Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've been getting some really bad snipes lately so here's a tax:
[video type=""]youtube.com/watch?v=WKLMI-vMGiE[/video]

Colonel Cancer posted:

At least 69% of all posts itt should originate in Canada or they'll take us off the internet

CanCon rule is only 35%, and Our Lady Peace were actually a loving awesome band.

wesleywillis posted:

Canada is a country that is pretty good, but has also done some awful poo poo. Its a land of contrasts. I like living here and like my flag, but I hate those freedom cunts. gently caress them.

Also gently caress hockey and gently caress Tim Hortons.

I mostly feel the same way, although after the indigenous mass graves, our laughable 'reconciliation' responses, and especially after the truck haul putsch, I admit I see our flag in a very different light. I certainly won't fly one again, and just seeing one flying off the back of a car gives me an uneasy feeling, like there's a really good chance the driver is an unvaccinated white nationalist. I mean the thought was always there but now it's a... forgive me, it's a real red flag.

Everyone who isn't a chud knows that Tim Horton's is dogshit, but it's still so ingrained in most of us that stopping at one after a music festival or other road trip excursion is almost more than a cultural tradition. Obviously it's mostly for lack of alternatives but there is something welcoming about the environment and a nice hot crap-flavoured coffee when you're tired and hungover and reeking of a campfire and sore from being stuffed into a full car with your luggage on your lap.

Hockey is fine, IMO, as someone who got into it later in life - neither of my parents were sports fans, I was raised on music. My college roommates and their friends were chain-smoking hosers and the Leafs sad camaraderie kind of grew on me. It's a fun activity to turn your brain off and enjoy with your neanderthal buddies and a dozen beer. But hoo boy, we gotta hang our heads in shame because it just might be the actual Most Problematic Sport. It's a rich boys' club rife with helicopter parents, racism and sexual assault, on literally every level from little league to the pros. 'gently caress hockey' is absolutely a fair assessment.

My vote in any election should be worth at least twice that of someone who lives in Muskoka.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
People flying flags were always nationalist assholes regardless of where they are from imho.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sports is like the one time it's okay to be a stupid nationalist, but even then it can get real dodgy fast

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
the French version of O Canada is way more metal than the English

English:
O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all of us command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
𝄆 O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

French:
O Canada!
Land of our ancestors
Glorious deeds circle your brow
For your arm knows how to wield the sword
Your arm knows how to carry the cross;
Your history is an epic
Of brilliant deeds
And your valour steeped in faith
𝄆 Will protect our homes and our rights.

also apparently I'm distantly related on my mom's side to the guy who wrote the English version

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Ruby Gloom posted:

timbits suck, do not @ me

birthday cake timbits rule, and upon this hill i shall die

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I went to Canada once, it was pretty fun, their cigarettes come in weird boxes and have weird filters and I didn't get my passport stamped.

That is my Canada story

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f

Nooner posted:

I went to Canada once, it was pretty fun, their cigarettes come in weird boxes and have weird filters and I didn't get my passport stamped.

That is my Canada story

our cigarettes come with the most disgusting pictures imaginable on them

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

jmnmu posted:

our cigarettes come with the most disgusting pictures imaginable on them

How much did they pay you for the rights to your photos?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Mister Speaker posted:

I've been getting some really bad snipes lately so here's a tax:
[video type=""]youtube.com/watch?v=WKLMI-vMGiE[/video]

CanCon rule is only 35%, and Our Lady Peace were actually a loving awesome band.

I mostly feel the same way, although after the indigenous mass graves, our laughable 'reconciliation' responses, and especially after the truck haul putsch, I admit I see our flag in a very different light. I certainly won't fly one again, and just seeing one flying off the back of a car gives me an uneasy feeling, like there's a really good chance the driver is an unvaccinated white nationalist. I mean the thought was always there but now it's a... forgive me, it's a real red flag.

