Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

diamond joe's gonna do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ASAPI posted:

While it is a step towards accountability, I am confused why this step took so long. Wouldn't it have been easier to do this when school wasn't in session?

When action against cops comes too late and too little I just assume the people taking it were busy getting harassed and road blocked until something forced the issue. There’s speculation that they’re getting ahead of some additional news.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

rip in piss, awkward "x" crammed onto a word

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

How do you pronounce "Latin@"?

Latin-at!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SquirrelyPSU posted:

2e: Lol Putin saying the rail bridge will be open later in the day

How about the noodle road next to it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Finally, somebody willing to get some answers out of The Jews.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How much is he/his estate actually going to have to pay?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh so this time there's not going to be a gotcha where it turns out he only actually owes $200k or some other pittance? That's great

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I feel harmed by shirtless photos of Jones and thus should be entitled to at least $25k

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

yeah nice lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

I mean, he's been for decades one of the most prolific purveyors of a toxic and broken mindset that pushed countless Americans down the path to fascism and violence. It's not easy to draw as direct a line as Purdue and opiate deaths, but that doesn't mean he's just some clown with a podcast.

People get way invested in stuff like “Trump isn’t the problem he’s just a symptom” but it’s still super important that figureheads experience consequences because that’s how shadowy stuff spreads and gains support.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

So this just happened. 4 years of performative sanctions against China under Trump and Dark Brandon hits it right on the nose

https://twitter.com/jordanschnyc/status/1580889342402129921?s=20&t=Us5Uf-ko2WFT62CDqnWamw

https://twitter.com/jordanschnyc/status/1580889343417233409?s=20&t=sUxd0qCljT-oT642wRRmWg

wow

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BadOptics posted:

Yes, I *know* that the town driving an innocent crazy guy to suicide is turning them into the very monster they are trying to kill!!!

Are you telling me the real monster is...Man!? How fresh!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

It'll hopefully spurn a lot of re-industrialization in the West, here's hoping.

COVID highlighted such an absurd global bottleneck for electronics supply chains that it was hard to believe everyone let it get that way. I hope this and the other supply chain resiliency efforts work.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

The removal of US citizenship is what seems like bullshit to me. That is not something that is easily done. Most of the ways one loses citizenship are through voluntary actions, like renouncing it or (potentially) running for foreign office. You can lose it by committing treason (which is very narrowly defined by the constitution and requires a court conviction) but that particular penalty is mostly reserved for dual citizens outside the US .

Unless I'm grossly mistaken, I don't think a simple act of Congress or executive order stripping citizenship has passed constitutional muster.

If this is an ITAR/EAR thing then a company would be limited in how it can employ US citizens to interact with China. I don't think the idea is that they're literally being stripped of their citizenship, but that they can't continue the same line of work supporting Chinese chip fabrication as US citizens.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

I was responding to the tweet that stated flatly that people who work in China would lose their US citizenship. I am not commenting in any way on the regime of sanctions China is facing. The specific part about losing citizenship is bullshit.

I’m aware. I am talking about that tweet. I am saying that “pick between losing their jobs and losing US citizenship” can be interpreted as a statement saying they would have to renounce their citizenship to keep their jobs because that is what ITAR/EAR enforces.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Imagine making crypto your personality

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

One of mine is super proud of having half his savings in the form of Tesla stock and he jumps into every chat conversation mentioning Tesla or Elon so fast I suspect he set up a keyword trigger

For a while he was also advertising his twitch stream on the government networks and asking for donations

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I met Shotwell back when we were putting the DSCOVR launch together and she seemed like she was truly the brains of the operation

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

People are really trying hard to thread the needle of criticizing Kanye while coming across as empathetic to folks with mental health issues.

IMO that’s a waste of time. That guy can absolutely get hosed and I don’t particularly care if he gets help or not, I just want him to stop turbocharging a bunch of bigots into starting a new pogrom.

