Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Looper posted:

also time to play this eerie sm64 rom hack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjjmRH_yPyg

haunted SM64 romhacks are in the same category as analog horror for me, in that i know that they're mostly all deep imitative of eachother and largely predictable in format but i'll watch 'em all nonetheless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

If you don't find it funny that the game that criticizes capitals ability to subsume criticism of it into itself and sell it back to you, having its own criticism subsumed and sold back in the form of an Amazon TV show while gutting the heart of the company, you should probably clean out your humor glands

it's genuinely funny and also, sadly, a practical inevitability after how popular it got, unless the entire IP was owned solely by the greatest saints of the 21st century

it's another great irony of art under capitalism that the only people who can afford to keep their morals steadfast in the face of commercial pressures are the already wealthy

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

It's one of those sad lols, like when a Dark Souls NPC laughs at the end of their dialogue

we in the biz refer to these as "grim lols"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

saw this on aliexpress for 40-70bux, lmao

it comes with a 256gb sd card filled to the top with 117,000 roms. that's enough downloaded cars to collapse a small country

e:

i dunno why but there's something very charming about this

like, there's probably only a 60% chance it doesn't immediately explode as soon as you plug it in, but what amounts to a bunch of emulators in a box isn't the worst idea in the world

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yeah New World had some hideously negative press when it launched but hasn't it been doing alright since then

it's been aggressively treading water with no real indication that AGS is going to invest more than the minimum needed to keep it afloat

it's certainly not a catastrophic disaster like, say, warhammer online or tabula rasa, but it's very much just There at this point

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Remakes of forgotten jewels of the SNES to PS2 era are fine.

Literally making remasters of last gen games is like, no loving wonder the PS5 has 5 exclusives lol.

"remake" to me implies reviving something old and haggard and giving it a fresh coat of paint, this is literally just porting HZD to the updated HFW engine with some upscaled textures and is absolutely not worth the title nor money for anyone who already bought the thing

i'm not a "graphics don't matter" guy but, at the same time, this poo poo is basically a placebo upgrade, and i could practically guarantee that people wouldn't be able to guess a blind HZD vs. "remastered" version test at anything better than chance

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Idk if looking at Sony floundering atm is enough proof that multi platform inherently loses money, regardless of which I will admit I do not and cannot care about the economics, all I see is more games being made available to me and other “gamers”, and this is good, because video games are art.

the relevant point is that the economics of having to appeal to a broader cross-section of consumers to justify the multi-platform model means that there's a higher potential for said art to get diluted or shorn of risk, since you have to make the game hit big on each individual platform for the economics of multi-platform development and marketing to make sense

there's obviously a good amount of overlap in preferences amongst platforms, but you still have to reckon with the fact that the kind of games a switch owner favors are likely going to be different than an xbox or PS5 owner, and the constraints of each platform (in terms of available horsepower, what kind of input methods you have available, etc.) will necessarily limit your overall design

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Stux posted:

how many are not on pc already or going to be on pc soon, and worth playing. the answer is bloodborne and nothing else.

and hell, like i mentioned before, if you're at least reasonably close to a data center you can just get PS now and play bloodborne on PC for effectively the same experience

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kerrzhe posted:

another day, another dan

i had to lose 6 times in a row first and get demoted all the way to the bottom BUT i won like 5 or 6 in a row after that and got higher than i was previously :toot:

it seems like just playing around in training mode during the weekdays and then doing ranked for a bit on the weekends is paying off. i'm certainly enjoying myself!

gamer hell yeah

competitive multiplayer becomes a lot of fun when you come to internalize that it's not testing your skill but your resolve, and that finding the courage to keep queuing up, admitting your mistakes, and trying your hardest will eventually get you gains no matter what

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/StardustUltima/status/1576517533712019458?t=aCosHVg_aQ2kmE5ygk4zEw&s=19

Almost literally curled up in a ball when I remembered that OW has an autistic character.

the video game equivalent of someone writing about how zatoichi's blindness is portrayed in battle as if it's a big diversity win

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

haha what posted:

im not outraged, i find it very funny

yeah it's hilarious, like they couldn't be worse at this if they made her get stunned for 5s whenever she sees a train

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

in canada, at least, dairy is highly regulated by the canadian dairy commission (a crown corporation), which includes a marketing arm, although i believe the dairy farmers of canada do a lot of the heavy lifting marketing-wise

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

External Organs posted:

I'm sorry, did you just say that King Charles is your ultimate authority on milk?

