Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Gee, I wonder why all these streamers are able to login to the game, but none of us are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Gonna be interesting to see how they do the event skins. I guess that's where we will really see if they are doubling down on the monetization if they have new event skins that are only purchasable.

Still haven't been able to get into the game even once, hours later.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Got in and the first game I played was for some reason a 3 v 5 that went the whole way without adding 2 other players to our team. GOTY

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Gameplay seems higher skill ceiling for sure, but I wanna say

If you solo queue, you are probably hosed. This game is twice as poo poo to play as OW1 if you aren't on the same page as the rest of your team. Granted, there is one less person per team so that is more likely to happen, but i've had some absolutely miserable games due to no team cohesion. Ultimately, that is why most of the people I know that were heavy into OW1 ended up quiting the game; it got to the point where it was a chore to play anything but a premade.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I said come in! posted:

So the game will just end up falling into the same trap as before because Blizzard learned nothing, its population will drop off to almost nothing, and it'll get rebranded yet again as Overwatch 3. Good to know this now rather than later.

Probably. The game is honestly balanced around its own esports bubble that only has enough room for competitive teams; the average gamer will get tired of this poo poo in weeks.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Wheeee posted:

While this is true, Overwatch has always been and for now still is fun to play in Mystery Heroes and Open Quickplay, even more so now that some of the worst design elements such as shields and 2cp maps have been severely reduced if not removed.

You'd have to be loving stupid to take Overwatch seriously or treat it at all competitively, but it's a fun casual arena shooter and even in 2022 whenever I'd fire it up to play some arcade modes queue times were fast.

There probably won't be a Mystery Heroes; the tank role is fundamentally too strong for a mode where random heroes are locked to be anywhere near playable; you absolutely cannot punish a tank solo anymore, they will win 1v1 duels with any character in the game that isnt a tank.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack Trades posted:

That's the case with every Tank now basically.

Yeah, the more I play the game the more it seems like this is a terrible idea.

It feels fresh at first, but when a tank is out of position and at half health for the 30th time and takes a duel 1v1 against a DPS that tries to punish them and wins with their personal CDs alone for survival, it starts to get pretty unfun. One of my mains is Sym who CLEARLY has gotten the short end of the stick in this game, but tanks like Orisa and Doomfist just basically tank my fully charged beam and 3 turrets for like 5 seconds straight and live, then take me from 225 health > 0 in like 2 seconds.

There was an instance where I was playing Pharah and an Orisa survived through my entire ult by popping CDs and having a mercy beaming them. It's a little ridiculous.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack Trades posted:

Sym was always my main DPS and she's feels so bad now. She has no defensive abilities, and she always had to have a shields or at least a large back to hide behind and OW2 has neither.

Yeah, I thought the new DPS passive they announced would be perfect for her, since it gives her momentum on beam kills, but TBH, I haven't really noticed it. I'm sure if I pull a big flank and eliminate their entire backline it helps, but the char is fundamentally underpowered. It used to be a character that punishes either greediness or stagnation on tanks, now i'm not sure what it does.

And it doesn't really end with her, i'm not too sure what reaper does anymore either. The same thing with flanks, I suppose, but you can't duel against hogs or DVAs with him anymore. Mei? Doesn't do anything.

There is a pattern with characters that essentially lost something huge they had in OW1 vs characters that didn't; look at Tracer, Soldier, or Genji. They are top of the chain because they are basically the same they were, while probably half or more of the DPS role is notably worse than they were in OW1, while all tanks are stronger. Even cowboy man is pretty weak right now, because he has no flashbang (and let's be honest, the sticky nade is still annoying, just no where near as good as the bang). Saying it's a change is more of an understatement than people seem to realize or admit at first.

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 5, 2022

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Also, Re: aiming, because it has been way harder to aim in OW2, but also thought maybe I was just getting old or bad at games or something:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/xw23i0/is_it_just_me_or_does_ow2_feel_weird/

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

comedyblissoption posted:

overwatch league had a woman player and did not need to segregate her into her own league

I don't know if her team ever won even one match while she was on it, unfortunately. But I also don't think that was her fault, at all.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Apparently there are also 2 screen shake options you should turn off in the settings.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Or you could just mute and report them. That doesn't require tremendous resources or questionable design decisions that can be used for financial analytics.