Right now the right answer seems to be to keep banning his hateful rear end from chat services and force him to scurry into the Darkweb. Hopefully next he’ll lose his deal to design ugly shoes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I can absolutely believe Grimes is a creation of Elon’s brain

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Protecting classified information is a lifelong obligation and post-government employment is subject to review that is real, if mostly pretty cursory, so it’s not a scandal. The US generally isn’t in the business of forbidding its citizens from gaining employment in other countries, and the big exceptions are when it comes to working business that deal in export-controlled data like what just happened with Chinese chip manufacturers.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 18, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arrath posted:

The entire concept of this revolving door of PMs and cabinet continuing the cycle without a General Election to give the public a chance to throw the whole lot of incompetents out on their asses is just so weird to me.

It certainly seems like a pretty big mark against parliamentary systems.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Can't believe a head of lettuce got milkshake ducked

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just conceptually I'm having a hard time understanding how a private, uninvolved citizen goes about challenging an election.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

You can sue literally anyone or anything in any court for anything you can imagine unless specifically prohibited by law, and even then you can challenge that law in court

Yeah I guess the only difference between this and the unending tide of SovCit bullshit is how much the elected/appointed officials involved are paid to care about it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Elon warriors have been going pretty hard in that direction, as well. The guy merely had to make a tweet and now there’s piles of goons on Reddit talking about how Ukraine needs to capitulate because it’s just not worth it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m a huge fan of the “I’ll take responsibility but before I do I need you to understand I’m blaming someone else” line whenever I see it.

Like some staffer dredged up a months-old letter, updated it, and published it to the nation without any direction.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lol Twitter is gonna own in a few weeks

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That’s not real. He didn’t do that. That can’t have been what happened. There is no way he literally just showed up at Skechers HQ and demanded to talk to the owner.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This is a man who has totally alienated anyone who once had the patience to help him

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

He tried so hard not to but now he earns twitter. May god save his soul.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I thought we'd have to wait for the folks responsible for keeping a lid on that to get fired but I guess Elon must have sent out a memo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

He wasn’t helldumped. People just posted things he posted. Helldumping was full on doxxing and posting poo poo from people’s lives off forum.

I disagree with the c-spam thread on a lot of stuff, but quoting someone’s posts made somewhere else on SA is not helldumping.

No, that’s what eventually got Helldump closed but where it started was with goons taking peoples posts on the forum and harassing them over it. Parts of CSPAM function like that without any real moderation. For that particular poster, they were helldumping them over their personal stories, brigading the other thread, and calling him and his family nazis amongst other nasty speculation.

What’s gotten the GBS thread closed repeatedly is not the harassment, brigading, and endless incitement of conflict with source-your-quote posting happening in other threads but the fact that people in GBS thread are pissed about it and keep bringing up that it’s happening. It’s a ridiculous double standard and not good for forums health at all.

I’m annoyed with the whole thing because of how the punishment is focused on the people mentioning the harassing behavior instead of the behavior itself, and the thread just went through a dumb sideshow where an admin shut it down to take feedback and just whined about how they’d rather be getting coffee and watching sports instead of dealing with it before proceeding to do absolutely nothing.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 29, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

So twitter doesn't ping you to constantly log in to see "restricted" tweets or whatnot. Scrolling twitter in a browser usually brings up a prompt to sign in or sign up that blocks the browser screen.

Yeah Twitter and Reddit are full of dark design stuff that forces you to make an account and access it through the app, not the phone browser. Reddit is particularly wild with it, in that they have a fully-featured, decent mobile version of the site that fights you every step of the way.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

:goofy:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I get that right wingers are an actual real threat IRL compared to shithead online “leftists” but I also don’t share a forum and online communities with right wingers so pardon me for focusing on the people getting deep into the same kind of poo poo and chasing good posters off on my home turf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wendy’s PR gonna do a fun little rivalry bit with Arby’s surrounded by a thousand dudes spamming the N word