Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Any plotline that you could reasonably slot into a NES RPG. If your movie is about getting the thing to get the thing to kill the bad guy, or everyone has to take five minutes to explain how your clever system of magic works, gently caress off and try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Kazzah posted:

No dialogue in trailers. You can convey what you're doing with images and music, or you can gently caress off.

Dark City trailer = Best Trailer

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Black Lighter posted:

Green screen. If you can't do it with a practical set or on location, you can't do it. That would solve the problems of most mainstream movies being set in a digital nowhere zone; studio-mandated reshoots turning every movie into a mangled, toneless mess; and the endless conveyor belt feeding VFX workers into the crunch all at once. Just a genuine blight on the medium as a whole.

They'll just use rear projection instead.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Absolutely nothing, as long as I'm getting that sweet sweet $$$$ as President of Hollywood then they can do whatever they want to do.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Rear projection is cool.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Das Boo posted:

A live-action version of anything that's already been animated.

This. As a matter of fact, I’d demand more animated remakes of live-action movies a la “Tokyo Godfathers”.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I ban presidents of Hollywood from banning one thing

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

That DICK! posted:

I ban presidents of Hollywood from banning one thing

The Hollywood sign explodes and you've broken the spell.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

High Warlord Zog posted:

Streaming services that don't host older movies. At least 50% of a streamer's film catalogue must be from before 1980 or else that service is to be shut down.

This doesn't quite fit the OP's rules, but if you don't make a product available then it goes into the public domain.

Also, for every minute past 90 minutes runtime, you have to pay an extra 1% tax on revenues.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

If they want to use a really limited tool like that, cool, they can go nuts. Even if they shot a whole movie with rear projection, the end result would probably be a lot more interesting than all the content slurry green screen helps enable.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Black Lighter posted:

If they want to use a really limited tool like that, cool, they can go nuts. Even if they shot a whole movie with rear projection, the end result would probably be a lot more interesting than all the content slurry green screen helps enable.

honestly a retro piece using 60's era technology sounds fantastic.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Famethrowa posted:

honestly a retro piece using 60's era technology sounds fantastic.
Roman Coppolla's CQ has a 1960s film-within-a-film spy-fi movie (think Barbarella crossed with Diabolik) that for the most part looks bang-on for the era, but a couple of the effects shots are just too slick for the technology and budget it would have had. Only a minor thing, but it still distracted a bit. (Underrated film, though.)

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Mark Wahlberg

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Shouting in animated films. Once you notice it you never stop noticing it. Every American animated film is full of characters shouting at each other ad nauseum. No one seems to talk normally.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Computers don’t make constant tiny squittering sounds when people are using them. Stop doing that. No, not even FBI computers.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Vegetable posted:

Shouting in animated films. Once you notice it you never stop noticing it. Every American animated film is full of characters shouting at each other ad nauseum. No one seems to talk normally.

Omg this! It’s the same with cartoon tv shows. I can’t watch bobs burgers because the shouting makes me nervous.

Monprr
Jan 28, 2009

Future Wax posted:

Movies in the same series aren't allowed to have identical titles. No three Halloweens, three Shafts, two Screams, etc.

I agree with this. I also want to add that you can't just slap on/remove "The" to an otherwise similar title.

"The" Final Destination
"The" Batman
Fast & Furious
Evil Dead

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pixeltendo posted:

Color Grading
A billion times this. I mean, I wouldn't disinvent the technology, but its overuse has to go.

Mexico's sky isn't brown and plants there are green you racist fucks.

Everything is just desaturated nothing.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Fight scenes where the heroes are just swinging away at dozens of generic cgi filler baddies while the 'epic battle' between hundreds of even more generic cgi filler baddies goes on behind them.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Shared cinematic universes.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

EvilJoven posted:

Fight scenes where the heroes are just swinging away at dozens of generic cgi filler baddies while the 'epic battle' between hundreds of even more generic cgi filler baddies goes on behind them.
Also finales where a giant beam shoots into/out of the sky and the heroes have to fight through hundreds of lovely CGI mooks to destroy whatever's causing it.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013
Fight scenes composed entirely of sub one second cuts. Hire some athletic actors to play action heroes.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

gaj70 posted:

Fight scenes composed entirely of sub one second cuts. Hire some athletic actors to play action heroes.
fun fact: Shaq ended up doing all his own stunts on Steel, because as it turns out there aren't *2* insanely jacked 7'3" black guys who look anything alike

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
on the flip side, if i were president of hollywood and could mandate one thing in every movie it would be an end credits gag reel. think of the potential. parasite gag reel. the godfather gag reel. mamma mia here we go again gag reel.

to answer the actual question it'd probably be the "protagonist's lie gets revealed at the end of the second act" thing

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

gaj70 posted:

The sad truth is that all the 'big-name' action stars either moved away from the genre or become too old to keep it up as times changed.

The sub-one-second cuts mask the fact that these sub-par directors and editors are working with unfit dudes who are not really healthy enough to do fake karate for hours at a time.

They can either hire Seagal and get his audience, or hire a nobody and miss out. It's a bleak sub-industry to be in.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

well why not posted:

The sad truth is that all the 'big-name' action stars either moved away from the genre or become too old to keep it up as times changed.
hear me out....

wild idea incoming...

make new stars by putting out new stories with young actors and killer scripts and stuntwork

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the old DVD men don't want new stars

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Half of this thread is just reinventing Dogme 95. As for me, I would ban "using out-of-place music for fight scenes". Shaun of the Dead did it and that was more than enough to last a decade, now it seems every other movie has a scene where a dude gets his brains bashed out to an Avril Lavigne song

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

mutantIke posted:

Half of this thread is just reinventing Dogme 95. As for me, I would ban "using out-of-place music for fight scenes". Shaun of the Dead did it and that was more than enough to last a decade, now it seems every other movie has a scene where a dude gets his brains bashed out to an Avril Lavigne song

I wouldn’t go as far as to ban it, but I’d make directors have to justify it in writing for each scene.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

just ban non-diegetic music. Do it like Woman at War (2018) if you really need an orchestral score

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Enough with the dang oners already, it was impressive when Spielberg and Scorsese did it, now it’s just meaningless wankery. As President I’m putting a 20 year moratorium on unbroken shots with a moving camera longer than 15 seconds.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
would you make an exception for One Take Movies or are they the ultimate enemy

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I will allow one single take feature length film to be released during the 20 year period, but if it sucks then I extend the moratorium another 20 years.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I feel like no more oners stitched together from multiple shots or with CGI enhancements would be a good compromise.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Okay, I may have thrown the baby out with the bathwater a bit there. I guess my real pet peeve is the obvious foreground wipes or CGI stuff as you mentioned.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

I'd ban JJ Abrams and all his inspired copycats/alumni, that would fix about half of Hollywood

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I still love the hide-the-transition-in-the-whip-pan gag, though. :-P

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Bargearse posted:

Shared cinematic universes.

You're messing up Godzilla.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

just ban non-diegetic music. Do it like Woman at War (2018) if you really need an orchestral score

God no. Film/TV scores are the only place we are getting new great orchestral and electronic music at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Shrecknet posted:

hear me out....

wild idea incoming...

make new stars by putting out new stories with young actors and killer scripts and stuntwork

But that's the thing: The studios really aren't interested in creating and promoting stars anymore, because stars make creative demands while brands can't. Why put money into building an action star with bankable physical skills or presence up when you can have some wage slaves animate a CGI cartoon character who won't object to the twentieth round of script revisions?