Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cis man, and I also don't get what the gently caress a gender is. I took various gender studies classes at uni, but I'm even more unclear after that. I'm going with man because it's easy and doesn't bother me, but I don't really have any strong attachment to it. I especially don't get it in relation to sexuality, how can you reject someone romantically or sexually based on something as nebulous as gender?
So yeah, I'm echoing the question of what is gender for someone who (pretty much by definition) cares about it?

And for the record: just because I don't get it doesn't mean I'm not trying my best to respect whatever gender identity anyone has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Thanks for trying to take on my dumb question. I am hopefully learning.
The things I don't get are
1: if it's about gender roles, what's the difference between just being a cis man who doesn't want to "act like a man" and being a trans woman? Like, when I was at uni, I would sometimes wear a dress and I am definitely the person to bring cake to work and other stuff that's traditionally a woman's role. But to me, that's just saying gently caress you to patriarchy and gendered expectations and less about wanting to be "on the other team". Basically, I conform to my gender when I feel like it and also when I don't care, but whenever something traditionally manly feels bad, I try to avoid it. And then my actual gender feels less important than how I'm actually being perceived as a person, in the sense that I don't really care about what pronouns anyone uses for me, as long as I get to drink a pink cocktail and not watch sports.
I guess my main source of confusion is that the concept of gender, in my experience, has very little importance, and it's hard for me to understand why some people think it's important enough to (in some cases) undergo major surgery.

2: if gender dysphoria (as in, in those cases where it is) is about the actual physical body and parts, why do we need the sex/gender distinction? I realize that's probably a big can of worms though.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

BattyKiara posted:

I grew up in the Roma cuIture (weII, one of the Roma cuItures, there are huge differences between different tribes and even different cIans), do you want to hear about some gender stuff that does, but aIso does not, fit under what we wouId caII trans today? PreferabIy without any judgement of course

Definitely post the trans adjacent stuff here, but maybe it would also be a cool thread on its own? As a European, I'm sure I have some unrealised anti Roma sentiments that I need to have beaten out of me.