Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

davecrazy posted:

I was the engineer for the radio broadcast of every game (hockey and basketball) from 97-00 as they made the jump to D1. Got my heart ripped out twice. (gently caress Yale). This is the best loving feeling in the world.

From Northford Ice Pavillion to National Champions.

I remember that era. They lost to UND by half a dozen every year for a while. Who was the white guy with brunette dreadlocks? To be honest it may have just been really long hair and(?) beard, but I remember my buddy making Chewbacca noises for an entire game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
https://twitter.com/USCHO/status/1646562263472406539?t=v_SvYF2ZcrAk8byhLiJDtw&s=19

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Should we just recycle this thread for '23/'24? Seems like a thread with just 6 pages could be renamed and carry on being a place for the six of us to post about this stupid sport.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Stitecin posted:

Should we just recycle this thread for '23/'24? Seems like a thread with just 6 pages could be renamed and carry on being a place for the six of us to post about this stupid sport.

If you (or someone) really wants to blast out a good op if not let's keep it running. It'll be fun in 5 years to click 18 pages back to read what happened long ago.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Gonna claim my place here for the new year: gently caress BU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Stitecin posted:

It does seem a little like playing prevent hockey for a whole third period of a national championship game, but no one in here would do that.

(Same thread is probably fine.)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BG opens the preseason with a hazing scandal getting 3 players and the coach suspended pending investigation so we’re off to a rollicking start

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
How about some good college hockey news.

Arizona State is joining the NCHC next year so they can loose more frequently to Minnesota and Colorado schools (and North Dakota).

Augustana is in their first D1 season and I’m guessing they’ll do about as well as St Thomas did last year.

Tennessee State is thinking about a D1 program.

Minnesota has a bunch of new freshman coming in from… nope pretty much all from the state of Minnesota still. Only two guys that aren’t are goalies from Canada. Also Darby Hendrickson’s kid Beckett is committed for 2024. Hopefully he too can crush the dreams of the Vancouver Canucks someday.

I expect Michigan‘s roster has turned over similarly.

Hopefully Wisconsin is still terrible even with Mike Hastings running the program. Mankato State is now likely to be not nearly as good.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jhet posted:

How about some good college hockey news.

Arizona State is joining the NCHC next year so they can loose more frequently to Minnesota and Colorado schools (and North Dakota).

Augustana is in their first D1 season and I’m guessing they’ll do about as well as St Thomas did last year.

Tennessee State is thinking about a D1 program.

Minnesota has a bunch of new freshman coming in from… nope pretty much all from the state of Minnesota still. Only two guys that aren’t are goalies from Canada. Also Darby Hendrickson’s kid Beckett is committed for 2024. Hopefully he too can crush the dreams of the Vancouver Canucks someday.

I expect Michigan‘s roster has turned over similarly.

Hopefully Wisconsin is still terrible even with Mike Hastings running the program. Mankato State is now likely to be not nearly as good.

EXCUSE ME?

We are not terrible; we're the reigning national champions :colbert:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

iospace posted:

EXCUSE ME?

We are not terrible; we're the reigning national champions :colbert:

I didn’t say anything about Quinnipiac in that post.

Unless you’re talking the Wisconsin women’s program? In which case, well played. They were really good last year. I’m sure the Gophers will be right back at it this year.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
So North Dakota turned over 100% of the Defensive corps, but between incoming freshmen and the transfer portal they are looking solid.

Denver is the run away preseason poll #1, but other than Miami being trash the NCHC is really strong at #2-7. All of those teams look pretty even. Look for the NCHC to be very competitive and strong against nonconference opponents.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
this is the year merrimack goes undefeated. lock it in

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
https://x.com/theblockm/status/1707835566237065558?s=20
apparently the rules violation was painting a swastika on a jewish resource center on campus

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hockey's back, yall :toot:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
gently caress a Badger! Go UND

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

wandler20 posted:

gently caress a Badger!

:hmmyes:

:hmmno:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wandler20 posted:

gently caress a Badger! Go UND

:wrong:

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Pretty stoked for this weekend! Gopher Sioux weekend used to be an unofficial holiday in Grand Forks.

Student tickets were free and first come first served, so no one (who liked hockey) went to class in the afternoon and the pre-party line started noonish.

If UND's (entirely new) D can show up like they did against Wisconsin it could be a sweep. Go UND!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Stitecin posted:

Pretty stoked for this weekend! Gopher Sioux weekend used to be an unofficial holiday in Grand Forks.

Student tickets were free and first come first served, so no one (who liked hockey) went to class in the afternoon and the pre-party line started noonish.

If UND's (entirely new) D can show up like they did against Wisconsin it could be a sweep. Go UND!

Wisconsin was not very good last year and they have a new coach.

Gophers are going to be a much larger challenge (until they play a prevent structure in the third and give up the national championship no I’m not bitter please stop bringing it up).

Those were always the barn burner games in my time at Minnesota too. Needs to be a yearly contest forever.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jhet posted:

Wisconsin was not very good last year and they have a new coach.

Gophers are going to be a much larger challenge (until they play a prevent structure in the third and give up the national championship no I’m not bitter please stop bringing it up).

Those were always the barn burner games in my time at Minnesota too. Needs to be a yearly contest forever.

Excuse me? We won the national championship last year :colbert:

(Yes I will run this gimmick into the ground)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

iospace posted:

Excuse me? We won the national championship last year :colbert:

(Yes I will run this gimmick into the ground)

You should, because the men’s team isn’t going to win anything for a while.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I think the Wisconsin men's team will be better this year than you guys seem to. Hastings brought three players with him, and last year Wisconsin was a team of solid talent playing badly.

