Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Investigating a little further it seems the deal with the prepaid thing is dependent on what kind of prepaid phone arrangement your phone is under. Prepaid phone plans that require signing a contract and providing identification seem to be accepted, but if you've got the type of prepaid phone arrangement common for burner phones where you just get a number and top it up without having to do that stuff then you're out of luck.

That said, I have seen one report from someone attempting to add a phone number unsuccessfully but being able to successfully do it a few days later with the same number, so maybe this is just a temporary fuckup on Blizzard's part. It all is very badly communicated either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I was able to clear my alt with a prepaid chip. Went to 7/11, bought a chip, walked home and slotted it into a spare phone and did the verification immediately after activating the 4g network. Not in US though, for what it's worth, but if you got a prepaid SIM you might as well give it a whirl.

E: Telcel (regular carrier) and Diri (MVNO), both prepaid with no contracts, for reference

Ignis fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 3, 2022

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Did team fortress 2 ever actually fix the bot problem

they did, yes. Sometime over the summer. i only play on community servers so I never experienced the bot crisis but people say it's way better now

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wish Team Fortress 2 wasn't poo poo. I used to love playing it until it went downhill (more like, off the cliff) around the Mann-conomy update.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Wait what's this founders pack stuff, I thought you got Kiriko for free just for owning OW1

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Father Wendigo posted:

So the Founders Pack unlocks the Healer, but what about Junker Queen and Sojourn? Will we have to grind for those?

No, they're unlocked for everyone. Kiriko is the first hero on the battle pass.

[edit]

Macaluso posted:

Wait what's this founders pack stuff, I thought you got Kiriko for free just for owning OW1

Players who owned OW1 before OW2's launch and log into the game before the first season battle pass ends claim the founder's pack automatically and get instant access to Kiriko. Anyone who creates an OW2 account at or post-launch will have to either grind out the free BP track to unlock Kiriko or pay for her outright for instant access.

[edit2] To be more specific, you have to have owned Overwatch before June 23rd of this year and login to Overwatch 2 before December (end of season one battle pass) to claim the founders pack/insta-unlock Kiriko.

[edit3] Source

teagone fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 3, 2022

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jack Trades posted:

I wish Team Fortress 2 wasn't poo poo. I used to love playing it until it went downhill (more like, off the cliff) around the Mann-conomy update.

It's still badass and the people whoare like "waaah I can't even tell what class people are with all these weird hats!! I died to a weapon with 20% extra reload speed and 10% extra damage, I'm so confused" need to Grow Up and understand the will of the gamer.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Countblanc posted:

they did, yes. Sometime over the summer. i only play on community servers so I never experienced the bot crisis but people say it's way better now

I've gotten real deep into TF2 in the past few weeks

Every bot is named Vinesauce and has the same avatar and they get community kicked pretty much the second they show up.

TF2 is still pretty great, y'all!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

teagone posted:

No, they're unlocked for everyone. Kiriko is the first hero on the battle pass.

[edit]

Players who owned OW1 before OW2's launch and log into the game before the first season battle pass ends claim the founder's pack automatically and get instant access to Kiriko. Anyone who creates an OW2 account at or post-launch will have to either grind out the free BP track to unlock Kiriko or pay for her outright for instant access.

[edit2] To be more specific, you have to have owned Overwatch before June 23rd of this year and login to Overwatch 2 before December (end of season one battle pass) to claim the founders pack/insta-unlock Kiriko.

[edit3] Source

Gotcha okay. That's extremely confusing lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Countblanc posted:

It's still badass and the people whoare like "waaah I can't even tell what class people are with all these weird hats!! I died to a weapon with 20% extra reload speed and 10% extra damage, I'm so confused" need to Grow Up and understand the will of the gamer.

I'm very sorry for wanting to play a video game in your hat collecting simulator. I'll go and sprinkle my head with ash now.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Macaluso posted:

Gotcha okay. That's extremely confusing lol

Yeaaaah, it's dumb. Lol. I had to re-look up poo poo just to make sure, lmao.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

So assuming you don't grind out a new character with a BP, what happens after it's done? Does the character move behind some other unlock system, do you just never get them, or do they just sort of unlock automatically after some time?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jack Trades posted:

I'm very sorry for wanting to play a video game in your hat collecting simulator. I'll go and sprinkle my head with ash now.

Tf2's gameplay is identical to whatever half-remembered thing you think it was 7 years ago

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
"Players who already have Overwatch will have Kiriko unlocked for free when Overwatch 2 launches in early access on Oct. 4 as long as they log in before the first nine-week season is up. "

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ashcans posted:

So assuming you don't grind out a new character with a BP, what happens after it's done? Does the character move behind some other unlock system, do you just never get them, or do they just sort of unlock automatically after some time?

They're locked behind an as-yet-undisclosed system but I would absolutely bet that you can also pay real cash/OW funbux to unlock them as well.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Friend borrowed me his Orange box on Xbox 360 and it had Team Fortress 2 in it.
On my first game I got spawn-camped hard by Heavy and Doctor.

