Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

It was a bad idea to read Stephen King's "The Shining" at nine years old, even though the main character is a child.

Had a real problem with shower curtains for a good long while, me.

hey kid, is someone forcing you to swallow that giant book shaped pill or...? I SAID are you like a weirdo or something kid. That isn't even a part of the Scholastic book fair you're gonna have to talk to the librarian I don't work at the school.... do you wanna buy a Shivers book or something

anyway I saw child's play too young and had essentially the chucky doll. it was like, my height, red curly hair, denim overalls, striped shirt

my sister called me into my parents room, so at my usual speed at the time (full tilt) I bolt into the room. When I cross the threshold she spins out from behind the door back out from where I just came, and holds the door shut. When I turn around I see the only exit blocked by my personal chucky that my sister had put a knife next to. I remember it holding the knife but I don't know if that's my brain trying to kill me or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Darby O’gill and the little people. That loving banshee traumatised me as a 3 year old and somehow my parents couldn’t understand I hated it despite me crying and begging. Or maybe they thought it was funny 🥲.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

the possessed doll that attacks Karen Black in Trilogy of Terror

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

CHiPs

Terrifying

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Day time: head to the library. Cheerfully devour everything about ufos and aliens. If none available, find any book with that picture of the leftover foot from that lady who spontaneously combusted.
Night time: hours of utter, petrified terror
I wonder if that is a universal proto-goon experience.

Oh, also my older brother (accidentally?) showed me a Metallica video clip featuring shots from a movie about a dude who gets his everything exploded off. Messed me up for years.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Tree Bucket posted:

Day time: head to the library. Cheerfully devour everything about ufos and aliens. If none available, find any book with that picture of the leftover foot from that lady who spontaneously combusted.
Night time: hours of utter, petrified terror
I wonder if that is a universal proto-goon experience.

Oh, also my older brother (accidentally?) showed me a Metallica video clip featuring shots from a movie about a dude who gets his everything exploded off. Messed me up for years.

Johnny Got His Gun.

biglads posted:

CHiPs

Terrifying

The CHiPs movie they made (in 20fucking17 no less) was just 101 minutes of gay panic.
Incredible a major studio would actually release that trash.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 1, 2022

Blinks
May 9, 2004
Just cos a rape kit came up positive, that doesn't mean she was raped!
Gremlins and Labrynth.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Blinks posted:

Gremlins and Labrynth.

Gremlins was actually why the PG-13 rating was created lol

haljordan fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 1, 2022

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Gmork in The Neverending Story. That vicious and frightening string sting, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOPAW7Em8mE

The Blob 1988. Saw it in theaters when it was new and should have noped out when the dude gets sucked down the drain. But I didn’t. I saw a lot of horror movies in theaters as a kid and they didn’t phase me, but the 1988 Blob did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR9PWLPaG1c

Superman III when the woman gets turned into a robot. What the gently caress were they thinking???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuSsSwg9MXs

Short Circuit 2 when Johnny 5 gets beaten. It’s frightening, heartbreaking, and sobering from a kid’s POV to show that the world is a hosed up place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6cDbMLcxQI

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

You Are A Elf posted:

Gmork in The Neverending Story. That vicious and frightening string sting, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOPAW7Em8mE

I remember crying pretty hard when Artax drowned in the swamp, that was some messed up poo poo for a supposed "kids" movie

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

You Are A Elf posted:

Superman III when the woman gets turned into a robot. What the gently caress were they thinking???

That's the most awesome part of the film though?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Documentaries about Nostradamus really freaked me out as a kid for some reason.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Rock Paper Tongue posted:

When I was 9 I saw that bit from Hannibal where he cuts that dude's head open and cooks his brain, and that hosed with me for a few weeks.

The worst was the movie The Vanishing, specifically when the lead guy wakes up in the coffin and realizes what happened to him. The thought of slowly suffocating in a small box underground with absolutely no way to help yourself and nothing to do but just wait to die was horrifying in a way that I hadn't really experienced before, and it stayed with me for years

HBO made an original movie about the hostages during the Iranian embassy siege (not the ones who escaped) and whenever they were moved around, they were completely covered in head to toe in duct tape except for a tiny slit for breathing. Definitely scary poo poo to young me.

edit: Now that I think about it, HBO is responsible for a lot of traumatic moments in my life.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 1, 2022

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

You Are A Elf posted:

Holy poo poo I had blocked outforgotten about this. Scarred me for months.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Face melting scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark disturbed the gently caress out of me and caused me anxiety about going to the movies in general for a lot of my childhood. I didn’t watch Raiders again until I was an adult and it surprised me to realize that the actual face melting is all of three seconds of screen time. It’s still an impressively gruesome effect.

Also I saw an extra weird trailer for Videodrome while watching TV past my bedtime and I couldn’t sleep that night wondering wtf I had seen.

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011

Genesplicer posted:

"Darby O'Gill and the Little People" scared me as a kid. The Banshee terrified me for some reason. I think it was the weird special effects processing and the sort of jump scare of it being right outside the door when Darby opened it. Or maybe it was the fact that Sean Connery was in it.