"crown corporation" is the funny canadian way of saying "government owned," although they're generally fairly arms-length and only responsible to a specific minister in parliament

technically speaking, the british monarch is still the head of canada's government and has the ability to nix any legislation parliament puts through, but they've never done this for obvious reasons

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Walla posted:

Milk in America should be nearly free considering it's a by-product of the bloated beef industry. Also it's disgusting plain, but I occasionally like ice cream and chocolate milk.

actually a tall, cold glass of milk is ftw

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Walla posted:

Apparently acetaminophen (Tylenol) can make you autistic now? That's what the shady lawyer on the radio told me.

there's was a big to-do last year after a review of research studies came out that supposedly linked acetaminophen intake during pregnancy to alterations in fetal development, although, as is usually the case, questions were raised as to how the review was conducted and how many actual big conclusions can be scientifically drawn from it

even if it were the case i doubt it would change recommendations much, because it's not like any other pain drug on the market has a better safety profile than acetaminophen, and telling pregnant mothers "just grin and bear it" isn't really a sustainable healthcare strategy

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Walla posted:

Sometimes I think my son and I may be, there's too many similar indicators between autism and adhd to be completely sure.

so much so that the entire reason i got my autism diagnosis was because the ADHD clinic i got sent to had a perceptive inpatient psych who wrote up a referral

i think the more common differentiation comes from social dimensions - ADHD kids tend to be excessively social to a point other kids find overwhelming, whereas autistic kids are withdrawn and aloof - and that ADHD usually hews more to externalizing rather than internalizing (re: anxiety/depression), but it's a muddy field to wade through and is rarely so cut and dry

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

why are the differences so minor

it's seriously funny how much worse the redesigns are, like you can tell the original art team either left or got rotated out

OW1 pharah was a simple, clean design that showed a clear understanding of how to manage a limited color palette for readability. OW2 pharah has nearly identical amounts of two main colors layered on in a way that makes your eyes cross, which helps neither read hierarchy nor visual appeal

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

And the big PvE mode that the sequel exists entirely to add isn't coming until like next summer at the least.

"overwatch 2" as a weirdly out-of-place title makes far more sense when it becomes clear that the PVE mode was intended to be the main hook for the whole thing, and it's just... not there

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

you don't have to give movie mario an accent thicker than bolognese but just having christ pratt doing a normal rear end chris pratt voice is the laziest and safest route they could've gone

the fact that it seems like every dub on the planet told their VAs to squeeze in some of martinet's signature rhythms and tones makes me think it's just some uniquely americabrained pathology, like no one will see an animated film in the states if the main character isn't being voiced by someone who's recognizably making $50m+ a year

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kids these days only care about their tiktoks, saul goodman, and the one piece

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

how the hell do you even program this in lmao

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i guess it's not that out there to not have a fully unified input manager, but i would've thought they'd have solved that within the six years the game's been out

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Stux posted:

i dont think its intentional

yeah it's 100% unintentional, it's just that they have two different input components that shouldn't be accepting inputs simultaneously but are

you normally try and have a manager that coordinates each input instance to avoid overlaps like that, but if that's not the way they did it then it's not incomprehensible that someone missed an event subscription somewhere when they were redoing stuff for F2P

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'd rather dig my arm into the saw needle pit than put even a foot in the twitchcon foam pit

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hatty posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever had a full cup of coffee, just a sip or two usually

i can drink 200mg cups on the reg with no real issue

the secret with coffee is mostly consistency: the anxiogenic effects are one of the first things your body develops tolerance to, and it's a nearly complete tolerance, too, so once you push past that and start having it regularly it just becomes a drink that makes you feel pretty good

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SeXReX posted:

Heat Dr pepper in a saucepan until it steams and then pour over a thin slice of lemon

i'd call this psychotic but i drink unalkalized cocoa in water on the reg which probably tastes like ten times worse

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

carbonated drinks are designed to be drunk cold.... this is the truth of the world

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dehry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWmcF5--7DA

Cryamore Kickstarter guy explains himself over a year after the "last update"

