Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
video games,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Help Im Alive posted:

Does anyone have any strong opinions on the following games I will probably buy at least one of them to play through this weekend:

omori
klonoa collection
touhou luna nights
the sekimeiya: spun glass

i like metroidvanias but kinda bounced off of luna nights, basically cus the combat wasn't really fun to me but at the same time each room has a bunch of pretty tanky enemies so you spend a lot of your gameplay time fighting stuff

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They should be beaten to death with hammers and lead pipes.

all over a few asterisks in dialogue? harsh but fair

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

saw this on aliexpress for 40-70bux, lmao

it comes with a 256gb sd card filled to the top with 117,000 roms. that's enough downloaded cars to collapse a small country

e:

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 2, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

FirstAidKite posted:

That controller is from the timeline where nintendo and sony worked together

theres a variant that comes with snes knockoff controllers instead
idk how you're gonna play tekken on one of those though

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
the worst value for money is league of legends

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

opening the cash shop would reset all your cooldowns and people were abusing that in pvp

was that before or after the bug where if you put the game in windowed mode and dragged the game around on your desktop you'd become invincible until you let go of it
couldn't hit anything but you could stand on a capture point in pvp and be unkillable

Muscle Tracer posted:

page snipe content: SUPERHOT is in the same subgenre as Baba is You, namely, games where things do not happen if you do not move.

Fates of Ort is also in this genre, it is cool

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 3, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
yall all realize that the tiny list of "PS5 exclusives" is 99% not because of the handful of PC ports the hundred-million-dollar-marketing-budget crossplatform GaaS blobs
it's because of PS4/PS5 crossplatform games
which makes perfect sense, since the ps4 is already just a general purpose computer in a box and the ps5 is just a ps4 with higher specs. there is no game on earth that you can make on ps5 that you couldn't also have made on ps4 with a bit lower fidelity graphics (which 99% of gamers are just fine with). that is why there are no ps5 exclusives

the PS5 released on nov 12, 2020
there have been 413 playstation 4 games with release dates on or after nov 12 2020, according to wikipedia's list of ps4 games. that's more than one release every 2 days.

there are plenty of playstation games
there have always been plenty of playstation games

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
it still has bloodborne :negative:

give me a port of that

and can i get a port of MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM EXTREME VS. MAXIBOOST ON while you're at it too, tia

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

haha what posted:

so youre saying that the playstation 4, the console that i already own and can still purchase, has plenty of games on it that i dont need a playstation 5 to play

how does this counter the argument of the playstation 5 having a paltry amount of exclusive games exactly?

ps4 and ps5 are the same thing

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

DemoneeHo posted:

:pressf:

I used to really like OW back in the early years. But blizzard's refusal to balance the game in a timely manner killed off any motivation for me to struggle against OP team comps.

(I was also bad at the game, which is obviously blizzard's fault)

it;s a lot more fun to be bad and flail directionlessly in tf2 than ow
or like a big team fps like battlefield

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Kerrzhe posted:

is... is "milk" a company?

The sponsorship is from MilkPEP which is effectively an advertising collective co-owned by a bunch of different milk-producing agri megacorps from around the USA.

https://milkpep.org/about/ posted:

The Milk Processor Education Program (MilkPEP), Washington, D.C., is funded by the nation’s milk companies, and dedicated to educating consumers and increasing consumption of fluid milk. MilkPEP activities are led by a 20-member board and monitored by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Agricultural Marketing Service.

MilkPEP’s robust campaign efforts aim to increase awareness for milk’s nutritional benefits and safeguard milk’s reputation against competitive claims and anti-milk messages that impact consumers’ purchasing decisions. MilkPEP’s groundbreaking programs include:

got milk?: The iconic ‘got milk?’ campaign is here for a new generation of milk drinkers, a generation that is digitally savvy, social-minded, curious and engaged. Leverage the power of ‘got milk?’ for your brand.

Agricultural collective ad boards are a pretty common thing, for example this british pork advert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0wDjWOnHcY

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Relax Or DIE posted:

i'm going to have loaded baked potatoes for dinner

make sure to put lots of cheese on them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrOl10sj2YE

sour cream too but i cant find a video

Walla posted:

Milk in America should be nearly free considering it's a by-product of the bloated beef industry. Also it's disgusting plain, but I occasionally like ice cream and chocolate milk.

