Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Kawalimus posted:

One thing this shows me is that regular thursday night games should go OUT THE DOOR!!!! There's no way guys should be playing that soon after just playing on sunday. And if they do play on thursday have it set up so that game is after a bye week for both teams. And maybe don't have the thurs game every week maybe like once every couple weeks or once a month.

Also add an 8th playoff seed in each conference and have a league-wide bye week at the start of the playoffs.

This doesn't get talked about nearly enough. Thursday Night Football games are almost always loving awful and they absolutely produce way higher injury rates because of the accelerated return poo poo. Getting rid of them would be a big benefit for the entire product -- not only are you going to improve the safety of the players, but you're going to get better games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean just extend the season a week, give every team a 2nd bye and put TNF games in there so you get 10 days in both directions. Boom, TNF is actually good now.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Redeye Flight posted:

This doesn't get talked about nearly enough. Thursday Night Football games are almost always loving awful and they absolutely produce way higher injury rates because of the accelerated return poo poo. Getting rid of them would be a big benefit for the entire product -- not only are you going to improve the safety of the players, but you're going to get better games.

How would getting rid of TNF help the league make more money

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

Would anyone be interested in a write up of concussions, post concussive syndrome, decorticate v decerebrate posturing, etc?

That would be really cool if somebody qualified posted it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Kalli posted:

I mean just extend the season a week, give every team a 2nd bye and put TNF games in there so you get 10 days in both directions. Boom, TNF is actually good now.

Yeah that’s funny, what they’re actually gonna do is extend the season to 18 games as soon as legally permissible.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's never going to not be mind-boggling to me that the NFL doesn't want more bye weeks. Football fans watch football. If the Bengals are on a bye and they're not like two and eight or something I watch just as many football games on a bye week as I do on a week where my team is playing.

More rest = more opportunity to get healthy = better spectacle

In a lot of ways they've been getting better. The new IR and practice squad rules in particular are so much better than they were 5 years ago. I just do not get the insistence on one bye.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Eifert Posting posted:

It's never going to not be mind-boggling to me that the NFL doesn't want more bye weeks. Football fans watch football. If the Bengals are on a bye and they're not like two and eight or something I watch just as many football games on a bye week as I do on a week where my team is playing.

In a lot of ways they've been getting better. The new IR and practice squad rules in particular are so much better than they were 5 years ago. I just do not get the insistence on one bye.

I would bet its because the NFL has to have the superbowl on the 1st weekend of February do to tradition or something equally dumb.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The real reason is ticket sales but that just seems so inconsequential considering the vast majority of income is from broadcast and that pot is split.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

foomtball

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Eifert Posting posted:

They probably want another bye just not as much as the union does and know they can get something from players for it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Eifert Posting posted:

The real reason is ticket sales but that just seems so inconsequential considering the vast majority of income is from broadcast and that pot is split.
Yeah but if they extend the season a week to add another bye thats another week of television ad revenue pouring in, another week of primetime games, ect

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah but if they extend the season a week to add another bye thats another week of television ad revenue pouring in, another week of primetime games, ect

THIS is the reason I don't understand why they don't want byes. It legit is extra cash for less work.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

Do teams basically keep what they sell in their stadium? Owners being weird about that seems possible.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Woozie66 posted:

THIS is the reason I don't understand why they don't want byes. It legit is extra cash for less work.

Yeah, some kind of schedule where teams get lots of byes, even if you played fewer overall games, might make more money. Like if my team was only playing every other week I'd still watch football every Sunday most likely. So if the season was 20 weeks long with 14 games, I'd watch 60 games instead of 51. I'm not sure how true that is for the average fan, but lots of people I know, even more casual fans, tend to watch more than just their team's games.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 30, 2022

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

They probably want another bye just not as much as the union does and know they can get something from players for it.

That's a good point. Why willingly do something for free when they can extort something from the PA for it?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It is kind of encouraging that the top 14 and all but 1 thread on the front page of the NFL subreddit are about Tua's injury.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Paint Crop Pro posted:

I would bet its because the NFL has to have the superbowl on the 1st weekend of February do to tradition or something equally dumb.

They’ve already moved the Super Bowl back to the second weekend in February with the 17-game season. God help everyone in the future if the Super Bowl landed on Valentines Day…

It’s an interesting subject because the NFL seems set on starting the week after Labor Day, a week after college football starts, so that means they’d have to extend further into February. If they add an 18th game, which will inevitably happen at some point, they’d be pushing out further. An extra bye for a then 20 week regular season might push the Super Bowl to the last weekend of February.

As an aside, the NFL did experiment one year with a second bye week, in 1993. Teams viewed it as “too disruptive” and didn’t like it, so the second bye was dropped. Maybe views have changed now, I know fans have talked about it a lot, but even during previous discussion of expanding the season to 17 or potentially 18 games over the last decade+, I don’t recall much talk from the players, coaches, or the league about a second bye.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

FizFashizzle posted:

Would anyone be interested in a write up of concussions, post concussive syndrome, decorticate v decerebrate posturing, etc?

Here I got it since I had to take concussionwise protocols in order to coach and I have a masters in it.

Concussions occur most often through a wrenching method. Post concussion syndrome happens in the onset of that event. It can range anywhere from two weeks to a few months depending on the person. There's not really a ton of evidence to say that some people are better at coming back from it or not.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK559135/

Here's a pubmed on the difference between posturing. Again both affected by the same stimulus but probably not fully understood by doctors yet.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

He totally cleared protocols everyday we promise guys!