These companies really don't want to hire 100 or so people and devote an office in their giant HQ building to verifying reports and policing the game, do they. In the 80s or 90s, it would essentially be mandatory, but just automating certain parts of the process and saving on the human factor at the expense of being less accurate is the way to go to squeeze out slightly more profit.

DrBox posted:

A report system without any way to verify the reports would lead to abuse and false bans. With the transcripts they get flagged on report and someone can read the toxic chat and take action.

I'm tired of "mute and move on". That's just passing the buck to the next team these assholes queue into. I want it recorded and actioned. There's no expectation of privacy in the public in game comms. Take off your tinfoil hat.

You say "would lead to abuse and false bans" in the potential sense, not as if Blizzard (and every other tech company, Youtube, etc) engage in this practice already.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Vermain posted:

"some guys in an office" works as a strategy when you have a manageable volume of daily reports, but it will categorically not work for a game of overwatch's size and scale

riot had a blog update regarding their own report automation plans wherein they mention that, across their games, they get something in the range of 3 billion reports a year. overwatch will obviously not get quite that many, but there's simply no option except to automate it if you want reports addressed in anything resembling a timely manner when voice is added in to the mix

I'd like to think there is some level of "we do this because we can get away with it" when it comes to toxic behavior in games, though. When companies start automating poo poo, less people overall get banned, which leads to more people being lovely. Also, punishing false reports would be a thing. Suddenly, 3 billion reports goes down to hundreds of millions, or less. Riot has that whole community review thing, where players are fed reports to review, right? I don't really play any of their games, but that actually sounds kinda cool.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DrBox posted:

I'm not sure what you mean. There are two options.

I mean that a lot of tech companies just ban people automatically when communities of other people brigade and mass report things. You see it in youtuber and twitch streamer drama all the time. You pretty much can't go a week or two without some higher profile youtuber in some category of content creation getting a video flagged for "nudity" or something when it's clear there isn't any in the video. Transcribing is better for sure, but it still does definitely need human review. Ideally, a human should check the transcript AND listen to the original for actual verification to account for accents/etc.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Kiriko just looks like a Summer Matsuri skin for tracer.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
A company with a diversity scoring system made the most white-washed "japanese" character imaginable.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DrBox posted:

What are you looking for here? Thick accented voice lines? They literally made every ability tie-in to her ~Japanese heritage~.

Not a character that looks like the twin sister of a British character from the same game.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Kiriko's japanese accent is fine. But her white accent is too white. I guess? I dunno, something just feels way off.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lol 3 japanese characters in a row that are ninja gangsters

Isn't that what she literally is, according to her bio? Slight warp of the gangster part

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I just learned that doomfist can get graved and tank an entire hanzo dragon and kiri head shotting him on his own cooldowns. That's great

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack Trades posted:

None of them are fat though.

Are you fat shaming? You are lucky my gun and my backup gun are in the gunshop for cleaning.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack Trades posted:

Because DPS roles shouldn't be able to do anything.

is what is feels like, tbh

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack Trades posted:

Most DPS are in the best spot they have ever been, y'all can just murder poo poo from half the map away and there's nothing that anyone can stop you, and y'all still complaining?

Literally every tank got a huge buff, and every support got a sizable buff, while most of the DPS got a huge nerf in some way, so i'm not sure I understand this logic. The few DPS that didn't get nerfed (like Genji, Soldier, Soujourn being new, etc) are playable. The rest? Eh...

Like, they made every non-DPS character in the game better, and most of the DPS worse. And some of yall are saying the DPS feel better than in OW1

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
It's truly bizzarro land in this thread lol

Saying that shields being removed is a buff to DPS is somewhat parallel to the guy in OW1 who would have a gold damage medal, but not actually killing anything thinking they are carrying the game. Yes, it makes DPS less frustrating to play in the sense that you can actually hit stuff. The problem is stuff doesn't die, which is a different kind of frustrating. You can't punish tanks anymore unless they REALLY screw up; they will take duels with 2 dps at once and survive off their own CDs, while deleting the DPS since they in most cases have the same damage potential, especially in bursts. They will tank grav+dragons by popping a CD. They have the only CC in the game (in general, a few exceptions).

