Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

The Midniter posted:

Is there any counter to Ball? Junk’s trap maybe? He’s so drat slippery.
In addition to the other Wrecking Ball counters that others have mentioned, I find that a charge from Reinhardt will shut down his momentum really quickly.

Dick Jones posted:

Are there any effective counters to a beam-heavy team like Zarya, Sym, Mei, Moira, [support #2]? I ran into this as a tank and no matter who I switched to I got ruthlessly microwaved.
I'm a Silver on my best day, so grain of salt, but I usually try to counter this with mobility-oriented characters. One of my go-to characters is Winston, and if I'm being crowded by Mei, for instance, I'll drop a shield to create a sort of cage around her, jump away, ping her, and peck at her with my alt fire until my teammates start giving her attention. The combination of Winston's leap and bubble means that he can effectively be in two places at once.

I might also try to use Zarya's barriers if I or a teammate is getting crowded a lot. The fact that she can use two self barriers in a row or two projected barriers in a row, depending on who's the one being microwaved, makes her a lot more versatile than in OW1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Jimbot posted:

That win 3 as 3 is such a dumb goddamn weekly and the counter doesn't help poo poo. It doesn't even track the individual wins on each role. It only counts up if you win them in groups. So you have to win as tank, dps and support in order for it to count up.
In the background it counts the wins correctly, but the way it displays them is glitched. The counter on the Challenges screen is supposed to show you an individual number for how many matches you've won in each role, but currently the number it shows in each of those three places is actually the number of roles that you've completed the challenge for. So if you've won three games in two of the three roles, it just shows "2/3" in each of the three spots, presumably because some UI programmer referenced the wrong variable there. I hope that explanation makes sense. If you play Competitive, it's easier to use the new "competitive progress" screen to track your wins in each role until they fix it. Before they introduced that screen, I tracked wins on my own and the challenge has always completed when it was supposed to, regardless of the order of wins in each category.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

headcase posted:

I just love comp MH. I have been playing nothing else, except for 1 night of pachimari.

Fast queues, chill games, seems to attract the kind of people i like to play with, leavers are penalized. Try a little hard. Play all the heros.

It is good.
Yeah, I've been enjoying Competitive Mystery Heroes a lot more than I expected to. I have a pretty conservative play style and I take pride in games where I have zero deaths, so playing in a mode where your Ultimate resets down to 25 percent at death really suits me. It's made me more likely to pop off an Ult than most other players, and that's an interesting mechanic that I wouldn't mind seeing explored in other modes.

Aside from that, the random character selection makes me feel good about having already taken the time to learn at least the basics of every character, even if I'm not great with all of them. Because it's ranked it feels like it matters, but because it's random I don't feel the pressure to pick the right Hero for each situation. Coordinating to kill a particular enemy who's been giving your team trouble feels really rewarding when you know they're not going to respawn as the same character. Most importantly, teammates are way less likely to act entitled and spam "need healing" because they know they're going to share healer duties at some point.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Pvt. Parts posted:

Wait you can charge off her walls lol? That's like kinda dumb
Walls and shields, yes. When someone plants a shield in front of you and you need a few seconds to move to where you can hit an enemy, it can be really useful to keep your charge up by brushing the shield with your primary as you move.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

It's occurred to me that with the addition of Lifeweaver, I need to update my definitive ranking of Overwatch characters by how much sense an "I hardly know 'er!" joke based on their names would make. Here's my current draft, subject to change:

1. Reaper
2. Tracer
3. Lifeweaver
4. Widowmaker
5. Everyone else

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

I've been queueing for the last ten minutes just to go to the page that lets me buy coins so I can buy the battle pass, and somehow it keeps putting more people in the queue ahead of me. Not sure why they're making it this hard for me to give them my money.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

I suspect people are underestimating Wifeleaver's healing output, because I had several games today where I had the highest total healing on either team. It feels like it's mostly about finding the rhythm where you keep charging and releasing just as it reaches its maximum, not unlike Symmetra's alt fire. During the second (roughly?) that it takes to charge is when you need to make that split-second decision about who to target, which can involve some juggling that's a little hectic but engaging. Sometimes it's better to release early if someone is about to take a fatal hit or break line of sight, and as far as LOS goes, you luckily have some leeway with how the blossom will pivot around a corner after release. To mitigate the slowed movement speed while charging, you want to use his dash as often as possible. The dash has a very short cooldown and it also refills some of your own health, so using it constantly is the key to both keeping pace with your teammates and keeping your own health topped off.

His damage output is low, rightfully, but it also has a good range and accuracy that makes it useful for suppressing fire, like Lucio. Generally I've only been switching to damage when I don't have any wounded teammates right in front of me, and the passive reload seems designed to encourage frequent switching.

I've been hesitant to use Life Grip too often because it has a very long cooldown and seems like it has the potential to really annoy teammates if used at the wrong time, but luckily Healing Blossom has such a long range that using Life Grip is rarely necessary to save someone. Mostly I save it to bail out those bad tanks with no survival instincts who dive into groups of enemies and are prone to getting themselves killed really quickly.