Everyone who isn't a chud knows that Tim Horton's is dogshit, but it's still so ingrained in most of us that stopping at one after a music festival or other road trip excursion is almost more than a cultural tradition. Obviously it's mostly for lack of alternatives but there is something welcoming about the environment and a nice hot crap-flavoured coffee when you're tired and hungover and reeking of a campfire and sore from being stuffed into a full car with your luggage on your lap.

Hockey is fine, IMO, as someone who got into it later in life - neither of my parents were sports fans, I was raised on music. My college roommates and their friends were chain-smoking hosers and the Leafs sad camaraderie kind of grew on me. It's a fun activity to turn your brain off and enjoy with your neanderthal buddies and a dozen beer. But hoo boy, we gotta hang our heads in shame because it just might be the actual Most Problematic Sport. It's a rich boys' club rife with helicopter parents, racism and sexual assault, on literally every level from little league to the pros. 'gently caress hockey' is absolutely a fair assessment.

My vote in any election should be worth at least twice that of someone who lives in Muskoka.
Remind me to reply to this later. I'm drunk posting from my phone at the bar right now.

Re: the national anthem. I'm not offended in the least that it has become gender neutral.
However, I'm not an English professor, but "all of us command" seems like bad grammar. Should it not be something like "all of our command"?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

How is Canada holding up money wise? There's got to be a shortage since you've got to reprint everything with the new King's face on it? I saw where it wasn't doing good and that's just bad, but you know that's what happens when that sort of thing happens and you have to be careful about it

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Maybe we'll just take royalty off the money now that she's dead. We removed a lot of dead white men from our money lately, its a good start. Also got rid of some racist statues like y'all did.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Omnicarus posted:

How is Canada holding up money wise? There's got to be a shortage since you've got to reprint everything with the new King's face on it? I saw where it wasn't doing good and that's just bad, but you know that's what happens when that sort of thing happens and you have to be careful about it

apparently, all their money is currently printed on the hides of creatures that are no longer extant. As a result, the nation can no longer create money. This will lead to the adoption of bottle caps or "caps" as the official currency of the realm.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Omnicarus posted:

I keep hearing this and I'm like what? Is there a rule that the head of state has to be updated on commonwealth monies when they croak? We've had dead prime ministers on our money for hundreds of years probably. What's one dead queen?

Anyway if they do update the bills I expect there will be a sizeable backlash about putting ol' Chuck on them. I've already seen some great suggestions for alternatives, like Alanis Morissette.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Charles Bukowski posted:

You're lucky you weren't boarded by fierce Canadian pirates patrolling our shores.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G_L9tXEwmc

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Mister Speaker posted:

. I've already seen some great suggestions for alternatives, like Alanis Morissette.

Well she is a rock star, and a rock legend to the max.

I guess what I'm saying is she really whips a horse's rear end.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm glad I left that authoritarian failed petrostate shithole.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
go blue jays!!!!!!!

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Did you know Canada's main approach to combating braindrain of everyone successful leaving the country is just to punish you for daring to leave by a deemed disposition on literally everything you own. Also they retain tax withholdings on any equity grants issued to you while you were a tax resident, forever. Even once you leave the country and are not a tax resident, nor employee of any canadian company. They're gonna keep taxing you!

Not sure why anybody would try to simp for a country that is utterly non-competitive and survives only by draconian protectionism dragging in every industry resulting in unmitigated consumer sodomy. See: dairy, healthcare, education, housing, telecom, air travel to name a few. There's a reason 40% of all medical doctors leave for the united states within 5 years of completing residency. A quarter of the entire GDP is chinese money laundering by the real estate market.

The entire Canadian identity is nothing but patting yourself on the back for how Not American you are. Despite of course 98% of all media consumed originating from the US and virtually all products used being designed in the US and then later imported.

Canada somehow manages to be the single worst emitter of greenhouse gases per capita in the world. Worse than the united states.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 2, 2022

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oh god, not you again.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Mister Speaker posted:

Oh god, not you again.

