Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Ashcans posted:

I guess this isn't really an OW2 question, but I have 8000 OW coins, tell me the best skins to buy before they're worthless (unless I am too late)

You can still use them for stuff in OW2. It is a bit limited, but there will be uses.

Dapper doomfist and hanzo, red or green power ranger genji, funky bap, the hamster with sunglasses, rooster bastion, skeleton bird bastion, squirt gun torb, cruiser or waverider dva

headcase fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I liked brawl and dive and bastion bunker and goats and OP Brig and OP Moira and OP Zen and OP Ana and OP Mercy and 2cp and role queue and open queue.

I hope I like OW2 as well.

e: forgot about OP Bap. It's funny how the healer power balance drives the meta.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Wheeee posted:

You’re not the only one who keeps trying to hold that line of thought up and to be blunt I hope you’re just Overwatch posting and not actually dull enough to think that either FPS all play the same or that people wanting less MMO design in a shooter are begging for it to be turned into Valorant.

There is no legitimacy to that line of thought, it is flatly stupid on its face, which also makes it good Overwatch posting so idk

I wonder what exactly you think the game should look like. Does junkrat or sym fit into your FPS definition? More than 1/3 of the cast can't headshot. Should hitscan be emphasized or are torb projectiles ok? You want to just delete the tank and support categories or rework them into damage?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Arzachel posted:

Some of the most iconic fps weapons are neither hitscan nor have a head shot multiplier, friend. Tribes Spinfusor, Quake Rocket Launcher, UT Shock combos etc.

Well some people think that autoaim abilities, splash/spam, beams, or tree trunk size projectiles detract from the experience.

I personally think rein is the most fun character, not just to play, but what he brings to the game when someone else plays him. I hope they find a way to bring brawl into the conversation somehow.

headcase fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 3, 2022

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I noticed that Widow was not getting played in OWL the few times I checked in. I guess that is because a genji/lucio duo is pretty much free to roam around and deal with backline squishies, and choosing someone designed to peel or bodyguard is too expensive.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Zedd posted:

Multiplayer games are better without sniping classes.

Agreed. It just seems like it would be a winning proposition with a wide open solo tank noggin sitting there.

headcase fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 3, 2022

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

teagone posted:

I thought you watched Seagull's video? He basically shares this exact sentiment, quoting relevant sources wrt that being what's going to happen with PvE too lol.

I would actually love that. Especially if the experience contributed to the same pool as PvP and there was a chapter every season. I personally play for competitive PvP, but some of the most fun things I've done in OW are unlocking the hardest PvE achievements.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

teagone posted:

:same:

I got all the cheevos for Uprising and Retribution. Beating those on the hardest difficulty (with pubbies no less!) in Story Mode was easily the most fun I've had playing Overwatch tbh. Never got around to Storm Rising though; I stopped playing consistently around that time.

To be honest, Storm Rising was much easier. I think they consciously toned it down from Uprising. Still very fun though. The uprising 80% one was so crazy with a rotating crew of pubbies.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

i'm going to play this again for some reason. did they ever make zenyatta playable?

zen is very good right now.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I love that I can progress and work on challenges in MH. Played 2 games, got tier 2. Had an insane comp of sig/sig/ball/mercy/brig. good times

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I was watching the ML7 stream, and you can log into Asia region, and it still tosses you on your local server. I tried it. Works.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

verbal enema posted:

how do you go about doing that

The little world icon thing above the "play" button on the launcher.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Coward posted:

Just want to confirm that despite all this talk about weird game modes like "competitive" and "quick play", the actual OW game of Mystery Heroes is still there?

If so, anyone able to say how it plays with only 5v5?

Yeah it is a non-arcade quick play mode now, which gives me hopes it will one day be competitive. It was not too bad. If you get 3 tanks and 2 supports, you are in pretty good shape, but I don't think tanks are too far unbalanced.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Wait DVA EDM skin has musical sound effects while boosting and bombing???