His Ultimate seems best suited to letting you take a break from healing and going full damage for a few seconds, which is similar to how I use Kiriko's. Haven't found too many uses for the platforms just yet, aside from quick vertical traversal and occasionally desperate attempts at escaping enemies who are right up in your face.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Following the "honeymoon period" of the first couple of days, my experience with Lifeweaver has been mixed, but I'd like to keep trying to figure him out. That's what Quickplay is for, after all. I'm experimenting with creative uses for his platforms, and I think it might be useful in providing cover from aerial attackers. If you drop a platform, step on it, and then step back off, it could potentially protect you from Pharah, or maybe Bastion's air strikes, for a few seconds. I just haven't had enough opportunities to see if this is really viable yet.

All theorycrafting aside, Lúcio's moonwalk from the battle pass is my new favorite emote.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

I didn't dislike the original Wifeleaver kit as much as a lot of people, but the redesign is an improvement in any case. Using primary fire for healing and alt fire for damage is a lot easier, since I was prone to forgetting which weapon I had out.

The fact that the slowdown now doesn't trigger until one second after your heal shot is fully charged makes it easier to start charging in anticipation of rounding a corner and getting line of sight on an ally. It also gives you more incentive to find a rhythm where you're releasing each shot right at the instant when it fully charges.

One subtle balance change I noticed is that with his dash now activated by jumping in midair, you can't use it to escape Ramattra's vortex because that prevents jumping. Of course, you can always move either yourself or the vortex with a platform. It's definitely not enough of a disadvantage to justify switching back to the legacy control scheme, but it's nice that they have that as an option for people who want it.

Finding new uses for platforms is still fun. The other day I used one to block Orisa's ult by lifting her into the air, twice in the same game, and I'm sure it annoyed her.

Talantis is a little bland, but there's at least one interesting idea in its gimmickry. The height of the center platform relative to the starting area is higher than any vertical distance in the official maps, and in theory it's a fun idea to have a big vertical space for flying characters to play around in. In practice, though, the whole lower section seems irrelevant to controlling the map.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

d0grent posted:

in other news, in a new episode of "why did they change this", you can no longer look at the match score while the POTG plays.
This is annoying, but a workaround of sorts is that if you start holding the key before the victory poses show up (while either "Victory" or "Defeat" is showing on your screen), you can continue holding the key to keep reading the scoreboard while the POTG plays.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

I'm a little embarrassed at how long it took me to realize that you can fire both of Mauga's miniguns at the same time. It's a good way to build up that critical damage bonus and reap the benefits of it immediately (versus spraying someone with the primary and then switching to secondary when they're on fire), but it only seems useful at close range since it greatly increases the spread of both guns. I haven't gotten a good feel for how to be effective with him yet -- most tanks either have more mobility or an ability to manage their own health, but having neither, Mauga seems a little more dependent on pocket healing in my experience so far.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Oh for sure, I'm just saying "Mauga has no mobility" is flat out wrong . His charge is fast, has an extremely tight turning circle, and can be self-cancelled in two ways - just stopping, or an early stomp. In no world is that "no mobility".
To be fair, what I said was "most tanks either have more mobility or an ability to manage their own health", but you're not wrong -- I think I was underestimating the utility of Mauga's charge at the time. My go-to tank is Winston, so I might have a skewed idea of how much mobility a tank should have. Having played around with Mauga a little more, I don't find his charge as easy to control as Reinhardt's, but I'm getting used to it. I've been finding the stomp useful for clearing corners when you suspect there are going to be enemies on the other side. Charging can also be useful for retreating, but it's a tough call sometimes because you can end up leaving your squishies in between you and and the enemies when running away, if your team hasn't already fled first. Winston, for instance, can at least drop a shield for his allies before retreating. Offensively, it can be useful for breaking up the enemy's front line, but again, this still feels very dependent on getting a lot of healer attention, since he's a big target without a shield. His damage buff from inflicting critical damage gets canceled out pretty quickly when you're getting a lot of enemy attention.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

SpeakSlow posted:

See now, I'm supposed to be everyone's heal bitch, not just yours, uce.
Come on now, just because he's Samoan doesn't mean he has to be an Uso. The stomp is clearly a Seth Rollins move.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Anyone else getting a message that says, "Some of your hero customization is unavailable in this instance" in your feed when starting games? People on Reddit are saying that this happened when Mauga was added to the game files but before he was enabled/visible, so this might mean that they've quietly added Venture to the live code to prepare for their release.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Am I alone in thinking that this sign says, "Infowars" every time I see it on New Queen Street?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

You see what you want to see, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Is there a way to default not join + hide text chat?
Options > Social > Text Chat

I've been playing with both voice and text chat turned off for a long time, and it's been blissful. It makes it difficult to coordinate with teammates since I almost exclusively solo queue, but I make heavy use of the ping system, and at my rank people rarely have anything insightful to say.