Lol I came here to post exactly this. I had recurring nightmares about the Banshee for a long time as a kid.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I remember being loving terrified of Jurassic Park the first time I saw it. I was maybe 6 or 7, full on hiding behind the sofa crying. I'm not even sure why I was in the room, maybe my brother had it on or something.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gSsrwZDA3Q

I saw this once on TV and ran out of the room crying with my mom chasing after me saying "No no no he's the good guy he's the GOOD GUY!!!" God, when his eyes change...

A ton of 80s-90s kids movies/tv shows are super loving dark.

Secret of Nimh
The Last Unicorn ( I think? I can't remember)
Legend
Pee Wee's Big Adventure (it looked like.... this!)
So many others. Absolutely none of that would be allowed today or it would be entirely made for adults and they'd make that clear.

I watched the X-Men cartoon every Saturday and man, that touched on some heavy topics. The first episode someone dies right away. Then they have to fight racism and other heavy topics.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

What about the series finale for "Dinosaurs" (Not the mama!)?

https://www.vulture.com/2018/08/dinosaurs-tvs-saddest-sitcom-finale.html

LLeGGo
Nov 6, 2005

No relation. Your mouth foams. We dance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnpAfBKUXGw&t=136s

This part in Ninja Gaiden 2, at 2:18 in the video, always scared me as a 6/7 year old and I would have to leave the room when it came on and my brother recorded it on a cassette once and woke me up with the music loud as gently caress and I cried and am still a scarred man because of it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

watched event horizon at some trashy cinema that mistakenly advertised it as PG-13 (it's a hard R i would say). I was twelve. went home and decided a corner of the bedroom was possessed by ultimate evil and had to be avoided

Same film, same age I believe. I remember after watching it at my friend's house we went to bed and I just kept waking up with nightmares. His older brother was in the room on his computer and goes, "Can't sleep? Did you guys watch Event Horizon?"

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Night of the living dummy

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

DangerDummy! posted:

The Blob. The original black and white one with Steve McQueen.
The original Blob is in color.

Anyway, "The Doomsday Machine" episode of Star Trek. "The Zanti Misfits" episode of The Outer Limits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J6MRDBifII

The chauffeur in Burnt Offerings (1976)

"The Drop of Water" Segment of Black Sabbath (1963)

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Secret of Nimh
The Last Unicorn ( I think? I can't remember)

Watching these movies as a kid and enjoying them for what they were at the time was one thing. Then you read the books they were based on as an older kid or a teenager and open up to the movies being something more than just an animated movie. There are some deep and dark philosophical themes and messages in the books, and watching the movies as an adult you realize they were always there; they just flew right over your kid mind. It makes the movies that much more artistic and relatable.

See also: Watership Down.

LLeGGo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnpAfBKUXGw&t=136s

This part in Ninja Gaiden 2, at 2:18 in the video, always scared me as a 6/7 year old and I would have to leave the room when it came on and my brother recorded it on a cassette once and woke me up with the music loud as gently caress and I cried and am still a scarred man because of it.

Mine was the game over screen in Zelda II:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKBAIYzf3tg

Goddamn, I hated that cackling Ganon gently caress.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9pWC-4dx3Q0

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Yes! My dad had this big book of weird stuff from Life or Reader Digest that had stuff about future tech (this was from the 70s so it was talking about stuff that is either commonplace, supplanted, or dead end), historical oddities and the last section was about paranormal stuff, and the section on Nostradamus freaked me out, especially his last one with the line "in the year 99 of 1900 from the sky will come the great king of terror" or something like that, and that terrified me because it suggested to me that in 1999 there would be either a nuclear war or a comet will hit the earth and I'd be dead in about a decade.

Also the first few minutes of ET where they're running through the woods, that poo poo scared me so much i was hiding under the seat in the theater.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

twistedmentat posted:

Yes! My dad had this big book of weird stuff from Life or Reader Digest that had stuff about future tech (this was from the 70s so it was talking about stuff that is either commonplace, supplanted, or dead end), historical oddities and the last section was about paranormal stuff, and the section on Nostradamus freaked me out, especially his last one with the line "in the year 99 of 1900 from the sky will come the great king of terror" or something like that, and that terrified me because it suggested to me that in 1999 there would be either a nuclear war or a comet will hit the earth and I'd be dead in about a decade.

Also the first few minutes of ET where they're running through the woods, that poo poo scared me so much i was hiding under the seat in the theater.

lmao, my mom had this weird period where she went vegan, panicked over nuclear war, went hyper Catholic, and became obsessed with this poo poo for a few years. Like straight up sitting alone in the dining room pouring over the quatrains trying to work out who the third antichrist was, who the great lord of terror from would be, etc. For a while she reckoned it was Colonel Gadaffi, hah but once 1986 came and went without the nukes launching, she thankfully dropped it all bar the veganism like a bad habit.

