Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

What is the biggest thing I can do to be an ally and support system to my husband, who has started the process of transitioning into a woman?

Pronouns are not yet altered. He hasn't decided on a new name. Afaik, surgery isn't on the books, but hair removal and hormone therapy likely will be. I think! He's very early into this, but is experimenting with fashion, wigs, and a silicone breast plate. I want to be as prepared and as helpful as possible, but this is all incredibly new and somewhat intimidating to me, and I really don't always know how to act or think or even feel about things! I'm not scared about the future of our relationship, but I just don't know enough about the transgender community or what transgender people go through. I have trans friends and friends-of-friends but I could really use some additional insights.

Any good resources you could recommend for someone in my position?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i love you so much ^^^

Ty for the responses above. I'll check out that book and take your other advice to heart.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

oh god oh gently caress posted:

Fyi if you don't already know about it there's a trans chat thread in CCCC

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3906197&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

link for anyone who needs it

I will also start following that thread!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Wishing you a swift recovery!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I didn't find laser to be too painful on my face/chin (thanks, PCOS!). Much like with tattoos, pain will vary based on body location and your own biology, and can also vary based on how hydrated and well-rested/energized you're feeling at the time.

It does work very well and I recommend it over electrolysis.