Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I don't like cake donuts

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i like those little chinese donuts that some places got up front

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
There were places in my home town that put children's breakfast cereal on top of their doughnuts and then charged outrageous prices. They tasted terrible and cut up the roof of your mouth.

Grab Im Moor
Apr 4, 2022

Some years ago I was working in a warehouse that was located right next to a Dunkin Donuts factory and we got plenty of bad donuts for free. They had like wonky frosting, no or too little fillings, were defective, or day old leftovers that went a little dry and/or had a little bit of that old fat taste. Donuts deemed unfit for selling but technically still edible. Here & there a fly died on one so you had to watch out for that stuff.

Grab Im Moor fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 5, 2022

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

British seaside doughnuts poo poo all over the American kind

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I dunno why they don't just mark down old food for the last hour of business. Us cheap folk would clear them out. Grocery store sandwiches, bakery stuff, etc. Some places it gets donated but a lot of places just chuck it. Bruh I will buy your slightly stale day old sandwiches for a buck every time.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I once walked up to a Blue Star Donuts just after they closed up and the guy working there ran up to the door and gave me a free six pack of random doughnuts.

He was probably just a nice dude and getting rid EOD stuff, but I like to think it's because I'm incredibly hot.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
he thought you were a homeless beggar

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
That would only increase my opinion of him.
Rock on, doughnut dude.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Charles Bukowski posted:

I dunno why they don't just mark down old food for the last hour of business. Us cheap folk would clear them out. Grocery store sandwiches, bakery stuff, etc. Some places it gets donated but a lot of places just chuck it. Bruh I will buy your slightly stale day old sandwiches for a buck every time.

A lot of places do this

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

Charles Bukowski posted:

I like those old fashioned sour cream donuts you can get from convenience stores.

sour cream donuts are absolutely the best donut, but the only places that make them around here are grocery store bakeries, none of the donut shops do. It's very strange. They're so good with coffee. yeah all donuts are, but these especially.

There's not a lot of mom and pop donut stores here around Austin, it's all shipleys. There's a place downtown called Gordough's that has those giant hipster donuts with poo poo on them like fried chicken or bacon or whatever. They're ok like once every couple of years, but I honestly just want a little bag of donut holes.

I dunno if I've had a bad donut, but I've had ones I couldn't finish because they were just too sweet or too huge (gordoughs)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

Excuse you, I loving love Bimbo conchas

I, too, love me a bimbo's concha.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you never had a bad donut you might be the bad donut

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Das Boo posted:

I once walked up to a Blue Star Donuts just after they closed up and the guy working there ran up to the door and gave me a free six pack of random doughnuts.

He was probably just a nice dude and getting rid EOD stuff, but I like to think it's because I'm incredibly hot.

in college i had some friends who would do this once a week or so by just taking the trash bag of old donuts out of the dumpster after midnight

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Oh the kind of irresponsible things I could do with entire bags of donuts.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

poverty goat posted:

in college i had some friends who would do this once a week or so by just taking the trash bag of old donuts out of the dumpster after midnight

there was a thread years ago on these very forums about dumpster diving for like, old odwalla juices and expired muffins and poo poo from the backs of starbucks at night

people did this for some reason? I don't know but something tells me that 15 years later they still aren't stealing garbage from a dumpster like raccoons at 2AM

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
there was a time in my life where I'd buy a 14 dollar sicilian pizza with my roommate and make it last 3 days, eating nothing else. I still never considered dumpster diving.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
:devil:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

there was a time in my life where I'd buy a 14 dollar sicilian pizza with my roommate and make it last 3 days, eating nothing else. I still never considered dumpster diving.

in my experience almost everyone who passes through a freshman dorm's common area at 2am is ready and willing to eat dumpster donuts from a trash bag

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Chrs posted:

I choose to believe there is a whole eel wrapped inside.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Today I learned Dunkin's French Crullers are glazed with candle wax and earwig honey, and that is why they are so good!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
You misheard, it's actually earwax and candle honey

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I bought a 4-pack of tiny donuts from the mini-mart down the street that this cute Korean family owns.

They weren't Hostess, they were Krispy Kreme. I would have got Hostess if they had them because I don't prefer Krispy Kreme over anything. Anyway, chocolate.

I was longboarding, so I'm focusing on the terrain and obstacles and what not. I pop open the donuts and start chomping on them and they don't taste great, which doesn't surprise me because it's Krispy Kreme, but these were a bit stale. I take a couple glances down and they seem alright to the eye. I finished the one I was eating.