You essentially have to ignore tanks completely and dive the backline. But supports also self-heal as a passive, so if you can't wreck them immediately, you essentially do nothing. Most of them have way more survivability than DPS and take take duels better than before.

So, what does it all mean? The DPS role has a big problem right now. Granted some of it is because players aren't adapting to the fact that you can't focus tanks in the same situations you could before, and just throwing. Until DPS gets buffed, or more people realize this, it's pretty miserable to play as DPS. It also goes back to what I was concluding a few pages back where teamplay is even more important than in was in OW1, which will lead to many many completely miserable unwinnable games if you aren't stacking.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack Trades posted:

Oh no, you can't outright kill 1 out of 5 enemy players. What a loving horror.

And if 15hps that kicks in after 2 seconds of not taking any damage, is preventing you from killing 200hp squishies then the issue isn't the healing. It's your damage.

Well, I mean, lack of solo-carry potential in any team-based game is always frustrating, right? It just feels like the DPS role has lost a lot of solo-carry potential, whereas the other roles have gained it.

Also, it depends on the support. Supports like Zen are still pretty glass cannon, but many have outs that make them nightmarish to kill. Plus fewer targets means it's more likely that the supports will keep each other alive.

I guess DPS will always have 1v1 DPS on DPS duels where they can feel like their characters are actually balanced properly.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Here's a pretty good video that goes over every change from OW1 to OW2 to watch while the game is down (WHILE YOU ALSO GO OUTSIDE AND GET SOME FRESH AIR NERDS). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgczDOhCqjI

There are even nerfs I didn't realize (like tracer's damage going down).

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Yeah, Sombra might be the only dps that got a pure buff, though its more like a change than a straight up buff. Most of the rest of them just got nerfs. CC and utility was removed and not really replaced.

But if you go through that video, it should be apparent that DPS got the short end of a really short stick compared to other heroes, just in general.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Rein: No longer has his passive because it was given to all tanks by default, has more HP/armor, has two charges of fire strike, ult basically instantly kills anyone who is point blank, can steer charge at ludicrous angles now and stop it at will but it does slightly less damage, slight shield nerf
Mei: Primary fire no longer freezes, but hey, it does slightly less poo poo damage now. Ice walls break easily, ult harder to get

Orisa: Is invincible, has a ranged stun that cancels abilities
Reaper/tracer: damage nerfed for some reason, no additional utility provided

Zen: Can kick people across the universe
McCree: More clunky, has no flash bang, just a weird homing mine thing

I mean, the list goes on and on.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hashy posted:

Mei's ult actually charges faster now because you're doing loads more damage during your primary role of slowing people down

the slow was also nerfed by half

and despite being one of the more tanky dpses, you cant brawl head to head with a tank, they will all delete you.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bottom Liner posted:

Are you literally incapable of contextualizing these changes with the rest of the game or are you really arguing that DPS are strictly worse all around because of what the patch notes have listed for numbers?

I mean I know the answer given how many times you’ve already been corrected by everyone. But still. Lol.

all i'm saying is like 4 months from now, the whole thread is going to be saying that guy was right

or quoting me when I was wrong to rub it in my face

I give it 50/50

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

SorePotato posted:

You can't freeze dudes anymore so what's the point of this character

AND you can't even really wall them either, since it crumbles faster than BOTW weapons.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

verbal enema posted:

Walling teammates away from you to be viciously and repeatedly murdered by the enemy team duh

Ah, wall can't be instantly obliterated if it is your own team's wall. I like the way you think!

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hashy posted:

Mei is about as strong as she's ever been and there are good counterplays to her in a 1v1. Design goal nailed imo

That's really not saying anything, tbh. Sure, you can decimate on her given the right circumstances.

But, she was the lowest pick rate launch hero in OW1, ahead of only Bastion (and Sombra if you include DLC chars). Her win rate was in the bottom 33% as well. There are very few times she was in any kind of established meta. Now they've basically neutered her, and you think she is as strong as she was before, when she was one of the weaker characters in the game.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DoctorJones posted:

it's hilarious they rolled back moira's enfeebling orb from beta. i still believe she's the best dps in the game.

