Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

my cat is norris posted:

Any good resources you could recommend for someone in my position?

When I sent a letter to family I included two links for good primers. The first one in particular was really helpful for my wife and I as far as offering a shared vocabulary and a starting point for talking about how my experience was or wasn’t like what’s described in the site.

quote:

Primer: A resource that is a great starting point for learning about all this is https://genderdysphoria.fyi which helpfully breaks things down into the history, big concepts, and some of the experiences/ It also has information about treatment and how it all works.

More on the science: Surprisingly, the best overview of the wide and wonderful world of human biology Tim found was this article from a weightlifting website. https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog/shades-of-gray-sex-gender-and-fairness-in-sport/

Something to consider for yourself is that this might be an opportunity to think about and enrich your own relationship with your gender. Not in an “everyone is trans” kind of way, but in a “there’s a lot of unexamined defaults we all live with” kind of way. A bunch of assumptions you’ve been holding about your own life and sexuality might be up for reconsideration, given how the person you love is changing. My wife and I have talked a lot and it’s been nice for both of us to compare notes.

We also made the conscious choice to treat this as good news and to communicate it as such when letting friends and family know. Which is not to say that navigating a relationship through transition is problem free, just that we wanted people’s first response to not be sympathy, so we tried to set the tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Yes.