how he would react. He cut the comms from Dorsey to the offensive players to simulate losing comms in a game which, although rare, does happen.

I haven't heard the specifics but from all accounts Dorsey did not react well and was extremely pissed off.

That lead to Dorsey needing to clarify that he's "not a psychopath" in a press conference.

To me this would all depend on whether his being hot headed is causing him to snap at players or not and also how he recovers from it. If he gets real mad but then recovers from it and still works to get the job done and wins games then it doesn't matter to me how hot he gets. As long as it's not malicious like Bob Knight that much doesn't matter to me. And if the team is doing well and winning that smooths a lot of things over.

it genuinely feels like the wheels are slowly coming off for the ravens bc for...15-20? years their lackluster offensive playcalling and mediocre gameplans were covered up by absolutely obscene talent on the team.

I kind of see it this way myself but I don't know if the wheels are coming off necessarily. It's more that it's especially noticeable now because we have a QB that many see is a top talent and has a high ceiling that he isn't always reaching so there's more of a focus on things. Nobody outside cared much about Joe Flacco and how well he was doing most of the time. But Lamar is different. I kind of think of my comments about WRs and how we never really involve them but it hasn't hurt us for a long time because we kept winning anyway.

We do have good players though. Bateman has some drop issues but if he can work through those he will be solid. Duvernay is good. And of course there's Mark Andrews. We shouldn't be as ineffective as we are sometimes. Our main talent deficiency is our defensive front 7. That we have to do something about and have to hope Ojabo is a freak talent. Because Queen isn't very good. Oweh is maybe ok but not that top star talent we need. Madubuike is probably our best in that group. Then we have Houston and JPP who are mainly role players at this state in their career.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Amy Pole Her posted:

All coaches are going to be insanely hypocritical and pretend they would never ever have this happen on their team, either current or past. Gotta expect it.

Yeah when Harbaugh's little spiel was getting passed around the last couple of days about how he cannot believe anyone would do something like this... Well I was thinking about that time when Todd Heap flat out collapsed walking back to the huddle. Then he sat a few series and was right back in the game after 'tests' cleared him. After being listed as questionable on the injury report and not practicing with a 'neck injury' the week before.

Who was coaching the Ravens in 2010 when this happened I wonder?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

The Steelers will be punished for shunning the NVP

The punishment, if you're wondering, is to continue to be the current incarnation of the Pittsburgh Steelers

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah when Harbaugh's little spiel was getting passed around the last couple of days about how he cannot believe anyone would do something like this... Well I was thinking about that time when Todd Heap flat out collapsed walking back to the huddle. Then he sat a few series and was right back in the game after 'tests' cleared him. After being listed as questionable on the injury report and not practicing with a 'neck injury' the week before.

Who was coaching the Ravens in 2010 when this happened I wonder?

I remember this and was real mad about that at the time. Heap collapsed right on the field after his "stinger". That dude got his brain absolutely scrambled in his time here. Harbaugh is a joke of a man.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Steelers insufficiently committed to tittie kissing.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Don't get me wrong here, Mitch trubisky is loving awful and never should have been signed, but Matt Canada is still by far and away the biggest problem and there won't be a good way forward until he's fired (god willing at the end of the year because it sure aint happening before then)

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Lot of people talking up hurts as finally being elite and the next Josh Allen or whatever. I'm absolutely not sold, the insane talent he's been surrounded with is a valid explanation for his above average play. Specifically, I'm not sold on his passing, sure he's improved from sad to competent, but I don't think it's much above that. The pick yesterday was really loving bad. Late throw into double coverage that resulted in a funny pop up pick. One of the worst pass decisions he could have possibly made.

That said, watching Trevor Lawrence and that was some real awful stuff. Dude has absolute 0 pocket awareness. Got blown up multiple times for fumbles just standing there in the pocket until he got mauled by my dline boys. The pick was just as atrocious as hurts was, stared his receiver down the whole route from the snap, brain dead jump the route pick for the cover corner/safety.

Anyway I had a strombo for dinner and I'm still all bloated feeling this bad boy knocked me out

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

haljordan posted:

How much do those stupid cheese head hats go for at the stadium?
Answered up above, and for less than I expected.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 4, 2022

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kalli posted:

I just heard this on Robert Mays' podcast a minute ago, and uhhhhh, uhhhhhh

Look at these Cap hits for 2023 from their offense
$25m - DJ Moore
$22m - Robbie Anderson
$20m - Christian McCaffrey
--- OL ---
$25m - Taylor Moton
$11m - Austin Corbett

Of course, the Saints are a magical christmas land in this department, but still, jesus

Moore and Anderson are a lethal duo if you had a competent starter at QB and Moton and Corbett have been fine. McCaffrey contract is kind of whatever and yeah you shouldn't sign running backs but he was coming off a ridiculous season when he was extended.

Panthers fans arent frustrated because its a bad year, we're frustrated because its been 3 bad years in a row where all of our actual talent flashes some pretty high highs but there's just nothing behind it to take advantage and 0 faith in the coaching staff on either side to actually get it together. We know we're in for another bad year next year because it'll be a new coach and a whole new staff and a new QB room and likely another roster clean out because might as well swallow that cap pain in the first year or two before actually building something. So again - probably 2 years - if they don't gently caress up their hires, if they don't gently caress up their draft before we're back to being even close to competitive.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The amusing thing about the Ravens decision to go for it was its not like it was in OT or something. We're playing a lot of what-ifs here but the Bills moved down the field without much issue on that final drive and presumably could have tried to score with a bit more aggression had they needed to. So to reiterate, I do get and honestly did not mind going for the TD there but when it backfires the way it does you also have to expect being questioned about the decision.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

If I were Mike Tomlin I would be concerned about my options but he’s pretty great and can be a coach anywhere.

