Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Tua is in a make or break 3rd year of a rookie deal he has the opposite of anything guaranteed.

He’s making 30 million dollars on that rookie deal without even considering a fifth year option. He’s not playing through a concussion because of a rational concern about financial insecurity. Presumably he spent his entire life working to be an NFL player for reasons beyond “make money,” and those reasons are a large part of why he wants to make sure he gets a second contract.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

What does he think the Union could've done in a 4 day span with an uncooperative QB?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Woozie66 posted:

What does he think the Union could've done in a 4 day span with an uncooperative QB?
I think people mostly wanted them to take a more firey stand after the injury today, but they went the "let the investigation play out" route

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He went to an a trauma center and was seen by non NFL affiliated doctors who I’m assuming actually did their job so presumably he’s actually safe to travel if they’re releasing him and letting him on a plane.

Well, the PA is currently making a bunch of noise about there needing to be an investigation and consequences, so evidently they care about it at this moment. I can believe that players are aware of and concerned about head injuries in the abstract while also thinking that their specific head injury isn’t a big deal and they should be let back into the game.

The problem is always who pays for the “independent” reviewer because as long as it’s someone affiliated with the league their independence is questionable. Under the current system everyone is incentivized to get the player back in the field asap. The players want to beat the test, the doctor and “independent” consultant aren’t paid to look too closely as long as the player passes the test, the coach and staff aren’t doctors and have every incentive to believe the medical professionals when they say the player passed the evaluation, teammates want the guy back on the field or at least don’t want to cause conflict by telling him he needs to sit…

I wouldn't make any assumptions about what kind of care he got at whatever cinati hospital. NFL was almost certainly up in the guts of the admin with pressure, the state of American hospitals right now is atrocious because of staffing, and a concussion? Oh dang that sucks well nothing to for that in an acute care hospital just follow up with neurology as an outpatient and oh even better you already have your own neurologist so it's even easier for us to just hand you off to them.

Only thing you should assume is that he probably didn't have an immediate life threatening condition like brain hemorrhage.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Whoever the fuckers were that got Tua's concussion 5 days ago reclassified as a "back injury" ought to face criminal charges.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

The hit tonight was... Way way worse. Man they make it so hard to actually enjoy football.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Woof. What a hideous look for the league and the Dolphins right now.

Hope Tua is OK. It's probably unavoidable but I think we can all do without seeing that close up shot of him on his back with his hands like that a billion times across TV and social's today.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Nintendo 49ers posted:

Hope Tua is OK. It's probably unavoidable but I think we can all do without seeing that close up shot of him on his back with his hands like that a billion times across TV and social's today.

On a basic human level yeah, it's awful and I would like to never see it again, but also one hopes it's scary and disturbing and heart wrenching enough to get people who normally don't pay attention to pay some attention and put proper pressure on the NFL.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Toaster Beef posted:

On a basic human level yeah, it's awful and I would like to never see it again, but also one hopes it's scary and disturbing and heart wrenching enough to get people who normally don't pay attention to pay some attention and put proper pressure on the NFL.

unfortunately americans are so normalized with hosed up it has 0 chance of making the needle even twitch. I'm sure the majority of nfl watchers at best went oh well that sucks and at worst starting going into faker soft woke nfl caepernick diatribes. american loving suuuucks.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I don't disagree with any of that

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Toaster Beef posted:

I don't disagree with any of that

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I forgot there was a game last night. Real sad to see that about Tua. I hope he can somehow be ok. That's why I hate the way these teams deal with injuries. Look at the Ravens getting mad about Ronnie Stanley not playing and being passive aggressive. Cause they're so dumb they think in the most idiotic terms like "we're paying all this money we want to see results from our asset". But they only think that way and don't think about getting these guys healthy and playing at a top level. And accepting the fact that in a game like football playing a full 17-21 games is probably not realistic. And unless you have a megateam you're not going undefeated so you have to accept you'll have to play backups and lose.

One thing this shows me is that regular thursday night games should go OUT THE DOOR!!!! There's no way guys should be playing that soon after just playing on sunday. And if they do play on thursday have it set up so that game is after a bye week for both teams. And maybe don't have the thurs game every week maybe like once every couple weeks or once a month.

Also add an 8th playoff seed in each conference and have a league-wide bye week at the start of the playoffs.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Woke up with a pit in my stomach. Right now I feel awful for Tua, I’m mad at the NFL and Dolphins.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Asproigerosis posted:

unfortunately americans are so normalized with hosed up it has 0 chance of making the needle even twitch. I'm sure the majority of nfl watchers at best went oh well that sucks and at worst starting going into faker soft woke nfl caepernick diatribes. american loving suuuucks.
Yeah, it’s maybe not a topic for discussion in TFF, but American society and Americans in general are conditioned to accept a level of brutality and cruelty that just wouldn’t fly in many other societies.

