Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

My friends and I did one last night of Overwatch 1. It was nice. I'll miss it.

Turns out Blizzard's new phone number requirement doesn't allow prepaid phones. To log into Overwatch 1 I just lied and said I'd already added a number and it let me in. I'm assuming Overwatch 2 is actually going to check.

Not sure why this free to play FPS requires more hardcore security than my god drat bank, but here we are. Even if I wanted to play Overwatch 2 I literally can't. Feels cool for Blizzard to just take a way a game I paid for. ($30 six years ago isn't a bad value, but still.)

Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

lih posted:

what they're doing with phone numbers is very stupid but you can just try to use your number and see if it accepts it - whatever check they have is not a reliable blacklist of prepaid phones all together, with plenty of false positives and false negatives. it seems to be something like just certain prepaid-focused providers are completely blacklisted but if you have a prepaid number with a larger provider then it seems to be likely to be fine? it didn't reject my prepaid number
It doesn't work for me. I tried to enter mine and it said I needed to not have a prepaid phone.

I just literally don't have the option to play Overwatch 2 if they actually enforce this phone number thing.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

My prepaid number was explicitly rejected on Sunday and for whatever reason it worked last night.

If you've got a prepaid number just keep trying I guess? A bunch of poo poo seems broken so they might be erroneously rejecting numbers as their servers slowly die. Or else their broken servers erroneously accepted my number. Who knows. It's a really lovely system that they implemented in any case. The person quoted in that tweet who said Blizzard made them feel too poor to play a video game is really sad.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Related

EDIT: Just cut down numbers of supports to 1 and make them also overpowered, just like Tanks, or something.
Your experience with support does not match my own at all.

Admittedly I'm at a pretty low level of play, but here's what I do to actually make a difference as support: pocket the tank. Even if your tank is terrible, a living terrible tank still draws a lot of enemy fire, allowing your team to do whatever it is in their capabilities to do. And since there's only one tank, having one up vs not having one up makes a pretty big difference, and that big difference is something you, as a support, can very directly affect a lot of the time.

As for the flanker issue, I guess I'm lucky that I haven't run into a ton of relentlessly good flankers at my low skill level, but generally I'm standing right behind the tank so if a dangerous flanker shows up I then stand in front of the tank. This either dissuades the flanker or makes it really obvious to the tank that they've dropped the ball when a Genji murders me right in front of them.

Of course this general scenario isn't always possible. It often requires good mobility to even vaguely stick with the tank, and sometimes people chose Wrecking Ball or Doomfist at which point my whole strategy breaks down.

I really like playing support in this game. It's a pretty novel experience that I find really satisfying. As one might guess from my avatar I like Gundam, so I really wanted to like Gundam Evolution, but they just don't really have support characters the way Overwatch does, and I am clearly worse than most players at the shooting guys aspect of these games, so anything but support is a miserable experience. Gundam Evolution made me really appreciate the how fun the support role is in Overwatch.

I can see from queue times a lot of players of this game don't feel the same as me but I figured I'd put that out there since it seems like folks are kind of down on the state of supports in this game.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

dogstile posted:

This is gonna get you shot in higher elo's.
I would hope that in higher skill matches if you tell your team a Genji is murdering you they would understand how it negatively affects them and take countermeasures.

Maybe there's a zone of suffering where standing next to the tank is deadly, but your team still doesn't care to protect their back line, but fortunately I'm not quite in it myself.

Actually, I do have a friend of a friend who's really good at this game so when I play with him it puts me in matches where people can and do target the healers much more effectively and I have to play differently, but fortunately that only happens to me when I'm on coms with said pretty good player so if there were a serious issue of cooperation I could ask for help.