Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Cishet man trying to learn how to be an ally here.

I have a young family member whom I believe has been experiencing dysphoria for a few years now but it's probably coming to a head as they approach high school graduation and moving on to college. I don't think they're expecting a ton of support from most of the family but I want to make sure they know I'm unquestionably ready to be there, all the way up to taking them into my household if it ever came to it (probably won't). We're not super close but have a very tight bond (despite a 20 year age gap) if that makes sense. They already know I'm an ally in general I think, but don't know that I know about their gender struggle. So I want them to know with confidence I'm ready to roll whenever they do come out.

So I guess I'm curious to know from trans/nb folks here if and how you knew which of your friends or family wouldn't bat an eye when you shared your transition with them. Other than just being good supportive family and friends, were there behaviors, language, stuff that told you "Cousin Henry will absolutely have my back in this, no question?" I'm really worried about them, they're not in a good part of the world for this, and in my eyes they're in many ways still a kid. It's scary being a teenager anyway, I can't imagine how much worse it is in the wrong body/persona/identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU