Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Barreft posted:

so i've never played before. OW2 is f2p. can I join as a newb and have people run me through matches so I get the heroes faster then spending months losing every match?

grouping in ow1 gains you an exp boost so I'd assumed it would in ow2 as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

verbal enema posted:

So what I just download OW on my pc and then it turns into OW2 later today?

yeah just make sure it has that little message about pre-download being completed or whatever

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Dugong posted:

That Seagull video is great. Three years and the main feature for this game is nowhere to be seen.

I think the main idea is that the pvp OW2 is cool, but a lot of circumstances (COVID, rapidly evolving market) means the pve is running way behind and the pvp is being released first to stop the damage. the game's gone way too long without content

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I was watching a video of streamers playing custom matches of OW2 together and someone made a quip about Zen's healing being better than Mercy's now, which I intend to look at

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

that's crazy. are you gonna pay that much? I was just gonna buy the battle pass maybe personally

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

verbal enema posted:

Do my skins carry over

si

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Frozen Peach posted:

hahahaha us plebes with dual acconts are locked out

i merged mine but i'm in queue just fine right now

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

ah poo poo man the queue seems to just be cycling from 30000 to 0 and back again

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/Qwik/status/1577396593153564672?s=20&t=t6GDatEbL_OR2P9166mSUA

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

OW1 players getting Kiriko without grind was all bullshit then I see.

Nice. Nice.

Also cool to see that even people in here are falling for thist traps.

what thirst trap

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Squeezy Farm posted:

This . Honestly if you haven't cranked one off to the OW cast you shouldn't be allowed to post here.

:goofy:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's just me being salty but I really don't like Orisa planting her feet and stopping a rein charge. Yeah I saw the cinema, yeah I should know it's going to happen, but damnit hockey slamming the other tank into a nearby wall is like 90% of my initiation.

Is that still in 2? I heard she had a spear but I thought it replaced the barrier?

I recommend not charging in so often. you're your team's only big boy now: don't leave them in the dust!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it'll be great when I stop being punished for merging accounts and I'm allowed to play

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Brigitte's someone I wanna play with whenever they decide to let me in. taking away the stun seems brutal

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

TF2 had a mode where both teams push a cart in opposite directions didn't they? Or was it two carts on two tracks?

Also hasn't a tank always been a "better fighter" than most DPSs barring things like Reaper the Tank Killer? The DPS thing isn't actually raw brawling ability it's mobility, right?

Like, most DPS aren't happy facing most tanks in anything like a one on one fight, right? Am I just completely off base on that?

it's more complicated than that, but especially in 5v5 tanks are deliberately designed to take space through being a big threat. not every duel is gonna go the same way though

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

lol

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

dumb question, do I keep all my skins and poo poo from OW1? I logged in on my PS5 last night and my Blizzard account appears to be linked but it didn't look like anything carried over.

yeah but it looks like it's taking time for everybody's stuff to move over

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

teagone posted:

Emongg placed Master 5 on his tank queue if anyone cares! Lol. So most top 500/GMs are getting placed low-to-mid masters.

gently caress. in a month, when I'm finally allowed to play, I'm gonna get like fuckin silver or gold

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

despite whatever they posted last night, I still can't log in on console after merging my accounts. I'll laugh if my account is just corrupted or something

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Endorph posted:

https://www.inverse.com/gaming/overwatch-2-gender-verification-system

lol at the GENDER VERIFICATION SYSTEM for a trans overwatch 2 tournament, thanks blizzard. foot, mouth.

I'm confused as to why it's necessary in the first place

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I don't watch owl often at all but any time I've seen it it's basically all very cis-looking Korean boys. are there even females or trans competitors at this point? why announce that?

e: oh it's for a tournament specifically for marginalized identities. but why do verification then

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

for the record, account merge issues seem to be fixed now. I can finally play

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's harder to be a bitch in this game when everyone can see everyone else's stats

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm trying to sign in on PS5 and it's immediately kicking me out with a LC-208, like before the account merge fix. I swear to God

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

dogstile posted:

I picked this up again and I expected to have a ton of hot takes, but really this just feels like overwatch designed by people who kinda sucked at overwatch.