E: Crowdfunding refunds

https://twitter.com/Robaato_Art/status/1579542416612548608

"please give me more money for free to pay off my investors" is one of the most looney toons propositions i think i've ever seen

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

There was a self help app I downloaded once which said the first step to changing your life is to drink a glass of water as soon as you wake up every morning but you have to pay like $100 to find out the rest of the steps

i love poo poo like that because it's nothing but compiled lists of hydrohomie pseudoscience, brainlessly generic Life Advice like "drink less alcohol" and "go to bed before 3 AM", and decontextualized cognitive behavioural therapy nuggets from books you could probably get from a goodwill for $10

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

water is delicious but there's absolutely some disgusting-rear end tap water out there, the taps in my house taste horribly of chlorine

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

funnily enough the best tap water i've ever had was at my old job from the sink of a public bathroom. it was crystal clear, consistently crisp, and incredibly delicious, like the kind of thing you'd bottle and sell for $4.99 per 500ml

it was an old tap so there's a high probability it was due to lead leeching but hell, who's counting

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

this has incredible backrooms energy

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Today I drank a whole litre of water…

was your brain operating at 300% efficiency

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

"the metaverse" was an existing meaningless buzzword before facebook renamed itself to capitalize on the hype. lots of unrelated poo poo uses that word.
that's what "horizon worlds" (fbmeta's vrchat+secondlife clone) looks like.

yeah, there's a ton of these vrchat knockoffs floating around that are predominantly differentiated only by how much NFTs and crypto are integrated into their framework. it's another classic example of "entrepreneurs" reinventing the wheel and then selling it to clueless VCs who don't already realize that you can do exactly what meta is promising in vrchat or second life right now, aside from whatever hogwash future tech they're promising will exist

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Arzaac posted:

Actually while we're at it how does everyone feel about pineapple on pizza

I like it, I feel like the acid really cuts through the grease

it's good but i think it requires special consideration with regards to temperature/cooking time compared to other toppings

if it's in too long it'll get dry and taste gummy, but if it's in too short it's disgustingly soggy to bite into. you need it to hit that texture where it's firm but still juicy so that it melds well with the other textures and flavors of a typical pizza

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i'll probably do a spooky runthrough of no one lives under the lighthouse, scorn, and maybe dead space 1 and 2

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kerrzhe posted:

:toot:

my hands are always too shaky to keep playing after a promotion lol :dogcited:

hell yeah, keep it up

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

initial scorn impression: it's very solid for what it is, which is a walking sim with occasional puzzles and some light gunplay. the real star of the show is, of course, the environment, which is an incredible fusion of geiger's biomechanical style and beksinski's monolithic nightmare landscapes, and this is all heightened by them relying entirely on environmental storytelling without a single bit of dialogue or text logs to guide you along. this does occasionally lead to some "what the gently caress am i supposed to do" moments, but it's linear enough of an experience that you're not expected to dramatically backtrack or rely on distant elements to solve the self-contained puzzles

if you want a spooky halloween title, definitely pick this one up

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

It's pretty much the perfect Gamepass game, a ~5 hour 'experience' that I would probably have balked at paying money to own but will happy play for the monthly sub.

yeah, i would definitely recommend it for gamepass - it's solid for what it is, but it's mostly a very pretty romp without a ton of gameplay as-is to speak of. the middle section of the game is the part that i think got the most polish and refinement, since it's what got shown in all the trailers, but it's also the only stretch of real "gameplay" as such aside from a single (frankly kinda bad) boss near the end

it's also a game that feels almost deliberately designed to be so obscuritan that only youtube lore channels will have anything approaching a clear picture of what's going on, possibly to generate more interest in the game in the long term

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Infinitum posted:

That's sorta a bummer in a way cause it looked like it had been presented as H.R. Giger Does Doom

most of the trailers, at least from like 2020 onwards, showcased the gunplay as being very slow compared to an average FPS, and that made its way into the main game. it's mostly more about tactical resource management, although you'll generally have enough ammo to blast through probably 90% of the things in the game without issue

i get the impression that they'd planned to do more with it before they ran out of money and time, as the gunplay feels weirdly vestigial with the overall length of the game. you get your 4th weapon very late in the game and only use it to solve a couple puzzles and on a single enemy

Vermain fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 15, 2022