Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Ohtori Akio posted:

tmi: I have had friends opt for "shallow" vaginoplasty, which avoids many of the risk and inconveniences of full-depth vaginoplasty. Others need full-depth vaginoplasty to reduce physical dysphoria to a tolerable level, and they find a way to afford this.

Stupid question, but your wording made me wonder: are shallow vaginoplasties more affordable than full-depth? I understand that a full-depth is a more medically involved procedure (and presumably demands more surgical expertise, which, $$$), but I'd have assumed a lot of complexity and cost would be about the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, I had no idea scrotoplasty was even an option -- I'd only heard about phalloplasty/metoidioplasty. Appreciate the info! And best wishes for a speedy recovery, Frozen Peach!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, "biological sex" is itself a complicated question, because there's a ton of developmental variation at every level of the process. Most (but not all) viable human embryos will have either an XY or XX pair of sex chromosomes; usually (but not always) the Y chromosome carries the genetic factor that causes penile/testicular genital structures to form (unless the embryo has another genetic condition that might change that, like androgen insensitivity syndrome). Most babies will be born with genitals that match one of two binary setups, but many will not, and binary primary sexual characteristics have a pretty broad spectrum of presentation even before you get into things like hormone production, which has a ton of variation too. The whole thing is immensely complicated, and the transphobic purity tests about "real, biological" men and women don't hold true for a lot of cis binary people.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yeah, there are a ton of factors and they're by and large broad spectrums with lots of bell-curve overlap, because sexual and reproductive traits are something development can be really squishy about and still have a viable organism at the end, compared to most bodily systems. It's wild stuff.