Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Hey I'm just starting to transition myself, (I'm 31, I found out that I'm trans like 6 months ago. It's been so freeing so far :) ) and I would like to know when you felt safe going out to do day-to-day stuff wearing women's clothing.

I've been going out to a few places that I know are LGBTQ-friendly without any issues, but to other places I still basically present as a man, but with some accessories and things like tight jeans, which I think are a little androgynous at a glance.

Basically I would like to know how to gauge whether it would be safe or not to me to go to a certain place dressed how I want to.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Thanks, this is all pretty interesting to read!

Seconded! I was meaning to ask pretty much the same questions, since it had been a while.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Rooting for you op! Hope it goes well. ♥️

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Gnossiennes posted:

oh actually i left out a key part about scrotoplasty + phalloplasty lol

if you're doing phallo, you also have the choice of getting an erectile implant or not, and if you choose implant, there's two main variants: a flexible rod (essentially so you can bend it down for the ol daily driver mode), OR an inflatable implant. the inflatable implant has saline that moves from a reservoir into cylinders in the shaft implant, and a pump and a release valve in the scrote for moving the saline back and forth. so in some cases, the testicular implants are those instead of just the ovoid ones.

saline is stored in the balls...?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

The Before Times: What does it feel like to be trans before you realize it? Before you know trans exists?

from high school onward, if anything like those feelings bubbled up from my subconscious, i'd rationalize it away as some kind of insane sexual fetish, or a random misfire from a brain plagued with depression, anxiety disorders, undiagnosed ADHD, & undiagnosed ASD; and think nothing more of it. i'd also started to look in the mirror and see... this is kinda hard to describe very well, but i wouldn't see me, but an ugly, fat sack of meat & bone carrying me. just didn't care about my appearance at all anymore, save for being socially appropriate - orderly hair, clean clothes, and all that

so that's how it felt to be trans before i realized it was a possibility, before even conceptualizing the idea of being transgender: a barely-explicable degree of constant ennui and self-disinterest that i at-best misunderstood, and at-worst hated myself for.

I want to pluck this in specific because that matches my experience to a T but I want to add in a little something else.

Before I found out, I was so detached from my body that I had always seen it as nothing more than a jar that kept my brain, and it was just a tool that my mind used to interact with the world. I also never interested in myself to go beyond being socially acceptable (even though something or another belied my depression, ie unkempt beard, just ill-fitting, ratty (at least clean) clothing, and so on). On that note, when I did try putting in effort, like nicer men's clothing, it just felt... wrong. I can't quite explain it besides that I felt I was in a costume that was always about to fall off.

My eureka moment was after a sleepless night a few days I participated in a workshop that asked us to introspect our identity. In 31 years I had never earnestly did that, and I'm glad I finally did it. The moment I accepted I was trans was a huge relief to me, and it was the first time in forever that I felt truly happy and free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Hey OP, I'm wondering how you're getting on with your recovery. I hope it's going well. :)