Yeah, just messing around in quickplay with nerds, but they def got dunked on. Also, good, i'd rather have this orb from both a playing as and against perspective of Moira.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Vermain posted:

kiriko is the healer you pick if you want to mechanically flex, in that you have absurd damage for a healer if you can land consistent kunai headshots which is far easier said than done with how slow the fuckers travel and how small their hitbox is

you're otherwise better off playing literally anyone else

Her healing output is poor, and the kunais (which definitely also are hard to hit with) are just rather inconsistent in general. She has a lot of utility though. I think her biggest strength is to play her with a hero like genji or tracer and set up a dive or flank with them using the TP, then TPing back out after you get a kill or are in too deep. The problem I see with her is that the teleport doesn't necessarily put you where you want to be relative to the character you are teleporting to. If there were some way to choose which side (front or back) of the target you teleport to, it would be a big QoL. The invulerability is REALLY good. The ult is goodish but janky (being blocked by stuff like mei ice blocks is a bad design decision).

verbal enema posted:

dont forget its also an aoe cleanse! thats the real power behind that skill

A good way to look at the ability is that it essentially applies reaper's fade effect on everyone for a second. It does more than cleanse and prevent damage as it also displaces your hitboxes (for non-heals), which has some important interactions. I don't know if it gets you out of a JR trap, but I think it gets you out of grav/cryo/etc.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

DoctorJones posted:

i love her so much. most games just feel so unfair what you can get away with

You essentially punish the enemy team for being bad and not dealing with her more than any other healer in terms of raw numbers. But at diamond or masters and above she starts to fall off because its way less likely you can put yourself in risky positions to DPS and still live. Even players in plat will probably hit most of their shots if you test them too much, they just have much shittier positional awareness.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Minera posted:

had a great time laughing at every aspect of this launch

finally played it last night w/ a friend, duo queue support, got a potg on brigette and then out dpsed dps as moira while still topping healing. overwatch! its still bad!

BabyRyoga posted:

You essentially punish the enemy team for being bad and not dealing with her more than any other healer in terms of raw numbers. But at diamond or masters and above she starts to fall off because its way less likely you can put yourself in risky positions to DPS and still live. Even players in plat will probably hit most of their shots if you test them too much, they just have much shittier positional awareness.

re: Moira. If you are popping off with her that much, it's because you are probably playing against bad people

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Are there skins that are just straight up MISSING from the game entirely? I noticed I don't have the Hydra skin for Sym anymore and it just appears to not even be in the game.

Also, why does the McCass gun sound like Pharah firing rockets?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jack Trades posted:

Playing Support is loving miserable in OW2.
I miss the time when Tanks existed.

I think playing support is the only thing that isn't miserable, tbh.

Tank queue is too long
DPSes can't punish tanks like they used to, and if the other DPS in your game doesn't know this, there's a chance your game is lost before it starts. Until everyone learns what DPS chars can and can't do, the chances of any random game being miserable is higher than normal.
Just pick support and play well while it all clears up. Fast queues, potentially the most room for carrying a game if you can play safe while doing the little bit of DPS you need to do to kill targets, and keeping tank alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bottom Liner posted:

This is exactly backwards. There are way less shields and only 1 tank to contend with. Knowing how and when to push them vs when to go for picks and angles is the entire DPS game.

No, it's accurate. If you play DPS with the OW1 mentality, you are probably trying to punish tanks in situations where you have no chance of killing them, and taking duels you will lose.

Not sure how many times it has to be said, but, yes there are fewer shields, but that doesn't mean that stuff dies more often. It just means you hit stuff more often. Most tanks can literally survive (read: basically take no damage from) tires, pulse bombs, dragons, etc just by popping their own CD. That doesn't mean if a tank grossly overcommits, you can't collapse on them with the entire team and nuke them, but that's a pretty big coordinated play by the standards of most OW pubs. The better play is almost always to focus on the non-tank targets first.

Until people learn this, games have a high potential to be miserable. The best way to combat this is to play support where you can direct the amount of impact you have on keeping the right targets alive and adding a bit of burst to the right targets at the right time.