Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Los Muertos weapon skins for Soldier 76 and Junkrat are out.

They look okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

They colors on the neon change in the based on the light, and have some pretty neat sounds/effects if you're not playing on cardboard quality settings.

I think they're significantly more interesting than the hard light weapons. They had some real neat sounds too though.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Rawrbomb posted:

They colors on the neon change in the based on the light, and have some pretty neat sounds/effects if you're not playing on cardboard quality settings.

I think they're significantly more interesting than the hard light weapons. They had some real neat sounds too though.

They're nice, but they just don't make me go "drat, I wish those were cheaper because those are amazing". Definitely better than the Hard Light skins though, which were a baffling choice for a first offering.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Proven posted:

I figured this rumor might be popular here. Any guesses on how casual it might be?

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZgODQ3En7-c?si=EHkiJByAsxdSmb9f

I thought this sounded like dumb speculation since there wasn't much to discuss in Overwatch 2 at the moment. Welp,

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1773002588453019907?t=KMRZ3cVVCodxuwqiUwKdRQ&s=19

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Father Wendigo posted:

I thought this sounded like dumb speculation since there wasn't much to discuss in Overwatch 2 at the moment. Welp,

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1773002588453019907?t=KMRZ3cVVCodxuwqiUwKdRQ&s=19

I'm sure this game from the developers of...
*checks notes*
Diablo Immortal, will be great.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Jack Trades posted:

Remember when the primary justification for OW2's existence was "we need to do it for PvE"?

That sure aged like milk.
Just like the game.

I think about this every time someone posts anecdotally about how the game is fine and everyone who hates it is overreacting. You’re actively and eagerly playing a scam.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Venture (new DPS hero) gameplay trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF6tLqe_FSA

Ability details and early trial period:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmoUyvQ5q-Y

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 27, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I'm sure this game from the developers of...
*checks notes*
Diablo Immortal, will be great.

i was gonna say 'naraka bladepoint is decent' but they only published that

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
He looks like a really fun character, that borrow move looks like a blast. They, in my opinion, completely beefed it on his character design though.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Venture looks fun. They're also non binary.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Codependent Poster posted:

Venture looks fun. They're also non binary.

Whoa, has there been any bad PR about Blizzard in the last 24 hours or what?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the character was announced as nb its not a sudden shift. im as skeptical of blizz as anyone else but cmon

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Endorph posted:

the character was announced as nb its not a sudden shift. im as skeptical of blizz as anyone else but cmon
Yeah, this isn't some sudden shift, it was touted at the release.

Jack's life is to poo poo in every game thread they're in. So I mostly try to ignore them now.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Endorph posted:

I’d bet this video wasn’t dropping until Marvel dropped theirs for a game that directly competes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Rawrbomb posted:

Jack's life is to poo poo in every game thread they're in. So I mostly try to ignore them now.

That means that you don't read threads for good games.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Jack Trades posted:

That means that you don't read threads for good games.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Father Wendigo posted:

Looks like poo poo

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Every time someone says to be positive in the OW thread it just stays dead for a long time. If you don’t want to read about people making GBS threads on Overwatch then there are no salt subreddits for like every game.

I think that marvel game looks pretty good, hope it plays well.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Endorph posted:

valorant's newest character is also nonbinary, i think we're just finally at the point culturally where companies feel they can start representing them openly without society blowing a gasket

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

I’d bet this video wasn’t dropping until Marvel dropped theirs for a game that directly competes.