Name every famous Canadian musician and actor you can think of. What country do they live and work in?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

LOL

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Methanar posted:

Did you know Canada's main approach to combating braindrain of everyone successful leaving the country is just to punish you for daring to leave by a deemed disposition on literally everything you own. Also they retain tax withholdings on any equity grants issued to you while you were a tax resident, forever. Even once you leave the country and are not a tax resident, nor employee of any canadian company. They're gonna keep taxing you!

Not sure why anybody would try to simp for a country that is utterly non-competitive and survives only by draconian protectionism dragging in every industry resulting in unmitigated consumer sodomy. See: dairy, healthcare, education, housing, telecom, air travel to name a few. There's a reason 40% of all medical doctors leave for the united states within 5 years of completing residency. A quarter of the entire GDP is chinese money laundering by the real estate market.

The entire Canadian identity is nothing but patting yourself on the back for how Not American you are. Despite of course 98% of all media consumed originating from the US and virtually all products used being designed in the US and then later imported.

Canada somehow manages to be the single worst emitter of greenhouse gases per capita in the world. Worse than the united states.

:ok:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Meth we're you ever officially unbanned from posting in GBS?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Methanar posted:

I've heard something about a genocide ranking list?

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

My partner is Canadian so I get spend a lot of time in Canada. Unfortunately the part of Canada is Calgary Alberta. :heritage:

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005

Methanar posted:

Name every famous Canadian musician and actor you can think of. What country do they live and work in?

Not that it matters, but plenty of successful Canadian actors and musicians still live in Canada at least part time if not fully. Seth Rogan, Mike Myers, Ryan Gosling, Ryan Reynolds, Drake just off the top of my head.

As far as working in the US, yes, that's where the majority of the work is, but you do also know that Canada's film industry is huge, right? Like, a large portion of American media is filmed in Canada. Most scenes of "New York" are actually Toronto. Almost the entire CW lineup is filmed in one block in Vancouver.

Anyway, more to the point, what's your problem, man?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Seth Rogen is Canadian so gently caress Canada.

The Unicorns are cool tho. Drake's not. Drake sucks. Him and Seth Rogen can blow each other.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Pretty sure both surviving members of the greatest band of all time, RUSH, still reside here in the GTA.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

I'm Canadian by birth but moved to America when I was 6. I dont think it was the right thing to do, personally.

I remember the milk in the bag, and how great loonies and toonies are.

MettleRamiel
Jun 29, 2005
It's really weird to see someone so hostile to Canada when by and large it's pretty chill and leaves everyone else alone.

It's like yelling at a cow.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I went to Ottawa for a convention and ended up sitting at a hotel bar with the most beautiful girl I have ever seen. She was a French-Canadian model of some sort and appreciated my stammering recommendation of the hotel's steak frites.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga9UPYNfpqM

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
"The uploader has not made this video available in your country"

Hahaha, classic Canada. Nice one.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Methanar posted:

-20 and colder in the winter along with 30+ in the summer will do that to you.

How about that genocide list eh?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I mean I agree that the sight of my flag does not evoke the same feelings it did even 5 years ago, nevermind when I was a kid. The freedom lovers ruined it for me by flying it off their car taped to hockey sticks and celebrating their desire to not have empathy.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Methanar posted:

To quote a famous American musician: "suck a male camel's dick".

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-K990t7qFM

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

MettleRamiel posted:

It's really weird to see someone so hostile to Canada when by and large it's pretty chill and leaves everyone else alone.

It's like yelling at a cow.

Its a bunch of americans, of course theyre going to be mad at our superior country

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

My Spirit Otter posted:

Its a bunch of americans, of course theyre going to be mad at our superior country

to be fair, british columbia is the only good part of canada. But it's very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
If we're so great how come we don't have a bus service? Why does my town not have a single doctors office or clinic? Ohh you mean Vancouver! Yeah the coast is really nice, great food.