Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javik the Seer
Oct 11, 2021

BabyRyoga posted:

Seriously, it sounds like this is what happens though:

1) Players randomly report other players for petty things.
2) After a certain amount of reports that might change based on volume within a time frame, the system automatically issues bans.
3) If banned player appeals, bots tell them to gently caress off with automated replies.
4) If banned player makes enough of a 'stink' about it, IE on social media or whatever, eventually an actual human reviews the case.
5) Actual human tries their very hardest to find ANYTHING they can use to justify the ban so they don't have to admit there was a mistake.

Havent played in a while but can almost confirm this. It happens in other games too.

Its automated and the reports are tallied up vy volume not by justification. People can and do report for aaaanything that displeases them. From saying "GG" to asking for heals/movement/swap/literally anything gameplay related to even pocking a character they dont like. All the ai has to do is fine any text at all and itll enforce a penalty.

Fun anecdote: a buddy of mine played that final fantasy online mmo and they had rules like this too. Basically "no making a player feel bad or critical of performance", so asking for more healing or dps was literally considered toxic.

They would run damage meters and stuff and if someone did not perform well enough, or futzed off or whatever, and they all died it was guild policy to all mute. Leave the raid. Reform the raid without the person and try again. They would never ever say why or communicate at all because they could get suspended for making the player feel bad. Not saying you SHOULD bully someone at all, but even bringing it up at all was grounds to punish. Its crazy but they had to all that just to function or folks would get banned for saying "more heals on the tank'in chat.

Then theres the time i got chatbanned for saying "dont be homophobic" in chat as others were being so in voice and chat. Banned for toxic language i poo poo you not.

Automating behavior regulations and chat is, i think, a bigger contributer to the toxic online behavior than the playerbase itself. Online communities literally do it to themselves with poor moderation. I mean, look at twitter. But....it doesnt make number go up, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I think I'm getting better at D.Va. I got the Game Over achievement which is something I never expected to be able to accomplish.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Game has been fun again so far this patch. I think all the Venture is what is doing it for me. I like the brawly format without sombras lurking around.

When it's Sombra/Venture they don't have enough sustained pressure to win.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Sombra is constantly invisible, able to hack characters & mark them, inflict a damage over time effect, shred supports with her uzi, and can translocate to safety at any time. They could take away 1 of her abilities and she’d still be op lol

Lube Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 23, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I just want to play Ana without it being permanently Hard Mode.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I just want to play Ana without it being permanently Hard Mode.

:same:

I know I've said it before but I'd be perfectly fine with them copying and pasting Baptiste's boots or Widow's grapple onto her kit. It doesn't need to be original, just give her something please.

In other Baptiste news, I saved three people by dropping a lamp right before a DVa bomb went off earlier. Felt good.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 23, 2024

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Sombra is constantly invisible, able to hack characters & mark them, inflict a damage over time effect, shred supports with her uzi, and can translocate to safety at any time. They could take away 1 of her abilities and she’d still be op lol

Yeah, but the DOT is pretty hard to hit with and the overall flow and style of the character is hard to get used to due to the delay when you break stealth. Her ult can either delete teams or be completely worthless and do nothing because it doesn't really do damage and its hard to keep track of what it even cancels or nullifies at this point with how many changes they've made.

If you think Sombra is OP, you should spend some time playing her and see how well you do.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I don't think she's OP but I do think she's not much fun to play against a lot of the time, if the player on her is half competent. This is probably just the nature of stealth characters, though.

I do prefer her current version over the old one.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 23, 2024

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I apologise. It’s just i mostly play support so i’m always the one on the receiving end of her bullshit :negative:

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Lube Enthusiast posted:

I apologise. It’s just i mostly play support so i’m always the one on the receiving end of her bullshit :negative:

Kiriko is one of the worst possible Sombra targets, if you’re looking for a swap. She can either suzu or tp to cleanse virus. Suzu also heals her enough to probably get the kill on Sombra or force her to abandon the pick attempt entirely. Also her just being around means anyone virused can get cleansed at any time and unless you stick virus or the target is already critical, you aren’t getting the pick.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

toadee posted:

Kiriko is one of the worst possible Sombra targets, if you’re looking for a swap. She can either suzu or tp to cleanse virus. Suzu also heals her enough to probably get the kill on Sombra or force her to abandon the pick attempt entirely. Also her just being around means anyone virused can get cleansed at any time and unless you stick virus or the target is already critical, you aren’t getting the pick.

TIL. Thanks for the tip. I don't have a lot of hours on kiri so I usually avoid her. I guess I'll swap to Kiri instead of Lucio. With Lucio I am just much closer to the team and probably stuck in speed boost and really hard to track.