It's not though, different breeds of cows are raised for milk vs beef (the most common breeds are Holstein for milk and Angus for beef).
The beef of an old milk cow is tough and low quality, and the male calves on a dairy farm are slaughtered for veal instead of going to the expense of raising a Holstein cow for beef.
The same thing happens with chickens raised for meat vs eggs except, the egg farms just toss the male chicks directly into a shredder as soon as they separate them from the females.

Mutton is (or was) a by-product of the wool industry though. As synthetic fabrics got more popular over the 20th century and less wool was grown, mutton consumption dropped off a cliff. Nowadays you pretty much never see it in America.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 3, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
when i was a childe my mama took me to an autism doctor and he told me to stop drinking milk because the casein in it would make me more autistic
pretty sure that was pseudoscience but i still never drink milk outside of coffee/tea now, not really in the habit of it.
also i still have autism

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i liked the second post better, clownsona is a high quality neologism

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
puzzle pieces are giga fail tell him to get a rainbow infinity sign for his clownsona instead

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jay Rust posted:

Somehow flamethrowers often suck @$$ in fps games. Maybe that’s realistic though

i haven't played a single fps game with realistic flamethrowers, for example the US's ww2 era M1A1 flamethrower could shoot napalm a distance of 45 meters
meanwhile in most videogames flamethrowers act more like a lighter and a can of hairspray, shooting a cloud of burning gas 2 meters in front of you and then dissipating to nothing

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
obviously the concept of a "principled gamer" is an unrealistic fantasy that cannot possibly exist in reality, but we can still dream

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vermain posted:

i guess it's not that out there to not have a fully unified input manager, but i would've thought they'd have solved that within the six years the game's been out

They did, and then they managed to unsolve it when rewriting poo poo for the sequel f2p patch.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1579223208691400704

sounds like they signed waivers but it should still be lawsuit worthy anyways

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
la croix isnt even good just drink normal non-carbonated water ???
maybe with a filter if you live in a place with awful tapwater

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Jay Rust posted:

I would be interested in some diet water

i like this stuff

just use half the amount listed in the directions on the can and you'll get a nice diet recipe with half the calories!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
if that sanpellegrino lemon soda counts as mineral water can i put my morning coffee in the list?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The only person I know who "doesn't like the taste of water" had both of his legs amputated due to diabetes so I assume this is the fate of all "water taste bad"ers

I visited san diego once and the tap water tasted like it was somehow going to poison me to death. So I could see that issue for someone who grew up in a place with really lovely utilities. (But just get a good water filter.)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
You can also sequence break the hell out of the hub world to get a bunch of parts early and then break earlygame levels by flying when you're not supposed to or whatever. It's pretty fun!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Waffleman_ posted:

Also like wasn't the point of cloud gaming that you didn't need a special computer to do it? Like, as long as your internet connection is good. If you're going to get specialized hardware, just go all the way and get a gaming computer.

yes, but part of the reason stadia failed so massively was that for the first half a year you couldn't actually do it on your own device, you HAD to buy the special $130 dongle
this was a 100% artificial restriction since in betas before that they had it running in chrome on beta testers' laptops and poo poo

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

cheetah7071 posted:

jesus christ that's what metaverse looks like?

that's what techbros are losing their minds over?

"the metaverse" was an existing meaningless buzzword before facebook renamed itself to capitalize on the hype. lots of unrelated poo poo uses that word.
that's what "horizon worlds" (fbmeta's vrchat+secondlife clone) looks like.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
although fb's rename-the-company marketing move is clearly working cus tons of people are conflating the existing metaverse meaningless-hype-word with their dumb vr product

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Cola is the absolute worst kind of soft drink, idk why it's so popular when it's worse than every other variety of sugarwater

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
bayonetta is clearly a cat person this is breaking my suspension of disbelief

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
when they give a VA an insultingly low offer like that and then replace her with a union actor when union rates are gonna be significantly above that, it shows something was going on besides just money.
who knows what kind of behind the scenes drama caused that though.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Former Human posted:

Does Steam show everyone the same recommendations in New Releases? Because all mine are either FPSes, Metroidvanias, or an 18+ game called Hot Pussy College.

for comparison mine looks like this

only like 2 fpses and one anime titty game in the popular tab I think, I didn't check them all though

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Elden Ring is 60, and Returnal comes to mind

Returnal isn't AAA is it? The dev Housemarque is more like mid-sized, not one of those huge megastudios.
I don't really know what the distinction is for AAA though.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Whoops, I'll take your word for it.