But gently caress, this sucks and it’s moments like this which remind us of how profoundly poo poo and evil the NFL really is, and how little they value the health and lives of their product players. I hope Tua will be okay in the medium and long term.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I hope Tua doesn't play next week for the sake of his health.

Unfortunately there's a good chance he will, get blasted again, and a non-zero chance he dies on the field.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Android Apocalypse posted:

Unfortunately there's a good chance he will, get blasted again, and a non-zero chance he dies on the field.

He's actually in the concussion protocol now, so I would imagine he'll be out for a few weeks as no sane independent* doctor is going to let him back in to get a 3rd concussion

*yeah, lol independent :(

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Asproigerosis posted:

it made me feel so gross I had to turn off the game and go to bed. I hope people have some empathy for Tua, that was brutal and I hope hes ok.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Given all the other people the Dolphins owner bribed/tried to bribe I will not be surprised if the IN got a healthy injection of cash into their bank account at some point.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I hate how the cameras kept zooming in on it. That was worse than the Chargers dude last year. Donald Parham?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tim Whatley posted:

I hate how the cameras kept zooming in on it. That was worse than the Chargers dude last year. Donald Parham?
Yup.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Realistically Tua should be out for the rest of the season, but we all know who qb1 is going to be dolphin next week

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Roargrowl posted:

... On plays where Eli Apple was the closest defender Hill had two targets for one reception for 7 yards!

I... I don't think that's how you determine coverage responsibilities.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Asproigerosis posted:

I wouldn't make any assumptions about what kind of care he got at whatever cinati hospital. NFL was almost certainly up in the guts of the admin with pressure, the state of American hospitals right now is atrocious because of staffing, and a concussion? Oh dang that sucks well nothing to for that in an acute care hospital just follow up with neurology as an outpatient and oh even better you already have your own neurologist so it's even easier for us to just hand you off to them.

Only thing you should assume is that he probably didn't have an immediate life threatening condition like brain hemorrhage.

It's the best hospital in the city and one of the better ones in the region. Also if you think some ER trauma doctor is going to get bullied by a lawyer from the NFL showing up then you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

It's the best hospital in the city and one of the better ones in the region. Also if you think some ER trauma doctor is going to get bullied by a lawyer from the NFL showing up then you clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

That's assuming that the NFL doesn't already have friendly doctors in the hospitals most likely to deal with player injuries in each city there is a team in. which TBH would not surprise me at all if they did.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
(Tua wheeled into ER, still wearing his uniform & pads)

ER doctor: What happened?!?

Miami Dolphins trainer that traveled with Tua: … He fell down some stairs.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

sheri posted:

That's assuming that the NFL doesn't already have friendly doctors in the hospitals most likely to deal with player injuries in each city there is a team in. which TBH would not surprise me at all if they did.

Are we just making stuff up or what

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The ambulance didn't actually go to the hospital but to a nearby warehouse to give the NFL cover from prying eyes so that they could conduct the body double swap

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

bows1 posted:

I hope people have some empathy for Tua, that was brutal and I hope hes ok.

They do man.
Even at the stadium the fans were chanting loudly for Tua.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Save big money at Menards

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Android Apocalypse posted:

It's against the Jets so it's unlikely he'll take any hits.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

sheri posted:

This is stupid as poo poo

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The ambulance didn't actually go to the hospital but to a nearby warehouse to give the NFL cover from prying eyes so that they could conduct the body double swap

lol

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

AndrewP posted:

I think this is probably the most disturbing thing I've seen on a football field

Truth be told I missed the play as it happened and I thought he broke his hand when I first saw.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
A Twitter doctor tweeted that he broke his wrist and dislocated some fingers or some poo poo lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheBizzness posted:

A Twitter doctor tweeted that he broke his wrist and dislocated some fingers or some poo poo lol

Yeah, twitter doctors are mostly full of poo poo. If they get it right, it's by pure luck.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

TheBizzness posted:

I'm like 80% sure he was taking the piss after the "back injury" reports from Sunday.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Kalli posted:

I'm like 80% sure he was taking the piss after the "back injury" reports from Sunday.

Ok well that’s actually funny, if true.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Would anyone be interested in a write up of concussions, post concussive syndrome, decorticate v decerebrate posturing, etc?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

FizFashizzle posted:

Would anyone be interested in a write up of concussions, post concussive syndrome, decorticate v decerebrate posturing, etc?

Yes :jpmf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah