Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

blackmongoose posted:

NHL teams can draft the rights to players while they're still in college, and then those players can stay in college as long as they want before going pro. Basically, a team can draft any 18-20 year old on it's draft pick, regardless of where they're playing.

"Normal" penalties are 2 minutes and end early if the team with the advantage scores, but really bad penalties like hitting a guy in the head are 5 minutes and last the full length no matter how many goals are scored. Don't hit people in extremely dangerous ways.

thanks. are college hockey players more likely to stay in college after being drafted than in other sports? and what would be the main reasons? you would think they would want to get paid ASAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Usually they wouldn't be playing for the pro team immediately, but for a minor league team for a year or two so might as well spend those years playing for a college team and develop there while also playing for your school and getting an education. In addition, some guys will come back for one more year even when they might be playing for a pro team immediately because they want to win a championship or are really good friends with their teammates or actually want to finish their degree. You'll generally notice that the "prestige" schools have younger rosters because they tend to have more drafted players who then leave after 1-2 years when they think they're NHL-ready and that often means that teams with players who are slightly less skilled but have been playing together for 3-4 years can play at the same level as them. Which makes the tournament quite fun usually!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Some do, some don't. The biggest current NHL star I can think of who returned to his college team after being drafted is Cale Makar of the Avs. He went back to UMass for his sophmore year after being drafted #4 overall, and won a national championship.

It's important to note, though, that the large majority of the drafted players would just be going to minor league affiliates of their NHL teams.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

College baseball is the same for being drafted but still in college. Play single A in bumfuck nowhere on go win at LSU with s bunch of coeds. Seems like an easy choice.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Have the Minnesota players been able to cash in NIL yet?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

habeasdorkus posted:

Some do, some don't. The biggest current NHL star I can think of who returned to his college team after being drafted is Cale Makar of the Avs. He went back to UMass for his sophomore year after being drafted #4 overall, and won a national championship.

It's important to note, though, that the large majority of the drafted players would just be going to minor league affiliates of their NHL teams.

Right now, for example, Michigan has Luke Hughes (#4 to New Jersey two seasons ago) who will sign with the Devils after three seasons at Michigan and Adam Fantilli (likely #2 overall pick this year) who will play one season at Michigan and immediately jump to the NHL after getting drafted.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

Have the Minnesota players been able to cash in NIL yet?

Most of them aren’t there long enough to cash in on it. The top line of Knies, Cooley, and Snuggerud isn’t even expected to be back next year. Though if I were Cooley I’d threaten to go back like Adam Fox did just to not have to play in Arizona. I’m surprised more elite college players don’t do it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

why aren't the top players able to go right into the pros from college like in basketball?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

actionjackson posted:

why aren't the top players able to go right into the pros from college like in basketball?

Some do. Tyler Kleven was playing at UND two weekends ago and the Senators just called him up yesterday and he's joining the team for the rest of the season.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

actionjackson posted:

They can. There’s just not as many who can make it physically when they’re 18. You can put on a lot of muscle playing juniors or college and the two extra years make it easier to adapt to the speed and physicality of the play in the NHL. And if you can’t manage it you end up playing either back in juniors if you’re sent down and Canadian or into the AHL.

Basketball doesn’t have all the development leagues like hockey either. It’s mostly just college -> pro with some more mid tier leagues mixed in some places.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Apparently every Big Ten team is aiming to win their game by 7 to represent the number of teams in the conference, let's see if Penn State can get one more to keep the streak going

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Well, that went poorly.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

extending the OSU football helm and sticker style to the hockey helmets was a terrible idea

god that's ugly

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Largest shutout in tourney history, sick

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

actionjackson posted:

extending the OSU football helm and sticker style to the hockey helmets was a terrible idea

god that's ugly

You should see their gymnastics team spandex. The stickers are very ugly.

