Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
They actually let us dig tunnels into the ones near my school, which was not overly safe, looking back on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I'm very proud of this and never felt any remorse.

Nor should you. Sometimes there is just the right thing to do, rules be damned. Gonna die one day anyway.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

LadyAmbien posted:

Even in Fort Mac a lot of people didn't have them.

:staredog:

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6Zf_lnulDA

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
The snow plow turned the edge of the property into a fort for literally every house in the kootenay winters growing up. I distinctly remember jumping off the roof outside my bedroom window into the powder that had landed on my kick rear end snow fort pile.

I also remember use breaking a ton of glow sticks onto our snow forts, so ours was blue and the idiots next door were red and their allies were green and yellow. Years later I would plow my car through one and have to dig it out.

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

twistedmentat posted:

Gotta love the piles of snow in parking lots that are there until may. And by then its all grey and black and yellow from all the poo poo in the air. Every kid imagines digging into one and making a snow fort to rule all snow forts, but we're all told that would just result in our icy tombs.

Vividly remember going to dive into one of these piles and it being almost solid gravel and the kind of snow that's sharp

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

LadyAmbien posted:

Vividly remember going to dive into one of these piles and it being almost solid gravel and the kind of snow that's sharp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NQP2CsqUns

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

Lmao. Yep. That's the kind. I can still feel the ice rash on my hands. That guy seems a little old to have not realized it was going to be hard, I was like 5. Sucks to be him.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Let's talk about accents. Everyone's got one. You probably can't really hear your own, but to an English speaker from another part of the world, it's there.

I was just watching some UK videos and thinking how odd how not only numerous, but extremely distinct and recognizable (to one another) their accents are, and how they seem to be very geographically-defined. Maybe this is incorrect but it seems that way to an outsider.

Here in Canada, we have a couple of very strong regional accents - Newfoundland and Quebec. I think some Indigenous communities also have unique speech patterns. But other than that, I don't know that I could tell where someone is from by their accent. I've never heard a 'British Columbia accent', for example.

Would it be incorrect in saying that a lot of Canadian accents and speech mannerisms are delineated along class lines moreso than region, or if region plays a part, that it's mostly a rural/urban divide? Everyone knows the 'hoser' accent popularized by Bob & Doug McKenzie, Scott Thompson's 'drunk straight hockey fan' character, and to some extent the cast of Letterkenny But there's also a distinctly... for lack of a better term, posh, accent, that you can hear in a lot of politicians and figures in business or academia; Jordan Peterson talks like he's got a walking stick up his rear end, the Commissioner of the Emergency Act Inquiry kind of does too, and in a spot-on satirical way so does Gene Creemers from Wheels Ontario.

Does any of this make sense? Are there actually regional accents of which I'm totally ignorant?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I have never heard a class divide on accents except possibly that people of middle or upper class tend to adopt Standard English from an increase practice of usage in commerce.
i.e. If everybody is reading Bloomberg they'll all learn the same words. You don't need to know/use the word Escrow until you do.

However I really have to disagree with your assessment. There is totally a North Ontario Accent, consequently a South Ontario accent. Absolutely the same breakdown from accents in Southern / Northern Quebec.
Definitely various accents all along the East Coast and a historian or "A part of our Heritage" can probably explain more about why, though the short version is slavery. BC accent is a west-coast one with an increase of filler words + tonal inflection. Theres a midwestern accent going on in various parts of the mid-west. Copious regional dialects and native accents throughout the country. No idea what goes on in the far north but I'm going to go ahead and bet it has a distinctive speech pattern associated with it.

This whole country is one accent or another.

Source: I'm on the phones all day.

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f
I agree with a bit of both from the previous two comments. There is a bit more regional variation than just Quebec and Newfoundland. Rural people from Ontario say "car" with an accent to my Alberta born ears. Also in Alberta I think there are two main accents. They are basically rural/working class and urban/white collar. Social class might not be as significant as the rural/urban distinction, but it has something to do with it as well. Sometimes these accents might even be put on a bit, for example depending on your social situation in high school in a city like Edmonton, you might want to sound like "one of the boys from Leduc" rather than the rich kid whose parents moved to Alberta from Vancouver or Toronto. Of course in other cliques you really don't want to sound like a country bumpkin. So some people from Alberta are indistinguishable from any other anglophone from a major Canadian city, whereas many other Albertans have a bit of a "Get er done" "Let's go fer a rip" kind of drawl.

jmnmu fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 26, 2022

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I was born in Toronto, lived there until I was 11:00, and then Nova Scotia for 9 years. I've been living in the US ever since, but I think 11 or 12 years ago I was visiting Ottawa and chatting with a bartender who happens to be a second cousin of mine. I told him where I was born, where I lived, and he said he could definitely hear an Eastern accent in me. I could definitely hear his Ontario accent.

