Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

I'm personally of the opinion that abilities that negate other abilities are bad design. Always feel terrible to have your big moment that takes several minutes of build-up totally invalidated.

Isn't that half of what makes the game? Ebb and flow of cooldowns to make cool plays? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
God, please don't add that to Mystery Heroes. It's the only mode I play in OW2 and the place I can pretend they didn't take out off-tank and get away with it. Used to be a tank (monkey, dva, zarya, and sigma) duo having a chill time in OW1 and welp, can't have that in OW2 now.

Anyway, back to Mystery Heroes: The thing with Mystery Heroes, IMO (and I probably play this game differently than most people, considering apparently everyone hated tanking in OW1 lol), is that the random heroes adds additional layers to solve that you won't get in QP/Comp. You gotta figure out how you're gonna beat some non-standard set of 5 heroes with your non-standard set of 5. Or maybe it's you gotta context switch from being a tank to being a sniper. Etc. Sure, there are times when it's just entirely hopeless cuz RNG has given the other team their perfect comp that matches both the players and the map vs your terrible RNG'd heroes for players that have 0 minutes in 'em, but hey, that's Mystery Heroes, you shrug it off and move on. That and Mystery Heroes can epitomize "classic Overwatch 99%-99% comeback" which are equally frustrating and amazing to be a part of, depending on which side you're on. All that to say, you shorten the time, there's less of the last thing happening and less time to actually figure out how to maneuver.

On the subject of the passive heal as a standalone thing, I think it'll be good for Mystery Heroes if you can manage to escape with a hero you like/is key for that moment, but in the actual game, I'd worry that it, along with the pre-tuned Ilari, is indicative of a slow boil to homogenization.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Yeah, unless one of 'em gets too tunnel visioned and make a critical mistake, those are pretty rough. Or if your team dies enough to roll something useful but then you've given the other team ults you have to then bait out...

Reminds me of being on attack on Havana where defense had 2 Mercy's out of the gate. We killed a tank and they both tried to res them, which we could capitalize and take them out too to take point one. Best case scenario, but can take forever to happen if at all.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Like a One Punch Man Doomfist skin?

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
They gotta load in, stare at the hero select screen for a good 5-10 seconds before hopefully realizing they got dropped into backfill. That is, if they didn't go afk/alt-tab assuming a normal queue time.

Not the player's fault; game is terrible about telling you that you're backfilling.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Shoulda taken out a DPS (hahaha yeah right) since they're making everything homogenize towards DPS anyway.

I do find that after some team fights or failed flanks that I can get away from, I'll be heading towards a health pack and I won't have to pick it up because my passive healing (as DPS usually) just finished healing my ~50% or so missing hp. Yes, I've disengaged from the fight at this point but if I'm away from healers and had no passive healing and the health pack was on cooldown, then I could've been hunted down more easily...

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

Sloppy posted:

Yeah, feels weird being in tank mode as Bastion and getting outgunned by a Mauga.

God, that reminds me that I have to correct myself every time when I hear Mauga's going full blast cuz my brain thinks it's a Bastion at first.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
It is super odd to me that they tried so hard to force the whole roster to work together in PvE in some sort of "we're Overwatch!" kind of way. Should've just kept to their backgrounds and made mini modes off of them.

Cass and Ashe heist simulator. Lucio DJ Hero. Mei survival game.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
I left during setup, before doors opened, and got a 5 min penalty for doing so the first time that day/session. Not sure if it's because I accidentally shot before doing so and if I had just hit escape instead of left clicked, I would've been fine. I just closed out for the night and went to play something else. All good.

(Last update, I waited out the 5 seconds during setup and never got a penalty, but I had never accidentally left clicked so I dunno if I'm being superstitious paranoid about some sort of "you've registered your presence in the game and you want to leave? no! penalty for you!" mechanic.)

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

im depressed lol posted:

During Quickplay, you can leave before you are able to move your hero; the hero selection screen. There are two countdown timers. You can leave during the first setup countdown timer before you are officially "in". You can quickly tell if you can leave and aren't "in" if you can change your skin via the pulldown menu near the top-right portion of the screen. If you can't change your skin you can't leave if you want to avoid the leaver penalty.

If you happen to join the game after the first countdown timer has runout you will get the leaver penalty, even if you never pick a hero and just leave. You're technically grandfathered "in" as backfill at that point to the game.

-If the text above hero select reads-
ASSEMBLE YOUR TEAM: can leave
PREPARE TO ATTACK/DEFEND: leaver penalty
Video of me doing it multiple times in a row:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFKWm_5VKHs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFKWm_5VKHs
Edit: To further clarify it's before you are "in control" but can still click hero portraits and toggle-spam to your teammates who you want to play. I personally like all the gamemodes well enough to never do this but hey the option is there if you hate that loving push robot mode or whatever. Sure you have to re-queue but an extra minute or two is probably better than the full ten a mode you don't like could go.

The thinking I imagine about letting you leave during that "SETUP" phase is backfill can happen instantaneously or take like 30 seconds, which is more than enough time usually to get another player before the round truly "starts" & you don't have the ult disadvantage & "match history/team cohesion sense disparity" of someone leaving in the middle of the game.

Also my posts here; reverse chronology. I should have been more clear, my apologies I kinda sprinkled it out over a few posts.

Thanks for the research! I think "ASSEMBLE YOUR TEAM" will be the most relevant for me in mystery heroes.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

Does anyone ITT remember when the game used to have 2 tanks per team?

Good times, good times.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Could they have kept 2 tanks if they gave shields a pool of health that was shared among the team's shield tanks? Total pool is, I dunno, health of a Rein shield * 1.5? Then if you had an old Orisa (or whatever nowadays) + Rein shield the pool would be divided by 2?

More places a shield could be, but they'd be easier to shoot through individually. (Assuming the 2 tank issue was purely a shields issue)

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

Rawrbomb posted:

Going to 6v6 is as many if not more problems with balance, as staying in 5v5. Like, tanks would need a complete overhaul to be viable today if we go to 6v6. Even in open queue where they have less health, they're not great there either, until you hit some GOATS comp. Which is ALSO not what we're trying to go for right?

I at least enjoyed watching pro-level GOATS. Seeing who made the first mistake before it all went downhill was fun. Wasn't doing comp at the time so can't say how that would've performed in game.

Though, I fully acknowledge being an outlier who enjoys playing tanks and had someone to duo with. We usually ended up Winston/Dva, [Sigma,Orisa]/[Zar,Dva]

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Slowly approaching the point where the POTG's will involve characters drinking Pepsin and trying to sell you Doritos.

And a leaver penalty if you try to skip out on those specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Rumor has it Valve's working on a 6v6 hero shooter

I dunno, it looks more like one of those not-Dota mobas than a not-Overwatch:

https://x.com/gabefollower/status/1791311128422748285

https://x.com/gabefollower/status/1791110448114188557

Re: Marvel Heroes, from watching it, I thought there were some good ideas. The previously mentioned synergies (Team Ups) that they could use as another lever to encourage people play certain characters or maybe to not fall into a particular meta? And I really liked the Dr Strange portal which you can place seemingly anywhere and both teams can use it to go through and shoot through. But the big thing will be how they're gonna distribute new characters, monetization, etc etc.