Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

I still love the hide-the-transition-in-the-whip-pan gag, though. :-P

Yeah, I like some one take stuff (Boiling Point and that episode of The Bear) when used appropriately, its one of the few ways to make something actually feel in real time, but I'm fine with the hidden cuts, seems like a waste of effort not to include them and create a better film, rather than be true one-shot and only get a couple of takes. Without the cuts you spend half the time seeing if you can tell if the actors are worried about loving up rather than paying attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Isn't the thing about eaglescreech.wav you always hear in movies that it's actually the cry of a red kite, because actual eagles sound kind of stupid when they cry out?

Red-tailed hawks, actually - red kites sound a little different. And yeah, bald eagles in particular sound a bit like seagulls, which makes sense given they're basically seagull-but-eagle.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Annabel Pee posted:

Yeah, I like some one take stuff (Boiling Point and that episode of The Bear) when used appropriately, its one of the few ways to make something actually feel in real time, but I'm fine with the hidden cuts, seems like a waste of effort not to include them and create a better film, rather than be true one-shot and only get a couple of takes. Without the cuts you spend half the time seeing if you can tell if the actors are worried about loving up rather than paying attention.

The best pseudo oner is the Charlie Work episode of Always Sunny. Came out before Birdman yet was somehow jazzier and more energetic.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

:911:

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?
I would ban fake death scenes.

I am never convinced they are real death scenes in which characters act all sad. I am always convinced I am wasting my time watching them. I am never pleased when everyone thinks the hero is dead and they are not, in fact, dead.

These fake death scenes loving suck:

- Aragorn in Lord of the Rings
- Vin Diesel in a bunch of loving things
- Chewbacca
- Comissioner Gordon in Batman
- Batman in Batman

- Marvel go gently caress yourself.

Good Fake Death Scenes:

- Anything involving a monster or animal that gets up and then loving wastes somebody
- The evil Queen in Willow who makes a really scary breathing noise, she loving nails it.

I suppose I find these scenes tolerable if I don't have to sit through loving weeping and dramatic swelling musical score while I wait for the obviously not dead character to reappear.

If I get a second one, I would ban any scene in which the villain talks some incriminating poo poo in private but the hero is actually recording it and then they play it out loud in public and it is SO mortifying!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I agree fake death scenes are ridiculous. If the actor isn't willing to actually die for the part then find someone else, the fact that we keep letting these people get away with shoddy chicanery instead of embracing reality has done incredible damage to human culture.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Famethrowa posted:

The best pseudo oner is the Charlie Work episode of Always Sunny. Came out before Birdman yet was somehow jazzier and more energetic.
It was four months later, but you're right about everything else.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Since I'm here anyways and this whole thing reminded me: I ban gratuitously inaccurate portrayals of predator behaviour. No standing around roaring before or while trying to catch prey, nine-tenths of their time is spent sleeping or resting, if they aren't hungry or bored they'll ignore someone standing in plain sight, if they're enormous they probably don't care about humans unless they're irritating them.
As a bonus, defictionalized predatory behaviour in something like bears can also be way scarier: the animal gets really focused on you and doesn't make a lot of noise and just starts moving closer and closer, ignoring everything you're doing to make it go away because it's trying to figure out the cost/benefit ratio of killing and eating you. See also: (very rare) bump-and-bite shark attacks.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

LividLiquid posted:

It was four months later, but you're right about everything else.

Still, they were definitely conceived/filmed/edited around the same time, not really riding the wave like people thought

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Instead of banning something, can I mandate 1 thing?

‘Cause I got a hankering for a new Arnold Schwarzenegger/ Danny Devito buddy comedy

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

I would ban low-effort sequel titles that just add a number to the end.

I would ban the opposite of this. Every sequel has to have the installment number in it. The next James Bond movie has to be called James Bond 27.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
James Bon 0027

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Wonder Woman 2 1984

Blade Runner 2 2049

Pokemon 2: the Movie 2000

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Halloween 10: Halloween II (2009)

Star Wars 5: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: Raiders of the Lost Ark Part 4

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Solo: A 2nd Star Wars Story

The Dark Knight Returns: Batman Begins 3

Spiderman: No Way Home - Spiderman: Homecoming 3/ The Amazing Spiderman 3/ Spiderman 4

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Categorically ban all direct remakes and adaptations. You must have a new title.

To be clear - the 'movie rights' to a book can still be bought. However, you're not allowed to name your movie after the book at all, and you are discouraged from keeping the same character names, etc. It just means you're allowed to put "inspired by the book X" in your credits.

This means there is no Spider-Man movie.
Instead you are allowed to have "Arachno-Guy, officially inspired by the Spider-Man comic."
You are also allowed to later have, ten years later, "Web-Lad, officially inspired by the Spider-Man comic, from the same studio that brought you Arachno-Guy".