Being in the army cadets as a kid, I got to experience both Newfoundland and Cape Breton accents at summer camp. Funniest part was being immersed in those accents for 6 or 7 weeks, and then returning to college in the States and nobody could understand me for a couple of days.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiIEPqMuzVc

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

That one isn't really accent so much as just different common phrasing.

Accent is real though, I can tell 90% of the time with my eyes closed if someone is indigenous, especially if they came up on the rez.

East coast is also it's own thing, and Quebecois if mother tongue, obviously obvious.

Asian male, even born and raised here, can pretty much peg.

PNW white, same thing.

And of course SE Asian, same thing, born and raised.

I dunno, some combo of your vocal structure (?) and just what you've heard all your life growing up from your folks and whatnot.

And you can code switch between them at the flip of a hat. I find that if someone talks a certain way I subconsciously switch to it, drop in and out of their language, and convo goes smoother for both. loving love language. Eh.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This should be our goddamned anthem.

Suck it, Cyril Sneer!

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
thirtysomething bachelor from southeast michigan with computer touching skills here. should I try to move to toronto?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

olives black posted:

thirtysomething bachelor from southeast michigan with computer touching skills here. should I try to move to toronto?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4015457

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

No, we're full.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Move to a small town, try to find something cheaper with the market being lovely and the interest rate being high, and work remote or whatever you can find in your new small town that you don't know anyone in.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah move to a small town where there's nothing to do and everyone is suspicious of outsiders and extremely conservative. There's probably no reason why property is so cheap there, it's actually very desirable!

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I got my own place, it's pretty sweet to have that. People seem as quiet and unfriendly here as the big city, its perfect.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The Fattest PI posted:

Yeah move to a small town where there's nothing to do and everyone is suspicious of outsiders and extremely conservative. There's probably no reason why property is so cheap there, it's actually very desirable!

Schitts Creek became a lot less unrealistic when I realized you could literally buy some backwoods town in the Maritimes for the cost of a detached house in Toronto.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Charles Bukowski posted:

Move to a small town, try to find something cheaper with the market being lovely and the interest rate being high, and work remote or whatever you can find in your new small town that you don't know anyone in.

See, I don't know anyone in my current small town, and I have a sneaking suspicion that this is why I spend half of my waking hours praying for death by meteor

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Schitts Creek became a lot less unrealistic when I realized you could literally buy some backwoods town in the Maritimes for the cost of a detached house in Toronto.

They also made the small town characters intentionally far more tolerant and normal (ie, less bigoted) than one might expect in many places.
Sets a good example. Love to see it.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

B33rChiller posted:

They also made the small town characters intentionally far more tolerant and normal (ie, less bigoted) than one might expect in many places.
Sets a good example. Love to see it.

It was way more diverse than you would see in most of rural small towns as well. It was a good show, funny but heartfelt. Great actors helped carry it the rest of the way.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Having grown up in rural Alberta, it was just too unrealistic for me. But then again, I was a trailer park kid.

My town had two trailer parks. There was the nice one, it had paved roads and curbs and little grass lawns. Mine had none of that. All gravel and weeds, hell yeah.

I used to watch packs of coyotes run down the highway from my bedroom window, only about 30 feet away. The other side of the highway was a crop field, I got to watch deer there sometimes. It was pretty cool, actually. I love wildlife.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So on one side of the town you had Jim Lahey's Sunvale Estates for retirees, and on the other side of the town you had Ricky's Sunnyvale of the Apocalypse. Particle board Fort walls and hash driveways.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Americans don't know about house hippos or the fact that there is one dead Chinaman for every mile of track, and it shows.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Do they even know about the lady with the chocolates who ran through the snow to tell some people something apparently important?
Hmmm? Didn't think so.
:smug:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mad Hamish posted:

Americans don't know about house hippos or the fact that there is one dead Chinaman for every mile of track, and it shows.

Had a very excited chat with another Canadian about house hippos, planet danger and "don't you put it in your mouth" in front of some Brits and they were wildly confused

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

I still sing the chorus to "don't you put it in your mouth" every so often

Jaxts
Apr 29, 2008
Je suis un ananas!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

MakaVillian posted:

I still sing the chorus to "don't you put it in your mouth" every so often

Be weird if you didn't. That poo poo was drilled into our heads like Brave New World. Show me a muffin or a beet, and for a split second I'm 10 again.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

B33rChiller posted:

Do they even know about the lady with the chocolates who ran through the snow to tell some people something apparently important?
Hmmm? Didn't think so.
:smug:

Americans would presumably think Secord is a villain in this story.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

For he goes birling down and down the white water

That's where the log driver learns to step lightly
It's birling down, and down white water

A log driver's waltz pleases girls completely.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Mad Hamish posted:

Americans would presumably think Secord is a villain in this story.

Wait until they taste her chocolates

Edit: The Log Driver's waltz is a horny song as an adult

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Buddy, if you're not birling the white water before you start log driving you're doing it wrong

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I smell burnt toast!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK-nMwqyqQY

The 1984 one still looks good. The 2000 reboot is just terrible.