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Pattonesque posted:

Weirdly enough even though I own OW1 and did the stuff to migrate and all my old skins are there in OW2, I still have to unlock all the heroes

NBD since it only took four games to get Ana but a little odd

I'd let them know. No reason to go through that.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Minorkos posted:

well either that or they could have designed the maps in such a way that there isn't a constant visual connection to 9 other players, which is the reason people randomly get focused to death an instant or whomped by a roadhog hook from outside their line of sight. but i think blizzard originally designed all the maps like this because in their opinion, a good map is one where you can see your entire team and their healthbars so you can click on them to give them heals and shields and stuff like it's world of warcraft

Yeah because it's not counterstrike. There aren't broken crates laying around everywhere. Most characters are extremely loud and designed for teamwork and close quarters scrums. Colors are bright with cartoony particles making it obvious where everyone is.

People arguing to enable uninhibited solo carry damage role play are wrong. That is not this game. Damage role is enabled by the other two and somewhat weak without them.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

teagone posted:

I was on an 8 game winning streak last night and then lost 9 in a row lmao. Everything must be balanced. The new changes with how your rank is adjusted does wonders for keeping me in-game. Not seeing my SR go down after each loss makes the experience a whole lot less demoralizing.

Yeah I've won my first 6 comp games. I wonder if you started hitting even higher ranked people that logged in for the first time. like if you really wanted to optimize your climb, maybe start two weeks into the season to find people that are actually lower than you.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I've been carried by multiple genjis so far. That ult is wild right now. Dash combo aint bad either.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Maintenance window during the only hours I can play? This game is cursed.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

beer gas canister posted:

How is the 5 player setup working? As a hard Dva main I'm a bit nervous that diving is less viable without a rock solid tanker at my back. loving with enemy tanks and healers is one of my favorite things in all games. It almost scratches that TF2 itch.

I think you will like it. DVA is very strong right now, and all you have to do is just disrupt and eat poo poo. The difference is people are getting used to finding their own cover and tanks just doing their own thing mostly. A good tank will make the other team's life really hard and try to take a lot of attention.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

teagone posted:

So the 7 wins, 20 losses thing for comp... I lost 9 in a row, but notched another win before maintenance a few min ago. Will I still get skill adjusted after 20 losses regardless of wins? Or did it like "reset" since I got that win just now and is back to counting W's instead?

I was confused about that, but I'm pretty sure it will report after 20 losses or 7 wins, whichever comes first. No counter will be reset. So if you get 11 more losses it will report, or if you get 6 more wins before that, it will report.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I am a sick, broken human being, but I enjoy the battlepass progression and daily challenges. It's nice having little goals to optimize and prioritize. I also really don't care about missing skins. It is just a side quest. My only complaint is with the idea of a premium battle pass that costs money. Something about it makes me feel like my daily efforts are sub-optimal if I don't spend that subscription. Oh no, they are in my head :(

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Reaper was already nerfed before in OW1, but he feels even weaker now somehow. The boomier shotgun sound effect does not match up with how little damage he does now. :sigh:

I think he is pretty strong with one caveat. Armor counters him really hard. I noticed he was getting picked a lot in OWL and he is great at back assassination with a get out of jail free card, and self sustain. He also fine shooting at meaty tanks, but don't bother shooting the yellow stuff. Oh yeah and his ult is really only countered by DVA now.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

BabyRyoga posted:

You should pick mercy in situations where you can synergize with a DPS. Ashe, Echo, Pharah, Bastion are pretty good Mercy companions.

edit: probably hog and sigma for tank synergy? They are both tanks that put out good damage, so an incidental boost could be the difference between getting kills and not getting kills

Mercy is probably the hardest to kill in pure bullet hell mode. That plus res can be enough to win fights.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Unlucky7 posted:

So are the queue times sane yet?

Yes. Things are working much better.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I think I would be ok with the weeklies if they went 30/40/50 coins instead of 30/20/10. That last 10 for getting the 2 hardest ones is completely unrewarding.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

All characters are now DPS my friend

Mercy needs to have staff in one hand and pistol in the other. Staff does both beams on right click, pistol shoots on left click.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

yessss

Only registered members can see post attachments!