It’s almost like all of the other conferences weren’t really as strong as they thought they were this year though. You’d think Michigan will be able to put up a touchdown on Colgate later still too. Penn State and Ohio State are the weakest of the four and someone got lucky that Michigan and Penn State are in the same regional.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Gooooooo Bobcats

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Roasted Donut posted:

Largest shutout in tourney history, sick

Could be one of the shortest lasting records ever at the rate Michigan is going

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

wow this is a lot of blowouts in the first round, maybe that's common

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

blackmongoose posted:

Could be one of the shortest lasting records ever at the rate Michigan is going

Colgate scored 1 somehow

And then Michigan immediately rage-scored 3 more

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Colgate scored 1 somehow

And then Michigan immediately rage-scored 3 more

Colgate took a butt-ending penalty. The sort of thing that almost never happens and Michigan took out their anger on the 5 min penalty. I very much dislike Michigan but even I wanted them to score one a minute after that garbage from Colgate.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Big ten just a wrecking crew in the first round.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Big ten just a wrecking crew in the first round.

please continue this tomorrow to destroy my college rival st cloud. Huskies are buttskis.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

BUG JUG posted:

please continue this tomorrow to destroy my college rival st cloud. Huskies are buttskis.

I'll just expand that to all things St Cloud, MN: "the Janesville of Minnesota"

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
St. Cloud, the place that kept sending Michele Bachmann to Congress. Easily the worst place in Minnesota.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I made the mistake of trying out Watch Hockey Get Drunk for the final period of PSU/MTU and hoo boy

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Fifty Three posted:

I made the mistake of trying out Watch Hockey Get Drunk for the final period of PSU/MTU and hoo boy

Those cards are set up to get you insanely drunk.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yeah we immediately implemented house rules/limitations to avoid death lol

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

habeasdorkus posted:

St. Cloud, the place that kept sending Michele Bachmann to Congress. Easily the worst place in Minnesota.

i dunno minnesota has a lot of bad cities lol

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

actionjackson posted:

i dunno minnesota has a lot of bad cities lol

Mankato, Winona and Duluth are pretty and Bemidji has lakes. Rochester is the tough one but it seems okay respectively.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i'm thinking smaller rural ones mainly that are 100% chuds

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

actionjackson posted:

i'm thinking smaller rural ones mainly that are 100% chuds

Those aren't cities

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

Those aren't cities

are you going on population? there are definitely some with several thousand people that would qualify as cities. anyway it doesn't matter, st cloud blows

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

actionjackson posted:

are you going on population? there are definitely some with several thousand people that would qualify as cities. anyway it doesn't matter, st cloud blows

I was just going off of general feel (mainly if the area still counts as "rural" then it's not dense enough to be a city) but I think you need like 50 thousand people to fit the literal definition of a city, which means using that we can confirm that St. Cloud is the worst city in Minnesota.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

IcePhoenix posted:

I was just going off of general feel (mainly if the area still counts as "rural" then it's not dense enough to be a city) but I think you need like 50 thousand people to fit the literal definition of a city, which means using that we can confirm that St. Cloud is the worst city in Minnesota.
Doesn't matter which threshold you use for "city", it's still St Paul. Thanks to the Tommies for making this ontopic

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Paracaidas posted:

Doesn't matter which threshold you use for "city", it's still St Paul. Thanks to the Tommies for making this ontopic

No suburbs please

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

No suburbs please

We aren’t talking about cake eaters today.

We’re talking about how the Gophers sent the Huskies back to the pit that’s called St. Cloud.

Go Gophers.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Bip Roberts posted:

No suburbs please
:golfclap:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

OSU getting chippy at the end of the 2nd lol

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

does hockey have a similar offsides rule to soccer, where whenever you received it there must be an opposing player beteween you and the goalie? doesn't seem like it

edit: also, if a player gets a five minute penalty, are they also ejected?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

actionjackson posted:

does hockey have a similar offsides rule to soccer, where whenever you received it there must be an opposing player beteween you and the goalie? doesn't seem like it

That's the blue line is for

You can't cross the blue line before the puck does, or that is offside