Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah honestly those polls don’t matter for poo poo until at least like mid December

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
It’s already one of the three best Badger men’s hockey seasons in the last decade.

Not “so far.“ Aside from the 13-14 and 20-21 teams that lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament, you can pretty comfortably say “sweep at Minnesota” and that’s already better than a lot of the recent Badger seasons.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
UND about to be #1. Dominated a Miami team that they should have.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
What a comeback by UND! Down 4 -1 in the first and 5-3 after 2 and win 7-5.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Canadian university Simon Fraser is considering joining NCAA D-1 hockey next year and has scheduled a bunch of teams this season as a sort of dry run

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Pathetic weekend of hockey from UND this weekend.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Umass making the tournament 4 times in 5 years is pretty incredible (by .0004 this year lol), even if this year's team looks a bit fodderish. Cool that they get to play in Springfield this year, too.

Carvel seems to love it in Amherst but man I wonder how long they'll be able to keep him

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Michigan Tech with a nice run to get into the tourney.

Since it is hockey, anything can happen now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BG still bad!!!

gently caress it, go get 'em, nerds

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

T-Bone posted:

Umass making the tournament 4 times in 5 years is pretty incredible (by .0004 this year lol), even if this year's team looks a bit fodderish. Cool that they get to play in Springfield this year, too.

Carvel seems to love it in Amherst but man I wonder how long they'll be able to keep him

I'm really enjoying this run for UMass. It's nice to have an alma mater that's won a natty in recent memory! You hear that Minnesota? No, not you, women's Gophers, you're cool, even if it has been a whole 8 years since the last title at this point. I was talking to the goobers who get to play in the bigger and fancier arena next door to you despite not winning jack or poo poo in more than 20 years.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

I'm really enjoying this run for UMass. It's nice to have an alma mater that's won a natty in recent memory! You hear that Minnesota? No, not you, women's Gophers, you're cool, even if it has been a whole 8 years since the last title at this point. I was talking to the goobers who get to play in the bigger and fancier arena next door to you despite not winning jack or poo poo in more than 20 years.

You’re right. It’s been too long for either one to win the National Championship. I blame the Big10.

Surely they can’t lose to Omaha (unless they play like they did against Michigan). They’re clearly not as good as they were last year, but that means they’ll play better right. Right?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

T-Bone posted:

Technically his contract is up in 2 years but lol if they let him walk. He's only gonna go when he wants to and, honestly, unless something major happens the school would be stupid to let him go cheap. They were at least smart enough to know he deserves more than football/basketball last time around anyways.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

UMass football is reliably in the top 10... of the Sickos CFP ranking. We shoulda stayed in the FCS.

Jhet posted:

They’re clearly not as good as they were last year, but that means they’ll play better right. Right?

Right?!

Maybe I'll take an early afternoon and try to go to the UMass game on Thursday.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

This absolutely feels like the kind of idiotic team that can just get hot and go a couple rounds. My in-laws are gonna be at the game Thursday, I hope I'm right for their sake lol.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
UMass getting in over CC was a joke. Denver kinda got screwed not getting the Sioux Falls region and will now basically have all road games.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Go Tigers gently caress the Terriers

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's so refreshing to see a national tournament where Providence isn't getting a hysterically undeserved home regional as a 4 seed and now instead they give that to UMass just to keep up traditions.

I know that's in large part because they also push like hell to not have conference opponents in opening rounds, and they're likely going to stomp the poo poo out of Umass and whomever wins Maine/Cornell but god drat this sucks for Denver. Just put these on campus sites for gently caress's sake.

wandler20 posted:

UMass getting in over CC was a joke.

This was thanks to Denver beating Omaha in the final regular season game. Omaha winning would've put CC over UMass.

EDIT: LMFAO WHAT THE HELL IS THIS MISSOURI REGIONAL

CHN posted:

1. Michigan State (24-9-3) vs. 4. Western Michigan (21-15-1), Friday, 4 p.m. CT, ESPN-U
2. North Dakota (26-11-2) vs. 3. Michigan (21-14-3), Friday, 7:30 CT, ESPN-U
Regional Final, Sunday, 5:30 p.m. CT, ESPN-U

This is being called The Region of Doom because of how big names like North Dakota and Michigan jump out at you on paper. But looking at it logically, this is the most "fair" matchups, all things considered. When you make a change to one place to try to be more fair, you make another change somewhere else that could be less fair. It's hard to get it all perfect. Technically, North Dakota dropped to 6th overall, so Michigan State is theoretically getting a break not getting the 5th overall here (Maine). Michigan at 10 couldn't play Minnesota at 7 because they are in the same conference, so that had to be swapped. And North Dakota at 6 couldn't play 11 Omaha. So the simple swap of 10/11 was also logical.

When the puck drops, it all doesn't matter.

Perhaps more of an issue is that the venue — Centene Ice Center — only holds 2,500 people. They may be able to shoehorn 3,000 in. This is unfortunate, given that you have numerous fan bases here that travel well and could easily fill a much larger venue. But the series of steps that got us here, were logical given the current procedures. The venue was awarded this Regional over four years ago. There were few other bidders for Regionals in this part of the country. And when there are buildings in this area, they are often at arenas that are too big, and people complain about terrible atmospheres with empty seats. So, it was awarded to Centene Ice Center. Nothing could be done about that now.

Could the North Dakota/Michigan matchup have been moved elsewhere? Yes, but where? Providence makes no sense to break up with 1/6/8/9 symmetry. It can't be Sioux Falls because of aforementioned matchup issues, and Omaha needing to be host there. So Springfield was the only other option, but that comes with moving two Eastern schools away from a spot within driving distance to their campuses.