Sequels are still allowed. You're allowed to make Arachno-Guy 2 as long as it is in continuity with Arachno-Guy 1.

Doing this would help to remove 'but how does it stack up to the original' in conversation, as well as mean that you cannot rely on the original text in an adaptation because the adapters are making a new 'inspired by' story and are not beholden to it at all.

edit:
Yes, this also applies to 'good' adaptations to. Blanket rule.
No LOTR movies. Just "The Alliance of the Amulet; officially inspired by The Lord of the Rings."

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 3, 2022

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Halloween 13: Halloween Ends - Halloween (2018) 3 / Halloween (1978) 4 (2022)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Solo: A 2nd Star Wars Story

The Dark Knight Returns: Batman Begins 3

not quite. Solo would be Star Wars 12. The Dark Knight Returns would be Batman 7.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Halloween 13: Halloween Ends - Halloween (2018) 3 / Halloween (1978) 4 (2022)
great now I gotta solve a math problem before I can go see the stabby man movie

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Psycho 5: The Exact Same

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

mutantIke posted:

Psycho 5: The Exact Same

i think as a corollary to my rule this and all other remakes would have to follow the naming convention "Psycho: The Remake"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hallow33n 3nds

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
This thread's reminding me that I have to watch Naked Gun 3 through 32

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i think as a corollary to my rule this and all other remakes would have to follow the naming convention "Psycho: The Remake"

Psycho Again

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

The German title for Friday the 13th Part 3 ("Und wieder ist Freitag der 13") is "And it's Friday the 13th Again"

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Shrecknet posted:

great now I gotta solve a math problem before I can go see the stabby man movie

Halloween 7: H20 Halloween 20 Years Later - Halloween (1978) III (1998)

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

Last ones, I promise:

Rambo III: First Blood Part 3

Leonard Part 6: Part 1

Never Say Never Again: Dr. No Part 4 (1983)/ James Bond 13 (1983)⎇*

*⎇ = Alt.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Films going into production without a finished script. Sorry, but you've gotta actually have a finalized screenplay before you start shooting.

e: either that or unionizing the VFX industry. Or banning content providers from producing content, a United States v. Paramount Pictures, Inc. for the streaming age. If you want to stream content, you can't make it.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 4, 2022

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

feedmyleg posted:

Films going into production without a finished script. Sorry, but you've gotta actually have a finalized screenplay before you start shooting.

I reckon everyone always thinks they have a finished script going in, lol

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That is definitely not true for larger films.

B.F. Pinkerton
Nov 29, 2021

Paul's Boutique
(+1) 718-498-1043
Brooklyn, New York
I'd immediately ban those colour filters used to differentiate between America (normal), Europe (Sharp), Mexico (Yellow), and the Middle East (Yellow but slightly different shade). Also, that stock violin sting effect you'll hear in horror movies during a tense moment.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

feedmyleg posted:

e: either that or unionizing the VFX industry. Or banning content providers from producing content, a United States v. Paramount Pictures, Inc. for the streaming age. If you want to stream content, you can't make it.

this mf doesnt want inland empire to exist

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
No more budgets over $10m.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
No fart jokes in animated movies.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

B.F. Pinkerton posted:

I'd immediately ban those colour filters used to differentiate between America (normal), Europe (Sharp), Mexico (Yellow), and the Middle East (Yellow but slightly different shade). Also, that stock violin sting effect you'll hear in horror movies during a tense moment.

You're forgetting East Asia (blue) and Russia (brown)

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Musicals songs that don’t stand on their own. “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” is dogshit. It’s like pure plot information. My kid may not care, but I know when a song is just a lore dump.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pulcinella posted:

Musicals songs that don’t stand on their own. “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” is dogshit. It’s like pure plot information. My kid may not care, but I know when a song is just a lore dump.

Musicals are based on plays where the music is exposition. I'm so lost in your opinion. When you went and saw Les Miserables, were you complaining that Javier sung about him being born in a prison and that's what made him obsessed with the law?

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Darko posted:

Musicals are based on plays where the music is exposition. I'm so lost in your opinion. When you went and saw Les Miserables, were you complaining that Javier sung about him being born in a prison and that's what made him obsessed with the law?

No. Sorry I was unclear. Les Mis is the exact opposite of what I am complaining about. Yes while also conveying story information, the music still has broader themes. Encanto literally has a song that just lists every character and their superpower, which is barely more complex than the Poké Rap, an advertisement for the merchandise.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I would ban injustice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Pulcinella posted:

I'm okay with this, but it really bothers me that in The Lion King, Simba uses "I Just Can't Wait to Be King" to escape from Zazu and its not clear how much of that song was fantasy and how much happened.