It was a strange time.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
When I was 5 a vhs had something so terrifying on it that I just remember crying in full terror. It's honesty scared the poo poo out of me. And the vhs was

And the villian broke my tiny little stupid brain.

Not even larryboy could keep that rumor weed from entering my nightmares.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

One idle afternoon when mom wasn't home I popped The Thing into the ol' VHS deck because the cover looked so cool.

I only got through the first transformation scene. I was terrified of our cat for weeks after.

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
I was about 5 when my neighbor loaned my parents a copy of E.T. on VHS. I made it about 30 seconds into the intro before I ran up to the VCR, ejected the tape and told my mom I couldn’t watch it because “the music is too scary.” I don’t even think E.T. makes a screen appearance in that part.

E: just watched the intro on YouTube. The music is surprisingly haunting for the first minute or two, then gets less horror-like as the aliens explore a bit. Wonder how many other kids got scared off by the first minute of music.

MoonshineWilly fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 1, 2022

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Lord Awkward posted:

Librarian decided to read this to the class for Halloween story time in second grade.

It's about an old man that goes hunting and shoots the tail off a weird creature, and having caught nothing else, eats the tail. The creature comes back over several nights crying (in English) for its tail, and every time the man's dogs run it off, one less dog returns to the cabin. Eventually he's out of dogs and it gets into the cabin and takes its tail back, in an implicitly bloody way.

So that was great and definitely not a source of nightmares for young Awkward.

:same: i was already afraid of the dark, and it just feedback looped itself into my brain lol

in my early teens, a friend made me go with her to see the ring, and i pretty much didn't sleep for a couple weeks after. the same friend made me go with her to see the grudge a couple years later, and i stayed the night with her after. she fell asleep in about 10 mins, and i spent the night staring at the ceiling.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Blinks posted:

Gremlins

Gremlins scared the crap out of me - I had nightmares for years

I had to switch beds with my older sister so I could be away from the window because I kept having night terrors about the flying ones clawing at it in the night

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I haven't seen ET since I was a kid. I remember being afraid of the FBI or whoever and clean room stuff.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

I started watching regular-rear end horror movies with my mom from before I can remember. I loved being scared. Tar Man scared the poo poo out of me so of course, this was a movie I demanded my mom watch over and over with me.

And IT, because clowns scared the poo poo out of me by the time I was 4. It also got replayed until the VHS wore out.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

You Are A Elf posted:

Watching these movies as a kid and enjoying them for what they were at the time was one thing. Then you read the books they were based on as an older kid or a teenager and open up to the movies being something more than just an animated movie. There are some deep and dark philosophical themes and messages in the books, and watching the movies as an adult you realize they were always there; they just flew right over your kid mind. It makes the movies that much more artistic and relatable.

See also: Watership Down.

Mine was the game over screen in Zelda II:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKBAIYzf3tg

Goddamn, I hated that cackling Ganon gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdpmDqR4ZDc&t=1257s

These rooms in the Goonies game scared me so much that my chest would hurt. Something about the music and being completely clueless about what to do just freaked me out

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Well if you're going to post old video games...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1_fDwX1VVY

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Blinks posted:

Gremlins and Labrynth.

I watched Labyrinth at some point as a little kid, and got so terrified that I managed to mentally erase all memory of it except for the Fire Gang (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiUt5HuW3xc), who in turn became the monsters in my closet. Eventually I became convinced that they were just result of a vivid nightmare I had. Cut to my sophomore year in college watching the movie for what I think is the first time, and I loving freaked when what I thought were jsut figments of my imagination started bouncing around the screen dismembering themselves.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022

Nigmaetcetera posted:

My mom was really into Nostradamus and Christian rapture and end times stuff. Very wholesome for kids! The only thing I remember is that the antichrist is supposed to be named MABUS.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Return to Oz yet. I still think it's one of the scariest movies ever made.

We got:
-spooky child Fairuza Balk undergoing electric shock therapy against her will
-a desert that turns you to sand if you touch it
-hyena-like men with wheels for hands and feet
-an evil witch princess with hundreds of living severed heads tortured in display cases which she can wear as her own head
-people trapped in mirrors
-an evil rock king that can turn anyone into stone or a decorative ornament and likes to play games with his victims

And the entire aesthetic of the movie is such that even the good characters are really creepy.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Steven King's IT. The Tim Curry one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

run on sentience posted:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Return to Oz yet. I still think it's one of the scariest movies ever made.

We got:
-spooky child Fairuza Balk undergoing electric shock therapy against her will
-a desert that turns you to sand if you touch it
-hyena-like men with wheels for hands and feet
-an evil witch princess with hundreds of living severed heads tortured in display cases which she can wear as her own head
-people trapped in mirrors
-an evil rock king that can turn anyone into stone or a decorative ornament and likes to play games with his victims

And the entire aesthetic of the movie is such that even the good characters are really creepy.

Yeah I saw it once and it was horrifying. Super "trippy." I can't think of a good word right now. I should probably watch that again.

edit: