Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

It can be a shot (the run up to the edge of a cliff/building, pan to overhead and see to the ground), a sound (goodbye Wilhelm, you are now more annoying than hat-tipping) or a storytelling convention (starting with the action leading up to the final confrontation, smash-cut to black and "Three Months Earlier" card).

What is the single thing you absolutely must get rid of to improve movies.

For me, it's any monologue that begins with "We're not so different, you and I..."

gently caress you you hacky hack. die in a fire.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Orange/Blue

Unsubtle Orange/Blue

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Ban the supernatural from movies. Ghosts, time travel, etc. It is counter revolutionary

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Ban people. All roles are played by pugs with subtitles.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Walt Disney Company

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Shrecknet posted:

It can be a shot (the run up to the edge of a cliff/building, pan to overhead and see to the ground), a sound (goodbye Wilhelm, you are now more annoying than hat-tipping) or a storytelling convention (starting with the action leading up to the final confrontation, smash-cut to black and "Three Months Earlier" card).

What is the single thing you absolutely must get rid of to improve movies.

For me, it's any monologue that begins with "We're not so different, you and I..."

gently caress you you hacky hack. die in a fire.

If I can ban something from TV, I'd like to ban the thing a lotta shows do (CSI is well-known for it but not the only offender) where they film city scenery and do 30 fast jump cuts while playing generic music to illustrate the fast paced nature of the city.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CGI blood and gore.

I will add more time for productions to clean up the goop

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Post credit scenes.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Breaking the fourth wall. It's rarely good.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Somber covers of upbeat songs. They can be used well but most of the time it's terrible.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Srice posted:

Somber covers of upbeat songs. They can be used well but most of the time it's terrible.
sorry, as emperor of Hollywood I outrank you and so enjoy this creepy children's choir singing gangnam style during a slow-motion shootout

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Shrecknet posted:

sorry, as emperor of Hollywood I outrank you and so enjoy this creepy children's choir singing gangnam style during a slow-motion shootout

Honestly that could be an exception to the rule so I'm okay with this.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shrecknet posted:

(five second delay) "YOU BROKE MY NOSE!"

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Color Grading

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Biopics

Maybe we'd lose a couple good movies, but it would be worth it.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Ban cutting. All films must be one continuous shot

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

BiggestBatman posted:

Ban cutting. All films must be one continuous shot

Also your films can only have scissors if they don't get used

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Any gag where something over the top happens and then a character says "Welcome to [setting]"

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Child actors, mostly for their own good, but also because they suck.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

VFX for anything that's doable with practical effects.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Horror movies where the monster breaks its own rules to come alive for one last jump scare just before the credits. The production company has at least a year to figure out how to bring them back for the sequel, use that time instead of tacking on five more seconds that won't matter.

Espacio
Mar 25, 2006
Dieses ist der schlechteste verrat!
Mark Wahlberg

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Making deceptive trailers that pitch a movie as something completely different from what it actually is.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
A live-action version of anything that's already been animated.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Remakes and reboots that weren't needed except to nostalgia farm

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

The Walt Disney Company

This

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

profit motive, all films must be provably net negative

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

well why not posted:

profit motive, all films must be provably net negative
conveniently, no movie has turned a profit since 1989 thanks to Hollywood accounting

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
All superhero/comic book movies. It’s made our culture increasingly infantile.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Undercutting every exciting or emotional moment with a lovely winking-at-the-audience quip.

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo

Payndz posted:

Undercutting every exciting or emotional moment with a lovely winking-at-the-audience quip.

this because it'll ban a really boring writing crutch and give me a twofer to get

MLSM posted:

All superhero/comic book movies. It’s made our culture increasingly infantile.

as well

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Horror movies shouldn't be ashamed to be just horror movies.

Sometimes I want to see buckets of blood when a big, scary monster eats people, not focus on how the monster is a manifestation of a 9-year old's trauma after his kindergarten love rejected him and she died in an accident afterwards leaving him eternally unable to find closure and how moving to a new town meant his single-mom now works more nightshifts and this triggered his anxiousness which is actually feeding the monster but wait she has a new love interest and he feels lonelier than ever slowly giving in to the voices in his head and.........

Not always, just sometimes.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
The phrase "...and you know it!" following any accusatory statement from one character to another. It is the most unnecessary form of dialogue diarrhea, right up there with, "Well, that happened." after something loving happens.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Writers

Take that, cinema

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Each studio can only make 2 CGI movies a year, everything else has to be practical effects

Also ban digital movies, everything has to be shot on real film again

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

CGI, don't give me that bullshit "You don't even know how widespread it is" First off gently caress yourself secondly they made movies before computers we don't need that poo poo poisoning cinema

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I salute your crusade Gaius

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Srice posted:

Can we do upbeat covers of somber songs?

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Ban Disney, save movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
all rom-coms are now banned, sorry