I got home and took one out and upon closer inspection it was totally covered with stringy hairy mold. Gone far, far bad. I couldn't find an exp. date on it and fortunately I didn't get sick, but I was really grossed out for a while.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Chrs posted:

You can get these at most farmer's markets or fairs in America. They'll offer option to coat them with cinnamon or powdered sugar and give you a cup of chocolate to dip it in.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Where are you in the US? In New England, never have I ever gotten a cup of dipping chocolate for anything but a churro at a Mexican restaurant

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

Where are you in the US? In New England, never have I ever gotten a cup of dipping chocolate for anything but a churro at a Mexican restaurant
Seattle metropolitan area. The donuts I speak of are mini-donuts. I can't tell if the ones linked are, but they are proportioned the same. Deep fried?

I should have left off "most" in my prior post. I don't really know.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
idk why anyone makes donuts that aren't maple old fashioneds. thats it. that's all u need. the best one. objectively. lol way to complicate your business. its like u never even heard about overhead in donut businessman school

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Jelly posted:

Seattle metropolitan area. The donuts I speak of are mini-donuts. I can't tell if the ones linked are, but they are proportioned the same. Deep fried?

I should have left off "most" in my prior post. I don't really know.
I mean it sounds amazing, we need to get on the bandwagon

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020

Mr. Meagles posted:

I was babysat for a large part of my childhood by friends of the family who ran a Mexican bakery. This was cool, as I got to help out in the store and eat lots of delicious Mexican breads and pastries as a kid for free.

Conchas though are the point of this because I cannot imagine why anyone buys them. It's a donut shaped thing that is baked and not fried. And it has some kind of topping made of cinnamon sugar.

But don't be fooled. This may look soft, it is not. It may look sweet, it is not. They are crusty, bland, stale hockey pucks of flour and yeast that trick you into thinking its a treat. The pigeons did not even eat them. Buy Cream cheese Chamucos instead

The dreaded Conchas

that's just pan. or pan dulce if u wanna be all formal. which literally means sweet bread. i thought everyone has tried it at some point

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

a stale regular glazed donut where the icing has started to liquify because the sugar absorbed so much air are pretty gross... like day old glazed? nasty.

i don't often eat donuts, their sold out at the good place by 9am and im too lazy.. but i've never had a bearclaw or whatever you call a fried cinnamon rolled thing that was horrible

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

There's a hipster place in Portland that makes poo poo donuts to be pretentious

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

Chrs posted:

a good one of these is fantastic but while the american kind is almost impossible to gently caress up these ones are very possible to gently caress up. often too crunchy/oily. they were usually good at the seaside but if you went to like a fair or whatever and got these they were usually not very good

Toxic Mental posted:

there was a thread years ago on these very forums about dumpster diving for like, old odwalla juices and expired muffins and poo poo from the backs of starbucks at night

people did this for some reason? I don't know but something tells me that 15 years later they still aren't stealing garbage from a dumpster like raccoons at 2AM

i did this when i was a student and had no money, but i did it at the bougie rear end supermarket because they threw out super nice french cheeses and fancy rear end european stuff that was nearly always still good for like a week afterwards (at least as long as it wasn’t like the middle of summer). also because they didn’t lock their dumpsters up like every other supermarket did as they were too upper middle class to even be aware that someone might go fishing around in their bins

and yea i don’t really do that anymore. even though i still have no money

yugioh mishima fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 6, 2022

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Merdle posted:

Oooo that sounds cool, where’s it at? :kiddo:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Do they got a donut made of beef stuffed with pepper and cheese?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Mr. Merdle posted:

This is 99% true, but they also gave me the best apple fritter I've ever had in my life so I'm very conflicted.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

when they put the crawfish in the wrong direction

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I worked at a Winco without a bakery and a lot of the "fresh" baked goods were actually prepared offsite and would come in frozen. When they were brought out to thaw and be stocked on the shelf, they'd dial in a date to the sticker gun that was a given number of days out and slap them on all the packages. Walmart does the same thing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Hey op I'd like to introduce you to a place called Tim Hortons just north of the border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Content: One time pre-covid, I had the for real deal flu and was shivering in bed, aching, and dehydrated for 2 days straight before I finally could drag myself out of the house and get Carl's Jr and a dozen doughnuts as well as a bunch of Gatorade. Gross, I know but I was starving and delirious. I got home and tore into it all, only to realize I had lost all sense of taste.

Imagine what a greasy fast food burger or maple bar would be like if they had zero flavor, just the texture. So loving disgusting. That's the worst doughnut I've ever had.