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Have you been skipping ranks? I qualified at bronze 1 and then went silver 4 for going 6-1. I guess I skipped silver 5?

Also, I really started taking to Ana those 7 games. She is so impactful even if she is getting double dived.

headcase fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 10, 2022

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Just Chamber posted:

This video kinds proved he's not, especially if this is a so called "god" of Doomfist. He's a pretty bad dps and a bad tank, he's in a weird middle ground where he's just not really good at either.

It looked pretty amazing to me. He had the healers occupied like 90% of the time and all the rest of his team had to do was take free shots at anyone that was on the wrong side of him. This is the definition of tanking.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Cephas posted:

I love hunting for headshots, but Kiriko's kit feels so passive and lacks impact. Big mistake to not give her Yuffie's gigantic shuriken imo.

This could be me misinterpreting what I saw on ML7's stream, but I think her impact comes from playing like a ninja. It all comes down to the wall climb and teleport. Genji is one of the strongest heros right now, and she can enable him like nobody else. Teleport to genji on the back line, wipe the team and teleport back to tank if something goes wrong.

You can't add value by standing behind the tank and taking low probability headshot at long distance. She can go anywhere on the spot and is a perfect pocket for flankers.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

I like how the queues didn't improve for DPS at all, despite all their machinations, they just got worse for Tanks.

I know people say there shouldn't be artificial incentives to play a role because it makes games worse, but I would like to see them give currency away as a reward to queueing.

It would work like this:

The amount of currency you get for flexing scales with how long the longest queue is.
It could get quite large to counter a 15 minute tank queue.
You have to win to get your reward.

headcase fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 10, 2022

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

So when do weeklies reset? at patch time on Tuesday, or Monday night like events and loot box games? If it is Monday, we'll get short changed this week.

I only need to get 2 more team kills, but they have been elusive over the past 5 games or so. What mode do you think is best? I wonder if there is an arcade that racks them up.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Veev posted:

There's a timer on the challenge page, you've got 7 hours.

Mine says 1 day left, while the dailies say 17 hours left, So I think it will be tomorrow afternoon.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Thumbtacks posted:

man torb is REALLY fun now

Really? I found him more fun with 2 tanks and everyone squeezing through the same choke.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

now everyone is relogging in and making massive queues

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Well it definitely felt like work on the last 2, but I did all the weeklies. Got to level 27. I won't do that every week.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I don't see this a lot, but it absolutely owns when you get a torb that places his turret defensively to essentially act as peel for me as a support when you're on an objective defense

yeah the lure of soaking up ult charge is strong, but I think its better to cover the back line in a completely protected position.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

Any idea what your playtime was? I just hit 30 but haven't even bothered looking at the missions or anything, just playing randomly with friends in QP and comp.

Sorry, no idea. Probably less than 20 hours considering 3 nights were just server issues and I can only play dad hours.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

dogstile posted:

I picked this up again and I expected to have a ton of hot takes, but really this just feels like overwatch designed by people who kinda sucked at overwatch.

That is a good way of putting it. I personally liked old OW better, but this is pretty fun too.

dogstile posted:

E: also I guess they did an mmr reset? I was 4300 on every role and it dunked me in plat 4. This is gonna suck for a lot of people if I keep playing and decide to climb :v:

I think for the most part, your hidden MMR matches you against other people that got knocked down and the climb is pretty swift (because there is disparity between the quality of opponents and the SR).

I get why they did this (aside from the monetization engagement). There are going to be a lot of people moving around because of the drastic changes. It's better to have a soft SR reset and let people find their level on the way up.

headcase fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 11, 2022

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Barreft posted:

I wanted to try this game since it's free, but I never played OW1 and their 'new player experience' sounds loving terrible. Are the servers still stable yet at least?

Should be good to go. I would give it a shot. there are an overwhelming amount of heros to choose from anyway. The starter set is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Delsaber posted:

A lot of old unforced errors largely unseen since 2016 are returning to us once again, truly nature is healing

I had 2 matches tonight in which all teams insisted on playing out past the choke on hollywood point A and got rolled. Is there some logic to that? Seems like some weird low tier thinking.