They’re a good org and will draft a new QB I think.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

soggybagel posted:

The amusing thing about the Ravens decision to go for it was its not like it was in OT or something. We're playing a lot of what-ifs here but the Bills moved down the field without much issue on that final drive and presumably could have tried to score with a bit more aggression had they needed to. So to reiterate, I do get and honestly did not mind going for the TD there but when it backfires the way it does you also have to expect being questioned about the decision.

It's also less that it didn't work out this one time and more that we've lost seven straight one-score games in a row now all of which had these sorts of decisions made. Like I said before, teams are straight up beating the Ravens every time when we do this stuff so Harbaugh should be ready to defend himself if he thinks it's really the right decision to keep doing these things and consider whether he should stop doing it or how else to improve the situation.

That's why I want to see Ken Dorsey as Ravens head coach because to me Harbaugh's response to being questioned is way worse as being hotheaded at times.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 4, 2022

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Yeah I mean he does go for it a lot and its blown up in the Ravens face before.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

If they kicked a FG and the Bills scored a TD there people would have killed him, too.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
EDIT: Not the GDT

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BlindSite posted:

we're frustrated because its been 3 bad years in a row where all of our actual talent flashes some pretty high highs but there's just nothing behind it to take advantage and 0 faith in the coaching staff on either side to actually get it together.

Been closer to 5 tbh

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

If they’d kicked the FG the Bills are driving the length of the field and people are second-guessing why he wasn’t more aggressive. The D alternates between being decent and forcing turnovers and stops and being 11 tackling dummies for the opposing O to navigate around, and they were definitely in the latter phase at the end of that game. I think they keep showing enough flashes that they’ll be able to gel properly as the season goes on, and now that the run game is something other than 3 Ghosts of RBs Past they should have the ability to grind out clock to kill games.

There are a whole lot of 2-2 teams right now and a whole lot of fluky wins and losses for pretty much everyone. Harbaugh has some poo poo to work out for sure, but it probably makes sense to wait until we’re further than 4 weeks into the season to decide that the Ravens have wasted Lamar’s career.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

fsif posted:

If they kicked a FG and the Bills scored a TD there people would have killed him, too.

No they wouldn't have they would have gone in on the defense. This approach has failed repeatedly over the last two seasons and the team needs to assess the situation and figure out what keeps going wrong, why it's going wrong, and what can be done to improve the situation in the future. I'm not opposed outright to going for it but three times now this season we have failed on crucial 4th downs and it's cost us games. Twice in the Miami game it happened.

I defended the times he went for two last season. And if he'd went for the FG and the Bills had scored I would say that sucks but I get why he didn't go for it there because it's been failing so constantly for one reason or another. And I would focus more on the 1st 2nd and 3rd down calls that failed to score and lost yardage rather than zoning in on just that 4th down play and decision.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Freaquency posted:

If they’d kicked the FG the Bills are driving the length of the field and people are second-guessing why he wasn’t more aggressive. The D alternates between being decent and forcing turnovers and stops and being 11 tackling dummies for the opposing O to navigate around, and they were definitely in the latter phase at the end of that game. I think they keep showing enough flashes that they’ll be able to gel properly as the season goes on, and now that the run game is something other than 3 Ghosts of RBs Past they should have the ability to grind out clock to kill games.

There are a whole lot of 2-2 teams right now and a whole lot of fluky wins and losses for pretty much everyone. Harbaugh has some poo poo to work out for sure, but it probably makes sense to wait until we’re further than 4 weeks into the season to decide that the Ravens have wasted Lamar’s career.

No I would absolutely not be saying those things.

And the losses themselves and 2-2 aren't an issue at all. But blowing a 21 point lead and a 17 point lead in four games is not "fluky" those are serious meltdowns where tons of stuff has to go wrong for it to happen. The 21 point thing in the 4th quarter is something that hadn't happened in over 700 games and a 17 point lead blown is also pretty rare and doesn't happen every week.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Been closer to 5 tbh

We've been hosed as a franchise since tj watt buried his helmet into cams throwing shoulder and its super lame.

At least Ekwonu looked a little better yesterday I guess.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Also looking at further breakdowns of the play, the 4th down failure was very clearly Lamar's fault more than anyone else. The playcall was good and two different guys got open and the RB wasn't even covered at the start. That's something Lamar needs to be able to recognize. And he's just not doing it. He's one this sort of thing repeatedly. If it happens just once or twice that's fine but it can't keep happening and happening.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Kawalimus posted:

No I would absolutely not be saying those things.

You naturally gravitate to the least charitable read of any situation so you’ll forgive me if I don’t believe you.

Lamar also had immediate pressure in his face so even if he did have the right read it’s not like it was a cakewalk TD.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Pat Mahomes is football’s Magic Johnson and it rules.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Lamar is clearly not a team player. No team will want him with such an attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Freaquency posted:

You naturally gravitate to the least charitable read of any situation so you’ll forgive me if I don’t believe you.

Lamar also had immediate pressure in his face so even if he did have the right read it’s not like it was a cakewalk TD.

He had a clean pocket though. I'm referring to Dan Orlovsky's breakdown of the situation. And others seem to say that yeah one guy was getting there but that shouldn't have wrecked the play. Most guys don't have perfect protection on every single play.