Maybe, but they'd already said players would get to try Venture before season 10. The timing doesn't feel suspicious to me,

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

if they don't have a GO TEAM VENTURE voice line this game is dead to me

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Vermain posted:

valorant's newest character is also nonbinary, i think we're just finally at the point culturally where companies feel they can start representing them openly without society blowing a gasket

As long as it's in approved markets only.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Vermain posted:

I have some bad news about the portion of society that tends to talk during games of overwatch

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vermain posted:

the point culturally for that was when the ds game gloria union had a mechanic where male characters could call for assist attacks in a + formation and female characters could call for assist attacks in an x formation and the final boss was nb and broken because they just had a box around them

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023
Yet another uninspired generic character that very few people can actually relate to added to the roster KIDS LIKE MINING RIGHT? MINECRAFT? DEEP ROCK GALACTIC?...cool dude sick idea

The Marvel game looks interesting, I'll try it...finally Blizzard is getting a taste of their own medicine if NetEase can successfully pull it off (doubtful)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Father Wendigo posted:

They brought back Galacta for this

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Oh cool a skin pack for paladins

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

dopesilly posted:

Yet another uninspired generic character that very few people can actually relate to added to the roster KIDS LIKE MINING RIGHT? MINECRAFT? DEEP ROCK GALACTIC?...cool dude sick idea

this is a really weird complaint, like kids can relate to "giant gorilla" or "evil scientist"? default skin does look kinda boring though compared to other new heroes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Venture is fine, they seem nice.

I'm not going to dig for reasons to complain

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
netease means it will suck, they make bad games

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

tyrelhill posted:

netease means it will suck, they make bad games

oh that's not even in doubt

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

dopesilly posted:

I am a fulltime overwatch hater and this is a nonsense complaint. big drills are cool

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
If I hated this game I wouldn't be talking about it constantly and playing it most days. I am disappointed in the current state of the game because I would like it to be better. I don't even really have huge balance concerns at present - tank counter meta is probably the most glaring issue I see at present in that respect. I also think that the devs are actively demonstrating a much better attitude in terms of engagement and explanation and stepping up balance patch speed lately than has been the case for literal years, including almost the full first year of Overwatch 2.

My fundamental issue and the thing that breaks the game the most is the matchmaking team balance. And even there I understand why it is the way it is, and I don't know if it's really a fixable problem.

It's a hugely complex game that has had a big influx of free-to-players who don't understand the very basic stuff, and the game doesn't lead them towards understanding in any way. The way that they have to improve is either by practicing and learning for themselves, which is a pretty rare mindset (not even one that I'm particularly good at myself) or by studying overwatch guides and content. And most younger people don't engage with coaching guides or anything long form, they get snippets off Tiktok, of which only a percentage are actually valid or useful in any way.

Because the matchmaking priority has to be queue time, the lobbies that the game is creating - even in Competitive, let alone Quick Play - are very inconsistent, with imbalanced teams and very crucially often imbalanced tank skill. This renders a lot - in my estimation the majority - of matches to be pre-determined outcomes, because the game design makes these imbalances compound rapidly over time and become a hard stomp. Add the very strong hero counters that currently exist in the game to the lack of understanding how to play around them and people's tendency to just pick their favourite guy and stay on them come hell or high water and you have a very hard problem to solve. In order for one better player to carry a lobby the skill disparity has to be so very substantial that it's unlikely to occur.

And there are a lot of people who only play as a stack with their friends now - and despite Blizzard's insistence that stacks aren't actually that much of an advantage, I have my doubts. Because a random stack of bronzes who clicked "Stay as Team" are not going to be producing the output of a group of people who are making valid comms and have played together for months.

I have noticed that the people who are insisting that the game is still awesome and fun almost always have a line in their description of how they're playing such as "My friends and I still play..." and sure, pub stomping lobbies is going to feel good, because the meat of the game is still pretty decent. But think about the experience that the people you're having fun playing against are getting.

dopesilly
Aug 4, 2023
i'll complain however i like about boring character designs thank you

but my main complaints are already well spoken about like the above poster

dopesilly fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 28, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Uhh...is Venture just DPS Doomfist again?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Adding even more grinding into the game is a bold move. Let's see if it pays off.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I hope you can build a ton of momentum as the new drill hero

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Should of go all in on crossover and have the new drill hero be Gurren Lagann themed.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
venture limited trial is up, she is pretty fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Jack Trades posted:

Uhh...is Venture just DPS Doomfist again?

This feels pretty uninspired imo, an OW2 hater. The underground thing is ostensibly no different from Doomfist’s ult, no?