I don't think they're going deep into the tournament or anything like that, but I think wins against them will help your pairwise and they'll maybe be sporadically ranked throughout the season.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Stitecin posted:

I think the Wisconsin men's team will be better this year than you guys seem to. Hastings brought three players with him, and last year Wisconsin was a team of solid talent playing badly.

I don't think they're going deep into the tournament or anything like that, but I think wins against them will help your pairwise and they'll maybe be sporadically ranked throughout the season.

No, you're very right. Hastings was a great hire, and I expect by December they'll be a difficult weekend. Plenty of uncertainty still, lots of new players replacing some really good talent in the conference too.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
A new coach at Wisconsin trying to get some juice back in the men's hockey program couldn't have picked a better initial season than "beer is now sold to all sections at the Kohl Center."

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Stupid Gophers. UND playing like rear end in the second period.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
Number 14 Wisconsin taking down the Gophers, and UND shelling the Mavericks is a great start to a weekend!

Go UND. Go Whoever is playing the Gophers!

Also, not college hockey related, but you guys should watch the Rugby World Cup championship game today at 2:00pm central. South Africa is favored over New Zealand and should be an awesome game.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
The Saturday UND game was a bit frustrating as they didn't really seem to start playing hard until the third and drat near lost the game. The Mavs goalie made some clutch saves in the third and UND was lucky to get away with a tie.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

bowling green quietly reinstated Ty Eigner on the 18th, and have started the year splitting the series with Bobby Mo, who literally didn't exist for 2 years, getting swept by Augustana, who literally didn't exist AT ALL until this year, and getting swept by Western Mich.

Great start, boys!

E: lmao oh you just know this is gonna end well when the AD's now watching every move.

CHN posted:

Bowling Green University officials, following an investigation into hazing allegations within the men's hockey program, said today that head coach Ty Eigner has been reinstated, and is back with the team.

Eigner had been on administrative leave since the investigation began and missed the team's first four games. Assistant coach Curtis Carr was the interim head coach in Eigner's absence.

According to the statement, the status of suspended players is still being evaluated. "The student conduct process is ongoing and no final determination of responsibility has been made," the statement said.

The University hired an external investigator to determine whether there were violations of the school's Code of Conduct. The findings concluded that there was:

- Underage drinking and provision of alcohol to those underage by older members of the BGSU Hockey Team

- Conduct with the potential to cause humiliation, physical harm or emotional harm

Multiple players were suspended to start the season, though those players were not specifically named. And the team's leading scorer, Austen Swankler, decided to go into the transfer portal, landing at Michigan Tech.

Swankler later took to X (formerly known as Twitter) to deny "rumors," as he put it, that he had stolen equipment, and said that he was the victim of hazing in the past, though it wasn't clear if he was referring to this incident or if he was suggesting he was a whistle-blower for this alleged incident.

The Bowling Green Police Department investigated and found nothing to warrant pursuing charges.

In regards to Eigner and the rest of the coaching staff, the report "suggests that no member of the BGSU Hockey staff had any direct or indirect knowledge of the off-campus event," the statement said. "However, because of this incident, BGSU has instituted additional measures for the remainder of this season. Derek van der Merwe, director of athletics, will now assume additional oversight of the hockey program, the coaching staff will now receive additional employment trainings and the University has increased its day-to-day monitoring to ensure the program is supported."

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 30, 2023

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I've been spoiled by UNDs coverage so far this year. Boston's presentation on ESPN+ is so bad. Feels like I'm watching high school. I do appreciate the Boston accents tho.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

wandler20 posted:

I've been spoiled by UNDs coverage so far this year. Boston's presentation on ESPN+ is so bad. Feels like I'm watching high school. I do appreciate the Boston accents tho.

Almost everyone’s is. ESPN+ is almost always local contracted producers/workers, or college students themselves. Talent is a mix of locals or remote studio broadcasts. ESPN does not care at all about the product they dump onto E+.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DJExile posted:

Almost everyone’s is. ESPN+ is almost always local contracted producers/workers, or college students themselves. Talent is a mix of locals or remote studio broadcasts. ESPN does not care at all about the product they dump onto E+.

It amazes me that they televise these things.

Coming from the former WCHA most of the teams had some sort of professional broadcast.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I'm headed to AMSoil on Saturday to hopefully see UND batter the Bulldogs. It'll be my 5 year old's and my wife's first college hockey game, and the loud sea of green should be a perfect intro. I love a North Dakota crowd.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Stitecin posted:

I'm headed to AMSoil on Saturday to hopefully see UND batter the Bulldogs. It'll be my 5 year old's and my wife's first college hockey game, and the loud sea of green should be a perfect intro. I love a North Dakota crowd.

Hell yeah enjoy the poo poo out of that

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Stitecin posted:

Awesome! Started out great but they kinda let up. Good to win the first conference game. Hope you guys had a good time.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I realize they haven’t played a murderer’s row of teams but hot drat I would not have expected Maine to be off to a 7-1 start

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Seems odd that Cornell has only just reached 5 games played. Is that the case for all the Ivys?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
This was filthy:

https://twitter.com/UNDmhockey/status/1723510165775814674?t=vRxJwUc2Gvl_HkUIvhBHrg&s=19

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

Jhet posted:

...the (Wisconsin) men’s team isn’t going to win anything for a while.

This didn't age well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Stitecin posted:

This didn't age well.

Idk, try again in April.

Both Michigan and Minnesota lost top lines and d pairs, but are right back there at 6 and 12. Ask Penn State how the early season turned out when it came time to win trophies. I’d guess they’re playing better than that, but it’s a long season and I haven’t had a chance to watch much college hockey yet this year. I’d still put it to year 3 of Hastings before the program is really solid again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
UND should be #1 since they beat Wisconsin. Not that it really matters at this point.