Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I remember my dad taking my brother and I to a Dunkin and they had a window you could look through inside to see the people actually making the donuts.

My wife loves the peanutty donuts which I guess aren't popular at the big donut chains or aren't carried anymore due to allergies or something.

And I would posit that the first and second donuts eaten in a serving will never be bad, but as you move on to the third or fourth, your stomach rebels and the fifth or sixth donut will always be bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What kinda sicko takes more than 1 (one) donut?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
6 Dunkin Donuts is like an entire day's worth of calories. I think that might be part of the problem.

dot communist
Mar 28, 2005

Chinatown posted:

yeah ive had krispy kreme before OP

This. Krispy Kreme is loving gross. Way too sweet and no actual donut flavor. Literally every other donut place I've been to is better than Krispy Kreme.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

FYI, Dunkin Donuts is now just called "Dunkin". Most stores have had the facelift but not all.

Noone in the target market even noticed because they've been calling it "dunkin" for like 20 years+. It was likely a collosal waste of money and also likely why they make lovely doughnuts (and bagels etc) now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBumiz7YwPE

For a while they were going to change the name from Munchkins to something less offensive - apparently they decided not to go all the way and now they are Munchkins Donut Holes which is a mouthful for such a small piece of fried dough.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Chinatown posted:

yeah ive had krispy kreme before OP

Came to say this, slimy rear end gross donuts.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

I've had bad doughnuts, but I specifically have never had a bad blueberry doughnut.

I've had one that tasted like it was accidentally dropped back into the fryer, tasted like it was weighed down with something that actually detracted from the flavor. The reason it stood out so obviously is because the blueberry cake doughnuts were never bad, even the same-day old ones.

Support your local doughnut places. I wish there was a 24-hour one around here, but there's not enough overnight economy to support it.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

boston creme donuts are terrible. the fruit center ones too. anything with centers. i hate centers

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
You can tell from my girth I’ve had many good donuts, which means I’ve also had many bad donuts

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
My answer is no I have never had a bad donut

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

people have already said donuts in britain are poo poo and they're right, most of them suck here. especially the supermarket ones that people seem to go on about, they're always soggy and dense in an unenjoyable way.

the only place I can get a good donut is at some local independent bakeries. they do good fudge/custard filled donuts and good simple iced ring donuts.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Cake doughnuts are loving gross. You need yeast to get in this beast. It's also easy for them to be too sweet. I wasn't in love with Voodoo Doughnuts when I tried them because somehow they took a treat that is mostly sugar and made it too sweet. I like marzipan, how can you make something too sweet for me?

You need to get Cambodian doughnuts. Just a little mom and pop shop run by an older couple with a ten-thousand yard stare and a fryer in the back with little pink boxes.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dunkin is trash, they started using alcohol sugars because they are lower in calories than nearly any other sugar substitute, and it completely hosed the flavor of basically all their donuts

I happen to live very close to a real good indy donut place, so if i ever want one(rare), i’ll go to Beach Donuts

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Overcooked apple fritter that tasted like old oil

It was from a typically reliable donut place too so double the betrayal :(

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I used to like those cinnamon cake donuts, I'd dunk them into milk tea or coffee.

e: Woah easy with the knife there Kit

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

no pubes yet sorry posted:

FYI, Dunkin Donuts is now just called "Dunkin". Most stores have had the facelift but not all.

Noone in the target market even noticed because they've been calling it "dunkin" for like 20 years+. It was likely a collosal waste of money and also likely why they make lovely doughnuts (and bagels etc) now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBumiz7YwPE

For a while they were going to change the name from Munchkins to something less offensive - apparently they decided not to go all the way and now they are Munchkins Donut Holes which is a mouthful for such a small piece of fried dough.

They’re working on shortening it even more to just “DNKN”

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

2nd Amendment posted:

You need to get Cambodian doughnuts. Just a little mom and pop shop run by an older couple with a ten-thousand yard stare and a fryer in the back with little pink boxes.

:emptyquote:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

we’ve heard a lot about bad donuts, but how many have experienced a bad hole?

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

we’ve heard a lot about bad donuts, but how many have experienced a bad hole?

ask you're mom

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I was babysat for a large part of my childhood by friends of the family who ran a Mexican bakery. This was cool, as I got to help out in the store and eat lots of delicious Mexican breads and pastries as a kid for free.

Conchas though are the point of this because I cannot imagine why anyone buys them. It's a donut shaped thing that is baked and not fried. And it has some kind of topping made of cinnamon sugar.

But don't be fooled. This may look soft, it is not. It may look sweet, it is not. They are crusty, bland, stale hockey pucks of flour and yeast that trick you into thinking its a treat. The pigeons did not even eat them. Buy Cream cheese Chamucos instead

The dreaded Conchas

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
Yes. Many times.

