Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Oh poo poo yall we back, things are weird because college hockey is always weird. Michigan can go gently caress themselves!

Denver won poo poo last year and are gonna give it a shot at running it back. Basically all the big Minnesota teams are monsters again! Michigan can go gently caress themselves! BU and BC have new head coaches!

:siren: RULE CHANGES :siren:

quote:

A change to the video review process: likely to be popular among everyone involved with college hockey after a series of lengthy video reviews defined the outcome of many NCAA tourney games last season. Coaches can formally issue a challenge in specific scenarios (similar to the NHL), including offside infractions and goaltender interference. An unsuccessful challenge will result in the loss of the team's timeout, and additional unsuccessful challenges thereafter will result in a two-minute penalty for delay of game.

Shootouts can break ties after a 3-on-3 overtime if the host school's conference uses shootouts in conference play

Officials can call a five-minute major for checking from behind or contact to the head, instead of an automatic game misconduct for those infractions. Officials will be able to (on video review) decide if a five-minute major can stand as such or if a game misconduct or game disqualification should be added to the call.

Faster games: 18-minute intermissions are no longer allowed. They must be 12 or 15 minutes.

The Pairwise was tweaked so that OT counts for 67 percent of a win, and 33 percent of a loss for the winning team, and vice-versa for the loser. This is a change from the previous 55/45 breakdown.

Lindenwood and Stonehill now have programs and begin this year. They along with LIU, Arizona State, SPACEBEAR, and Alaska-Anchorage are all independent this year. Robert Morris returns next year, and Augustana will kick off their program next year as well.

Get absolutely hosed, Michigan!

College hockey is terrible! Post about it here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
No more 18 minute intermissions?!?! But what about the 6 Toyota commercials!

I'm looking forward to seeing how a properly run team does in Arizona.

I'm also very much looking forward to this review change. Hopefully it helps avoid that garbage with the CCHA final last season, but somehow I doubt it.

Also gently caress Michigan.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I get that Weird poo poo always happens in the first week or two but holy poo poo Nebraska-Omaha just put up 7 on Minn-State :stare:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Arizona State took Duluth to overtime as well, so that’s a fun start too.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

On Wisconsin!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
hawks are back baby

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Teemu Pokemon posted:

hawks are back baby

What about Bethel?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

back to sucking poo poo!!!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

pac12 hockey conference when

https://twitter.com/chnews/status/1576999915397337088?t=EiScR3EAysmvogpBF4i3wA&s=19

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

New Pac12 commish George Kliavkoff coming to the board of directors or whoever the gently caress, giggling and clearly both drunk and stoned "okay so I know Larry Scott lost us literally billions of dollars, but what if we set even more money on fire?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

hamline also go a nittany lion

probably gonna see women's PSU/RIT in February because it was a hoot back in December 2019 and it'll be socially distanced by nature

okay see everyone in the 23-24 thread

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh man :(

CHN posted:

Merrimack assistant coach Josh Ciocco passed away suddenly last night. He was just 38 years old.

The Atco, N.J., native played four seasons at New Hampshire from 2003-07, scoring 22 goals and 55 points in 136 career games over four seasons. He was a captain his senior year, and the team qualified for the NCAA Tournament each year.

After a brief career in minor pro, Ciocco began a coaching career. His first stop in college hockey was as an assistant at Alaska-Anchorage from 2013-16. He went on to coach at Brown for two years before going to Merrimack.

Ciocco also did work as a television analyst before starting his coaching career.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

it is my distinct pleasure to announce that, the Miami University Redhawks Men's Ice Hockey Team, is, in fact, Back Baby

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Umass sweeping Denver and tying AIC is pretty good that's all I got

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Michigan, B10 people (scum) is Seamus Casey as legit as his stats/highlights are looking?

https://twitter.com/umichhockey/status/1581075606610972672

my boy is looking real good so far

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Michigan, B10 people (scum) is Seamus Casey as legit as his stats/highlights are looking?

https://twitter.com/umichhockey/status/1581075606610972672

my boy is looking real good so far

He's really good and has a good chance to showcase himself since so much of Michigan's offense left after last season. They're a suuuuuper young team this year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mostly still in non-conference play this weekend and St. Cloud vs. Minn State should be fantastic in a weekend series. NoDak plays Minnesota tomorrow too

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

the miami redhawks have swept an opponent for the first time since, poo poo i don't know, 2017?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

it is an absolute crying shame that Minny vs the Fighting [REDACTED] is not an annual, home-and away, series

gently caress off forever, Jim Delany and Terry Pegula

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Troy Queef posted:

it is an absolute crying shame that Minny vs the Fighting [REDACTED] is not an annual, home-and away, series

Absolutely correct. It was the best of yearly series and hotly contested. I've had more fun yelling and screaming at those games than any other games. The WCHA did eventually start getting too big when they added Bemidji and Nebraska Omaha, but before that it was some of the most consistently awesome hockey. Even the series against Alaska-Anchorage were fun. But with Minnesota, North Dakota, CC, Denver, Duluth, St Cloud, and Wisconsin you had just a ton of great hockey programs playing great series every year.