So here we are.

I realize you were never gonna put regional games in whatever the Blues arena is called now but holy gently caress how was this puny rear end muni barn the only other choice

E: oh my god they have an outdoor rink. I'm back on board, this owns. Please do the games at that one please please please

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 27, 2024

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Amazing. So good. Outside hockey time.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
another season, another dogshit miami team ho hum

habeasdorkus posted:

UMass football is reliably in the top 10... of the Sickos CFP ranking. We shoulda stayed in the FCS.

welcome back to the mac bitch

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Go! Go U! Go! U! Mass! Go UMass!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Honestly not sure what that penalty was at the end of the first period against UMass, I could see it very clearly from my seat and it looked like a good hip check both live and on the replay. Hit from behind or defenseless player or something? Good pk tho.

e: they called that boarding?! Eat my entire, sweaty rear end, ref.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 28, 2024

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lmao I didn't even realize BG fired Eigner 2 whole rear end weeks ago until just now

CHN posted:

Bowling Green is finalizing a deal with Dennis Williams to become the program's next head coach, sources tell College Hockey News.

Williams, 44, is a Bowling Green alum. He was also an assistant coach and interim head coach of the Falcons from 2009 to 10.

After Bowling Green hired Chris Bergeron, Williams became the head coach of the Amarillo Bulls (NAHL). He became the general manager and head coach of the Bloomington Thunder in the USHL and has been the head coach of the Everett Silvertips in the WHL since 2017. Williams was also the head coach of Team Canada's World Junior team in 2022-23.

Williams was a forward at Bowling Green from 1997-01. He replaces Ty Eigner, who the university fired earlier this month.

Williams was under investigation by the U.S. Center for Safesport last season after complaints were made by an unnamed player and the team's equipment manager. Two separate investigations cleared him of wrongdoing, according to The Herald.

I uh... sure!

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
umass ties it at 1 :woop:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

At least 95% sure the Denver goalie's family is sitting in front of me. Gonna make sure they hear me call their son a sieve if he gives up another goal.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

At least 95% sure the Denver goalie's family is sitting in front of me. Gonna make sure they hear me call their son a sieve if he gives up another goal.

Lols.

I was working an adult league game one night and there was a single person in the stands. This guy comes over before the game and apologizes for how annoying his mom's chirping is going to be.

At least you're in a slightly more full rink, but there are a lot of empty seats for what's near enough to a home game for the #4 (16) team.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Tickets were 55 bucks for the second level, and you had to buy for both games. UMass should have bought up seats and bussed down students, it's not like we're good at any other sport.

E: that is, they sold one ticket for both games, Rather than separate tickets for each game. And Maine and Cornell aren't that far away, so you'll see a different half of the seats filled in game two.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 28, 2024

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Let's loving go extra hockey. Go UMass, gently caress a Pioneer.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

Tickets were 55 bucks for the second level, and you had to buy for both games. UMass should have bought up seats and bussed down students, it's not like we're good at any other sport.

E: that is, they sold one ticket for both games, Rather than separate tickets for each game. And Maine and Cornell aren't that far away, so you'll see a different half of the seats filled in game two.

That makes sense and is also crap. I want to be able to leave in between games, but then you get overtime in this one anyway.

It's only the bottom bowl that I can see on the broadcast.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Lmfao how did they gently caress the scheduling up so bad. I didn't realize they needed an hour between games. Why wouldn't you plan for OT, etc, etc.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Double overtime motherfuckers. Pretty sure the Denver goalie's family is ignoring me because i said I didn't realize their son was Domenic Hasek and they didn't flinch.

If UMass loses I will be sad for a very short period of time and then very happy for this team to take Denver to the brink

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Jhet posted:

That makes sense and is also crap. I want to be able to leave in between games, but then you get overtime in this one anyway.

It's only the bottom bowl that I can see on the broadcast.

It's like 90%+ full now that all the Cornell and Maine fans have arrived for their game. They should have poisoned for one OT, but two I'm not going to hold against them.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

habeasdorkus posted:

Double overtime motherfuckers. Pretty sure the Denver goalie's family is ignoring me because i said I didn't realize their son was Domenic Hasek and they didn't flinch.

If UMass loses I will be sad for a very short period of time and then very happy for this team to take Denver to the brink

They should have won that game 4-5 different times in the 2OT. Just couldn't get the puck through.

No Interference at the end though, he's outside and pushed into the goalie by his defender.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
not looking forward to how tired DU is gonna be on Saturday but whoooo go Pios get number ten this year!!

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Not the result I wanted but they definitely made Denver sweat for it. I doubt we'll see another game be that much of a grind. Lots to look forward to.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

It was a great game, happiest I've been after an OT loss since losing in triple OT to Maine in the Bean Pot in 2003.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Sad Tiger noises :(

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Minnesota is down 1-0, come on Omaha.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
MTU has gotten the benefit of 3 really questionable no calls, even the minor that got called in the first could have been a penalty shot

E: the refs also blew the call on the 5 minute major the other way to be fair

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Oh wow, BC cleared the puck from their own blue line, it went off the stanchion, into the ref, into the net

Initially called a goal, but apparently they can call that not a goal?

Thats the right result, would have been a bullshit goal, but never seen anything like that that and didn’t know that was a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Then they don’t immediately wave off this puck that goes in off the referee’s butt? Why did they even call that a goal.

I don’t care that the announcers had never heard about that rule, it’s been there for years now.