I have been incredibly unlucky when it comes to any kind of donut that's supposed to have some kind of filling in it, to the point that I'm starting to think I was cursed by a baker in a past life. 9 times out of 10, if I get a jelly donut, there won't be any jelly inside, just dough. Sure, it'll have the little bit of jelly where the hole supposedly is, but that's it; no pocket of jelly inside. This has happened to me over and over again.

Coworkers thought that I was making it up until they brought in a box of jelly donuts. All theirs were filled with jelly, mine only with disappointment.

Apple fritters are like this for me, too. I'll either have no apple bits in them, or like one piece that still has a dried-up hard piece of skin on it.

I wish I was making this up, but it's actually kind of funny, to the point where friends and coworkers actually applaud if I get a normal-rear end donut.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

PinheadSlim posted:

These suck a fat one imo

:hmmyes: Just foul. Especially the chocolate-covered ones that taste stale 100% of the time.

owls or something posted:

I don't like the way Krispy Kreme donuts make my mouth feel. It's like eating a cake made of lard.

That is a disturbingly accurate description. :gonk:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I hate when i think I'm getting a creme donut and it ends up being jelly filled. It makes me feel like i got a bad batch at first then I'm like "oh it's loving jelly"

Everybody hatin on krispy kreme but their chocolate cake donuts are great. Favorite type of donut for me by far.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

A Strange Aeon posted:

And I would posit that the first and second donuts eaten in a serving will never be bad, but as you move on to the third or fourth, your stomach rebels and the fifth or sixth donut will always be bad.

Hey fatso, you eat ONE donut.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Bad donuts are edible but even good biscotti are disgusting garbage for idiots

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Oh yeah, I've never had a gas station donut and I never will.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

TengenNewsEditor posted:

ask you're mom

:confused:

she said she’s never had a bad hole

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I dunno, doughnuts are cop food; I dont hang with cops.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

Mr. Meagles posted:

I was babysat for a large part of my childhood by friends of the family who ran a Mexican bakery. This was cool, as I got to help out in the store and eat lots of delicious Mexican breads and pastries as a kid for free.

Conchas though are the point of this because I cannot imagine why anyone buys them. It's a donut shaped thing that is baked and not fried. And it has some kind of topping made of cinnamon sugar.

But don't be fooled. This may look soft, it is not. It may look sweet, it is not. They are crusty, bland, stale hockey pucks of flour and yeast that trick you into thinking its a treat. The pigeons did not even eat them. Buy Cream cheese Chamucos instead

The dreaded Conchas

Excuse you, I loving love Bimbo conchas

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Some of Many Doughuts I seen and Ate
  • The cronuts made by the metal head baker kid at the shop-rite I once worked at
  • the cider donuts from the cider mill where I used to live
  • the blue sky donuts from the hipster donut shop where they gave the donuts to Jesse from breaking bad
  • hot donuts from Krispy Kreme or bess Eaton donuts
  • the very good pudding(?) filled "cinnabon" donuts from taco bell
  • an Entenmann's choc covered or the crumb top, fresh from the freezer w a glass of milk
  • the super amazing blueberry/cherry cake donuts from down the road. yes a cake donut that is actually good with the crispy exterior
  • The beignets from Popeyes (seen but not eaten)

Thank you for reading this list! Happy donuhgt hunting ~ ; )

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Had a voodoo donut with cereal on it that was complete rear end. I know gimmicky donuts are their thing, but ignoring the stale cereal on the top, the donut itself was dry and over fried. Don't know why people like that place so much.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Quote is not edit

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010
99% of all donuts fall right in the middle of that spectrum... there are only a few really bad and a few really good outliers

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

amaguri posted:

99% of all donuts fall right in the middle of that spectrum... there are only a few really bad and a few really good outliers

this sounds like quantization error, you need better resolution on your quality metric

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Had a couple bagged sugar donuts from Wawa yesterday and they were delicious, but they were the first gas station garbage food I’ve had since the hurricane.

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

A good doughnut is a malassada:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mistle posted:

I've had one that tasted like it was accidentally dropped back into the fryer, tasted like it was weighed down with something that actually detracted from the flavor. The reason it stood out so obviously is because the blueberry cake doughnuts were never bad, even the same-day old ones.

Support your local doughnut places. I wish there was a 24-hour one around here, but there's not enough overnight economy to support it.

Isn't that just the weirdest loving thing? If I ever had a bad blueberry doughnut, I would 100% remember it.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Australian supermarket donuts are so bad they make Krispy Kreme good by comparison

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bargearse posted:

Australian supermarket donuts are so bad they make Krispy Kreme good by comparison

Woof. You have my sympathies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

no pubes yet sorry posted:

They can gently caress right off with this and the marketing firm they rode in on. Call Dunkin Donuts whatever you want. (It's D&D)