To be fair I've never played returnal or watched more than like 15 seconds clips of gameplay, I just had a vague understanding that it was some kinda roguelike run-based shooter (which is a genre which usually screams indie or mid-budget to me).

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
you can use ""pirate"" clients like cockatrice or xmage to play mtg over the internet while freely selecting from any card in existence for your deck
presumably that's only really good for playing against friends you already know though, unlike the official MTG Online and MTG Arena games (why are there two of them ??!?!?!) which have proper matchmaking and stuff

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Macaluso posted:

So I only have like a passing knowledge of MTG. I was under the impression the setting was like medieval fantasy or like lord of the rings. But now there's like space stuff and aliens. Does that stuff still take place in the same setting? Is it the future or an alternative reality?

MTG has a history of making jokey "un-" sets aka grey-border sets which are not tournament legal nor canon.
Those two space cards are from the "unfninity" joke set.

It has a bunch of goofy cards third-wall-breaking cards, like the handy-dandy clone machine and chaos confetti here, which enable an insanely impractical and overcomplicated "combo" that, as written, lets you tear your opponent's hand (their physical meat hand not their hand of cards) into confetti.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 18, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

GlyphGryph posted:

Does anyone know of any decent video games where the primary gameplay element is "novel research" or "discovering the rules of the world" with bonus points for "figuring out how to use them"?

It's hard to explain what I mean by that, but a very basic example would be, like... Zendo. Yeah, Zendo is a good example, I think. For those unaware, it's a very basic inductive reasoning game played between two or more players. You usually have pieces split into 3 shapes, each of which can come in 3 different colors, and 1 uknown "rule" that governs whether any arrangement (called a "koan") is "white" (follows the rule) or "black" (does not follow the rule). The rule can be almost anything, but by default they are quite simple, like "Contains exactly 3 red pieces". The goal of the game is to figure out the unknown rule by building koans.

So that's an example of what I mean. You have a small world with things you can interact with (shapes) and some world properties and the goal of the game is to experiment until you can figure out what those properties.

I have played a few video games that are sort of like this - for all the hate that it seems to get, I will always love the Witness because its one of the few games where this is a central component. BABA IS YOU is another example. Both of these games are very interested in making sure that you figure out all the rules really quickly though, and go out of their way to make doing so as easy as possible. They "teach you". Both of them are also largely dominated by very narrowly scoped puzzles that isolate you from the larger world (although both of them have interesting moments where you break out of those limits as well, BABA especially).

While puzzle games are fun and I'd love recommendations for more similar puzzle games (those are the only two I know of where this is a major mechanic), I'd especially love a recommendation for a game that is not a puzzle game, maybe something more open-worldy and sandboxy, where they give you the pieces and then step back to let you figure it out on your own.

It's quite possible that sort of game doesn't exist, I'm sure it would be niche of niche, but maybe it does and I've just never heard of it (or I have and didn't realize it had that sort of thing in it) so I figured I'd ask!

:siren: PLAY OUTER WILDS :siren:
(not outer worlds)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
do NOT play gun games with healthbars

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rinkles posted:

Not my cup of tea regardless, but I didn't realize things got so bad that vtubers are straight up verboten in adtrw

vtubers are tied way too closely into "insufferable horny weeb" internet culture and they couldn't get vtuber thread posters to stop posting about vtuber rear end (partially cus the vtubers themselves talk/tweet about vtuber rear end all the time too)
the thread went through multiple iterations of getting gassed (e: or just locked by the OP? idk) for excessive hornyposting and then resurrected again before the topic eventually just got banned

e:

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

If you make fun of posts like this in the vtuber thread the two ADTRW mods will do a Tag Team heat move from Yakuza: Like a Dragon on you instantly:

https://i.ibb.co/ggVbbxf/662-EC509-3315-4-F0-A-B496-1-AA7350517-B3.jpg

Not really NWS but I wouldn’t be real happy if my boss walked in when I had it on screen so I’ll just link

also an adtrw mod who posted in the thread got permabanned for, quote, "retweeting pedphile hentai"

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Infinitum posted:

From memory that wasn't the actual post, they just needed to attach it to something

just this once i will forgive fluffdaddy for not linking to the pedophile hentai tweet in the ban reason