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1575896647254609921

edit: it's particularly annoying that the league itself is going to take up the "back injury" lie. Nope no symptoms sunday until thursday night when he went full posturing. drat the publics lying eyes.

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 30, 2022

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Ches Neckbeard posted:

He totally cleared protocols everyday we promise guys!

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1575896647254609921
Textbook defensing response

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Looks like decorticate posturing to me, fingers curling inward near the face

Can we see whether his legs are twisted inward on the replay?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

and Tretter (NFLPA President) has finally spoken up

https://twitter.com/JCTretter/status/1575907529200402432

edit: embed cropping out a couple paragraphs

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
He really just used the Notes app?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s an early sign of CTE :(

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

fartknocker posted:

As an aside, the NFL did experiment one year with a second bye week, in 1993. Teams viewed it as “too disruptive” and didn’t like it, so the second bye was dropped. Maybe views have changed now, I know fans have talked about it a lot, but even during previous discussion of expanding the season to 17 or potentially 18 games over the last decade+, I don’t recall much talk from the players, coaches, or the league about a second bye.

I know that the perspective from other sports (specifically baseball) is that players dislike down time because athletic skills rust up alarmingly fast. Not in terms of forgetting how to throw a baseball, but when you're at the high performance levels that modern sports hit, you can lose a shocking amount of edge from any amount of down time.

That said, as this poo poo shows, it can be much worse to lose the recovery period. But a lot of players aren't thinking about that, because the environment they're in seriously discourages doing so. If their future livelihood didn't depend so much on performing outrageously within such an extremely tight time window, that might not be as widespread. Shocking news: Capitalism Causes Problem, eh.

And having said that, those viewpoints may be changing in modern times -- we've been getting a lot more aggressive coverage of gruesome injuries like this and our understanding and awareness of how much damage these injuries can do is getting better and more widespread. If the season DOES go to 18 games I think there'd HAVE to be a second bye week. Otherwise, by the current design you could get a team with an early bye that has to play fuckin' 16 or 17 weeks straight, if they go to the postseason as a wildcard.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lots of people do this when they want to send a tweet that’s longer than the character limit and don’t want to do a long thread

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

tarbrush posted:

He's actually in the concussion protocol now, so I would imagine he'll be out for a few weeks as no sane independent* doctor is going to let him back in to get a 3rd concussion

*yeah, lol independent :(

They were saying on all the morning talk shows, and in this article...yes, i'm the guy who watches Get Up!...that the person with the final say in the concussion protocol is the team doctor. So, that's great.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/30/sports/tua-tagavailoa-nfl-concussion-protocol.html

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
It's amazing how the Dolphins game has taken such a big poo poo on the week already.

The worst lead in to Sunday of all time!
Thanks you stupid loving fish.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Lots of people do this when they want to send a tweet that’s longer than the character limit and don’t want to do a long thread

lots of people aren't the president of the NFLPA

just put together a dang release

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

here's something else nauseating about the national football league

da bears

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Incompetent or unethical doctors Killed my sweet Hawaiian roll 😞
Cleveland browns and a selective few gross rear end fans that cheer it are still allowed to have a literal rapist on their team 😞
Detroits medical team is apparently ultra cheap
Patriots celebrate hiring a rapist and helping him earn extra money in the process

Ugh this leagues really going in the toilet. It’s tough to compartmentalize it all… But i just can’t imagine the nfl going away anytime soon.

Womblemania
Sep 4, 2022

by Hand Knit

Amy Pole Her posted:

Cleveland browns and a selective few gross rear end fans that cheer it are still allowed to have a literal rapist on their team 😞
Patriots celebrate hiring a rapist and helping him earn extra money in the process

Ugh this leagues really going in the toilet. It’s tough to compartmentalize it all… But i just can’t imagine the nfl going away anytime soon.

what did you except when they are sponsored by little caesers, the pizza I am led to believe is what American companies serve employees as the minimal amount of effort for a "pizza party". Little Caeser indeed, the real Caeser would let you just friggin plunder a city state for reaching a record setting Nielsen rating!

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
How can we hold up NFL players as national heros when none of them, not a one, have earned a mural crown

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Amy Pole Her posted:

i'm gonna be honest, this cover of we didn't start the fire absolutely sucks

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Amy Pole Her posted:

Don't forget multiple owners being criminals and sex pests. Or a vile WR getting rewarded by being the highest paid at his position with no one talking about his past anymore. We also spent last year being force fed a farewell tour for another rapist.

That all being said, I don't really think the league is "worse" than it ever was. I think we're all just paying more attention.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Woozie66 posted:

Don't forget multiple owners being criminals and sex pests. Or a vile WR getting rewarded by being the highest paid at his position with no one talking about his past anymore. We also spent last year being force fed a farewell tour for another rapist.

That all being said, I don't really think the league is "worse" than it ever was. I think we're all just paying more attention.

Kobe Bryant raped a woman and people on this forum were writing hagiographies of him when he died. It’s not sport-specific, we’re just tuned as a nation to forgive powerful people their trespasses. Trying to Parm Basil our way to which league is more morally correct than others will only lead us to madness.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

Oh absolutely. But this scrutiny, this icky feeling we all have, IS progress as hosed up as that sounds. All this poo poo has been happening for decades, but no one cares before.

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

even the people who care don't actually care

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I mean, here we are serious posting on a forum dedicated to the sport...so yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Freaquency posted:

Parm Basil

Is this a goon or something? Google is only giving me parmesan and basil recipes