I don't feel like Ana is too disadvantaged at mid SRs at least. If I have both cooldowns I'm gonna win. If I have 1, it's a fair fight. I'm so tuned in to Sombra noises, that I start strafing around immediately. If you can zip behind a corner, she has to put herself out in the open and become an easy target for you and your team. Otherwise, hitting one shot and a nade is enough to make her teleport. I can hit one shot on a Sombra that is trying to track me. I'll also note that if you just take a long time to die while getting a couple heals off your team has a good shot of winning.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
As a Sombra enjoyer, Moira is the support I don't bother solo. If I wait/bait out Kiri's cleanse I'll either kill her or she escapes first and it's a draw, but Moira stands a much better chance of killing me first. I suppose it's appropriate for the characters.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

effervescible posted:

As a Sombra enjoyer, Moira is the support I don't bother solo. If I wait/bait out Kiri's cleanse I'll either kill her or she escapes first and it's a draw, but Moira stands a much better chance of killing me first. I suppose it's appropriate for the characters.

Moira with no fade is very killable, just don't try it in a small room where she can bounce a yellow orb. The Kiriko stuff comes also from Questron, who doesn't even bother looking at Kiriko (and is a top 100 ranked Sombra one trick). The best you can hope to do with a Kiriko who knows what they are doing is distract them for a few seconds before you translocate away.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The 'safer' supports to go for i've found are Zen/Mercy/LW although you have to take into account how you are gonna chase Mercy or LW in a safe manner.

I wouldn't say Ana is particularly easy or hard to get as a target, it's just best to go on supports that you can kill the fastest. While Ana doesn't necessarily have a button she can push to distance herself from a sombra, she can both self nade and sleep.

Kiriko and Moira are bad to go on unless you know they have no outs.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Yeah, if I catch her in the right spot without relevant cooldowns, I'll absolutely still go for her, but it seems to happen rarely enough that there are usually better targets. Just wanted to toss her out as a possibility for the Sombra-weary support players.

I like Questron, he does good stuff and has helped me improve as Sombra. He could probably be worthwhile for someone looking to learn to survive better against her too though he streams more than he does short form advice videos.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Zen is the only support I bother to really try jumping. Usually if a dps is out of position I'll choose them instead but realistically I don't like to go too far from my team unless the other team is staggered

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I can at least chase off a Sombra as Ana a lot of the time, and if my other support peels she just has to retreat. It's the other dive heroes I have problems with. MAYBE I'll land a sleep and MAYBE I can run away before they're woken up, but you pretty much have to have both your cooldowns up to have a chance of surviving, and if you're forced to hold them to save yourself, you can't use them on your team. At that point you might as well play a character where it's easier to get value for far less skill.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

dismayed to find out because of these dumb changes that it is now harder to join my friend who is plat and play a few when i get the itch . dismayed, but not surprised.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Astrochicken posted:

dismayed to find out because of these dumb changes that it is now harder to join my friend who is plat and play a few when i get the itch . dismayed, but not surprised.

What? Nothing changes in QP. In ranked, if you were bronze or masters, you could join your plat friend, but it might be a weird game in comp depending on how the wide group is filled. You would NEVER have been able to play with him before this change in comp, your ranks were to disparate.

Why do you think its harder to join your friend?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Astrochicken posted:

Sounds like it is the opposite of a dumb change if it means it'll be harder for you to get a game with your "plat" buddy, assuming you are much lower rank. That's a good change.

Yeah, it makes it less convenient for you, but it's healthier for the quality of the game in the larger picture. Players of wide skill gap being in the same ranked game is extremely problematic to match quality.

It is a bit of a "sorry not sorry" type scenario, but I would stand by this take until the end of time. Maybe you should play QP, arcade mode, or customs if you want to play with your buddy when you get the itch. What specifically about potentially ruining a competitive game is it that scratches that itch, that just having some no-stress fun with a pal doesn't?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just do what everyone else does and make a smurf account with your friend that you only queue together on.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Giving away skins with Game Pass Ultimate. I really like the Widowmaker Medusa one.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Add the mirrorwatch alts to the permanent roster. I would play the hell out of support sombra

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
As an ana main do NOT add the doomfist that has a shield when he blocks BC I hate it and still fire sleeps at it out of habit

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

It'd be cool to have Mirrorwatch pop up in the Arcade rotation throughout the year. But adding mirror characters to the regular roster would lead to dozens of new balance problems and angry video essays. Also, I have a feeling some of these alternate abilities are talents that were salvaged from the canceled Hero Missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Add the mirrorwatch alts to the permanent roster. I would play the hell out of support sombra

hard loving :same:

Been having a blast with Mirrorwatch Sombra. Detonating corpses with Evil Mercy is also insanely fun, lol.