Who among us can't remember Blake Wheeler absolutely steeling it against ND?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrOVhSQQN0U

If you look really closely you can even see Dave Hakstol (you can't, but he was definitely there) and those series are why I can never support a Hakstol team. His tactics are still pretty close to the same!

Jhet fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Oct 24, 2022

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Troy Queef posted:

You can call us Nerds. we all know it is true.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Troy Queef posted:

Truth. Those games were an absolute joy to watch over the weekend.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

ladies and gentlemen

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

might i add:

:sickos:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Ugh, what an awful loss to Arizona State.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

PSU's schedule hasn't exactly been a murderer's row thus far but 8-0-0 is still a lot better of a start than I expected. Michigan this weekend might be the first real test. :getin:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh my god yeah that's a dogshit opening schedule

Granted not exactly Penn State's fault that Wisconsin's been in the dumpster for a bit now

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
The series against Penn State was some of the lowest hockey attendance in the history of the Kohl Center. I think all the cool students that were Crease Creatures moved on to volleyball.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

DJExile posted:

oh my god yeah that's a dogshit opening schedule

Granted not exactly Penn State's fault that Wisconsin's been in the dumpster for a bit now
Yeah I don't know how far out college hockey gets scheduled compared to like, football, but I wonder if programs ever look at their rosters and outlook and wish they could make adjustments for the sake of strength of schedule

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fifty Three posted:

Yeah I don't know how far out college hockey gets scheduled compared to like, football, but I wonder if programs ever look at their rosters and outlook and wish they could make adjustments for the sake of strength of schedule

Like most college sports you'll have guaranteed games set by the conference, and then the non-conference games that you get to schedule yourself. So some schools will have agreements for multiple year series (home one year, away the next) and some will just arrange games in the summer after they get the conference schedule too. The ADs and coaching staff will kind of know by then what they want. Conference games you get much less control over and will play everyone if possible.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

PSU splitting a home series against the No. 1 team last weekend: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

PSU facing the new No. 1 team away this weekend: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I wanted to be excited about UMASS for a little longer and then they got swept this past weekend so gently caress that I guess.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Fifty Three posted:

PSU splitting a home series against the No. 1 team last weekend: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

PSU facing the new No. 1 team away this weekend: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

There were 6 different teams who got first place votes this week (including Penn State!), I'd be surprised if any team stays in the top spot continuously for a month or longer with how this season has been playing out. Michigan/Minnesota/Penn State/OSU are all good enough that back to back tough weekends are going to be a lot more common in the Big Ten.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yep, and it's legitimately great.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Thankfully Wisconsin’s in the WCHA.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah there's always some weird poo poo in early rankings and I believe they've also tweaked how pairwise is calculated.

This also feels like the first time in a while, covid season notwithstanding, that the b1g has had conference games early on in the season. Felt like they always did a bunch of OOC games until like December.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

reports of miami's resurgance may have been premature

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DJExile posted:

yeah there's always some weird poo poo in early rankings and I believe they've also tweaked how pairwise is calculated.

This also feels like the first time in a while, covid season notwithstanding, that the b1g has had conference games early on in the season. Felt like they always did a bunch of OOC games until like December.

Pairwise is pretty useless until teams have actually played each other more. Right now it has a 5-3-1 Massachusetts team that's #8 in Hockey East winning the comparison against a whole bunch of teams you'd raise an eyebrow at. They've been getting trashed in conference games, but they beat Denver and Union in non-conference games and are getting a big boost from it. Meanwhile you get other teams playing tight and good hockey ranked below it because their non-conference schedule was difficult and they split the series.

I'm not a big fan of the pairwise to begin with, mostly because of the "quality win bonus" that they use. It doesn't balance out very well, but Mass gets extra points for beating Denver in the second weekend of games from that too, but then the wins are weighted less because it was at home. It's too much like throwing darts at a board and you get inflated numbers which influence other numbers even if you don't end up playing anyone in the Big10 all year, you can end up higher with a worse record because you beat someone in the NCHA a month ago.

But it gets even worse! If your win means your number would go down they just ignore it instead of fixing the system to pay attention to all the games. It should not even be possible to lose points in the standings and every win should be worth something instead of nothing. So if you have a relatively bad conference, instead of gaining points by beating your weak conference opponents, you get no benefit at all from those games. And if a bad team loses to a good team, its rating goes up while the good team doesn't get any ratings points from that game at all.

Incidentally, this could make it more difficult for new programs to find regular games and even a conference. What's the point in adding bad teams to your regular schedule if it's going to hurt your postseason potential?

tl;dr: If you want a ratings system that gives you a picture of the whole season, you need to be looking at the whole of the season with it and not modifying results heavily.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Pairwise has basically never really meant poo poo until like after the holidays. I almost kinda wish it wasn't published at all until like Jan. 1.

That "KRACH" system that I think gets posted to CollegeHockeyNews seems to do a little better with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Pairwise is 90% just RPI so until you have enough games played in total across the entire NCAA that opponents' opponents win percentage stabilizes (which is usually around at least half the conference games played), it's going to look crazy early.

Also, I think the Big Ten playing November conference games started a year or two ago, it's definitely nice to see a few series happen before the holiday tournaments.