Don't get me wrong ranked deathwatch is fun but with the lack of negation abilities everyone's just getting loving dunked on constantly. It's really funny.

E: also I guess they did an mmr reset? I was 4300 on every role and it dunked me in plat 4. This is gonna suck for a lot of people if I keep playing and decide to climb :v:

everyone's set back a couple tiers on purpose

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I had a huge laugh when I was finally playing a Doomfist the other day as Orisa and realized his block ability didn't protect him from my javelin. that's awful

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Genji wouldn't quite be as ubiquitous if Torbjorn was playable

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Queue times are even worse than they were in OW1

so are you enjoying this game, or

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

depends on your rank

I've been finding that my actual queue times are regularly less than what's advertised

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Shoegazing posted:

Someone tell me not to spend 20 dollars on a skin

don't.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

abigserve posted:

People tell me to swap off tracer every game even if I've got 30 elims and as much damage as soldier. People are dumb as hell

it don't matter how many elims you've got if your team is losing

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Quotey posted:

I'm going to pin you up against a wall and go Whole Hog on you.

I'm pocketing you

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

yo, can someone drop me some quick absolute noob tips for Lucio or Junkrat before I go do my ranked placements. I played about 15 hours of overwatch 1 when it first came out. I stopped around when Doomfist was added I think so a lot has changed.

I like Lucio because I prefer the aoe healing rather than focusing on team mates directly, and that let's me do sick wall-rides and shoot a bunch. Obviously all my team mates suck as much as me at the moment so I'm finding it hard to make a difference when no one will stick together. Find myself getting taken out by enemy dps because everyone has wandered off separately and they've got me 1 on 1.

With Junkrat I've been finding a bit of success with holding the enemy team back at chokepoints and getting kills on them while staying safe. I use the mines a lot both for jumping around and for getting a finishing hit on an enemy. What else should I be doing? I'm not great with putting my trap in good places either.

i've had a lot of success with junkrat in ow2 and a lot of it has just been learning to turn ahead of where someone is running to fire at where they're going to be and just throwing the trap out in the middle of brawls and lol'ing at enemies who step in them

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Since I've played so little a lot of my games so far have been completely one sided either way. Sometimes I'm doing what you said and just going about lobbing perfect nades into the path of people who run like bots. But other times they're way more unpredictable and their team is just smashing us overall. I'm guessing I'll need to get my mmr up a lot more until games get less lopsided like that as well.

i used to hate playing against junk and finally decided if i can't beat them, i'd join them, so i started forcing him and the more i've played, the better my accuracy with bombs and mine has become. just keep playing

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I really don't understand how ranking works in OW2. I win games and then go down in rank?

you can't just grind up, you have to play better

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Just Chamber posted:

I dont think anything has tilted me more in OW in a long time than playing against a Zarya. I know I shouldn't expect competency from the OW2 team but how the devs didn't see from playtesting how just leagues better she is than any other tank is beyond me. Thank god that patch will be here soon.

edit: Also Sojourn to a lesser degree, lol they aren't patching her

from yesterday, but I've been finding great success fighting Zaryas by switching to Symmetra (admittedly a character I'm already comfortable with). you just laser beam her to death while ramping up on her bubbles, it's kind of like giving her a taste of her own medicine. especially effective if you have someone who will burst her on your mark

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

BabyRyoga posted:

In ow1, that's absolutely what you would do to destroy Zarya. In ow2 however, she is gonna focus melt you unless you have a pocket. You don't get ammo back anymore which means you have less pressure, and there is one more bubble potentially to burn through.

I don't run out of ammo while beaming her down, personally. Sym's my go-to pick against her

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I miss pre-rework Symmetra. Gone but not forgotten Shield Generator.

I think the Shield Generator was as of Sym 2.0, right? and you could pick between either the tele or the generator

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Good for you.
I'm sure Bobby Kotick appreciates the refill on his cocaine bucket.

your relentless negativity is noted. cut it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

I apologize for not being more positive about getting screwed by your favorite corporations. I'll do better next time I promise.

every post you make sucks rear end and is the same type of poo poo. I challenge you to say something new or make a new form of criticism