Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Me again. posted:

This is a really cool topic! How does a person who's middle aged and has already built a life even get started? Like, didn't you have to burn down a lot of the life you had built when presenting as a man?

This used to be how it worked when being trans was seen as such a negative thing that it was considered better to tell your children that you died and start a new life in another ciry. Nowadays for the most part, in western society, people just transition and maintain their lives. Some relationships fall apart, but there is an assumption that everyone who transitions while married gets divorced which is not true.

For me, the process of coming out was kind of disappointing. I expected it to be shocking or controversial, but people just didn't care that much.

quote:

Also, in what practical order does a trans person set themselves up in society? I'd really love to hear about what it was like to learn to socialize differently and about the ways it was challenging. Did you work with anyone to help build new social scripts, or maybe working and socializing as a woman came more naturally to you?

Early in transition, I thought I needed to stop "acting like a man" and start "acting like a woman." This was mostly just borne out of insecurity and my imposter syndrome. Men and women don't actually have fundamentally different behaviours. The ways in which my behaviours have changed in a gendered way are mostly just for safety reasons. No walking alone at night, etc. I just act like me and do what feels right to me, and if somebody thinks what I do makes me not a woman, then gently caress you too, buddy.

And, there's not defined order to do things in. Some people come out and socially transition for years before starting hormones. I started hormones and then waited about six months before telling anyone I knew, and another year before presenting full time and then 6 more months before starting to get my documents changed. I didn't have a romantic partner at the time, so I didn't feel obligated to tell anyone right away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Neuronyx posted:

Assuming dysphoria means I feel like a woman in a man's body then what I said stands.

If we make that assumption then I never had dysphoria either. I just wanted to be a girl bad enough that I became a girl. I never had any sense that I was something I wasn't, or some intrinsic sense of gender beyond thinking that being a woman would be better than being a man (For reasons I couldn't quite describe).

You don't need to meet some threshold of suffering to do gender how you want. If you think changing something would make you feel better, that's all you need to try it out. And it was always easier for me when I focused on what makes me feel good rather than what makes me feel bad. People can be depressed for all kinds of reasons. But there's not a lot of reasons to feel happy about the idea of being a girl.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 24, 2022

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

wesleywillis posted:

Question for OP and any other trans people here who wish to answer.

I will never stop being trans. There's no point in transition where you become cis. Also, I think it took a couple days after finally accepting I was trans for me to go "Guess that means I'm gay now." "Lesbian" is harder for some reason. I still struggle with that.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

banned from Starbucks posted:

As an owner of balls....they are not worth it. Take the best of both worlds option and get a dick and say no thanks to the scrotoplasty.

But you can get cyber balls where you squeeze a ball to pump up your dick.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I think the answer to both of those questions is "nobody knows"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Hormonal sex is just what your primary sex hormone is. It affects your metabolism and hepatic parameters, as well as most sex dependent disease risk factors.

Changing your hormonal sex can go on to affect other sexed aspects of your body, but those are the immediate changes.