"Maybe online shooters just aren't for me..." :shrug: That was in 2007
Overwatch 1 was my first online shooter after that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ashcans posted:

From here: https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23824003/overwatch-2-explained-battle-pass-shop-hero-unlocks-and-more

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Thanks! Good that there will be some way, although I assume it will be tedious enough to encourage you to buy them.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Jack Trades posted:

There are maybe like 2 or 3 weapons in the game that are slightly better than stock and outside of that stock kits are the optimal loadout. If you're upset that a f2p game has cosmetics in 2022 idk what to tell you but lmao

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just want a Team Fortress 3 but Valve doesnt make video games anymore. :qq:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

I said come in! posted:

I just want a Team Fortress 3 but Valve doesnt make video games anymore. :qq:

There was that fan mod that adds two new teams for 4-way matches, how'd that turn out?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ashcans posted:

Thanks! Good that there will be some way, although I assume it will be tedious enough to encourage you to buy them.

Yeah, curious how rough the grind be on the free battle pass. $10 for the premium battle pass/insta-unlock the newest hero doesn't seem too bad tbh, but I'll only shell out the cash for heroes I really want. Maybe. The beauty of playing with no chat/voice muted is you don't have to hear or read any complaints about you not being able to switch to the new hero lol.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
You can't farm reputation, if you're not in the chat.
LVL 5 gang. :blastu: :potg:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

https://twitter.com/ohhoe/status/1576964524627722240?s=46&t=C9tvqMhLWW8mCwX8M6WSnA

:3:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
It's dead.

RIP OW1.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

17k upvotes on reddit can't be wrong:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

we're in the early stages of processing the death of a family member nobody ever really liked having around a whole lot due to them being irritating and frustrating to deal with but who was a part of our lives for long enough that now, in their sudden absence, we find ourselves forgetting the bad times and reminiscing on the good

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Wheeee posted:

we're in the early stages of processing the death of a family member nobody ever really liked having around a whole lot due to them being irritating and frustrating to deal with but who was a part of our lives for long enough that now, in their sudden absence, we find ourselves forgetting the bad times and reminiscing on the good

Don't worry, their even more annoying twin is coming to stay, and they REALLY want to tell you about some awesome investment opportunities

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

RIP Overwatch 1. Lot of good memories (From meimei-thread):

https://i.imgur.com/wsP9eTh.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/ySzIzzv.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/yAVEIlT.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/o7411di.mp4

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I loved OW1 so much for like months but at lot of little things killed my interest. My external drive with all my saved POTGs died. Their hero releases slowed down well before covid. They stopped doing cinematics. They changed the rules in how much competitive currency you get for the season where I was to get my first golden gun so I ended up missing it by a small amount of points (still sitting at that same number like 5 years later so we'll see how it carries over). My queue partner quit playing and I went over to Smite for a while. We're both going to come back so we'll see if it grabs us again but we were mostly looking forward to the coop PvE so of course that has been delayed.

Some important questions. Will five player games mean individuals have more pressure and responsibility? Can Blizzard capitalize if this takes off again? Any chance they have a tv series in the works after seeing how well Arcane did? Do they have the lore sorted out any better than the ugly mess it was? Does someone have the "Blizzard: War is hell. Overwatch fans: This is the mommy, this is the daddy, and this is the baby. They're going to McDonalds" fanart?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Individuals will have more agency, it's up to you to decide if that means more pressure I guess

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

bagrada posted:

Will five player games mean individuals have more pressure and responsibility?
For tank and support, definitely. For DPS, same as always, just spam I NEED HEALING and complain about your team when you lose.

bagrada posted:

Any chance they have a tv series in the works after seeing how well Arcane did?
There's been rumours of a Netflix series kicking around for ages, I assume they've been waiting for OW2 before turning on the merchandising nozzle again. See also; Hasbro Ultimates action figures, and the cancelled Lego sets.

bagrada posted:

Do they have the lore sorted out any better than the ugly mess it was?
lol. OW has been stuck in "we're getting the band back together!" and "war is hell/fun as hell" for its entire life. I think we'll have to wait til the single player campaigns for any movement on that front.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I downloaded Overwatch last night thinking it would just upgrade to Overwatch 2, but are we actually having to download a whole new client?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I downloaded Overwatch last night thinking it would just upgrade to Overwatch 2, but are we actually having to download a whole new client?

Check your launcher.
If it says "Pre-release content downloaded.", you should be ok
Otherwise click Options button next to Play button and "Check for Updates"

EDIT: If you are on console, there is no pre-download.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

bagrada posted:

Will five player games mean individuals have more pressure and responsibility?

Everyone has way more freedom to actually shoot people. Whether this is more or less stressful is up to you.

bagrada posted:

Do they have the lore sorted out any better than the ugly mess it was?

lol. lmao

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If you wanted Overwatch to be just like all the other shooters then OW2 is gonna be perfect for you.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
seagull vid drop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pETD7QT6TcU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

You’re not the only one who keeps trying to hold that line of thought up and to be blunt I hope you’re just Overwatch posting and not actually dull enough to think that either FPS all play the same or that people wanting less MMO design in a shooter are begging for it to be turned into Valorant.

There is no legitimacy to that line of thought, it is flatly stupid on its face, which also makes it good Overwatch posting so idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Anyone here still horny for Junkrat?

I am despite his combed hair.