Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

20 team kills sucks; I wasn't feeling well and didn't feel like playing video games this week and after 4ish hours of grinding arcade for 7 wins (which I got), I've progressed teamkills by two. I think I'll just have to live with missing :10cents: of overbux

As an aside open queue being always on in arcade is frustrating, I'm very tired of 2-3 tank deathball

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I think Sigma is still really strong too; he shits out damage and the projected barrier is still useful

Just not quite as the go-to as Zarya (or dva for maps that require vertical mobility)

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

After playing Gundam and having a blast with Methuss I've concluded it's time to let Mercy shoot her pistol while healing

and give her a targeted nuke, thanks in advance

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

DoctorJones posted:

is there any new bad manners tech in overwatch 2?

https://imgur.com/JcuUgp7

yeah, play Zarya in total mayhem

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

DoctorJones posted:

wow, you really have to equip this dumb donut on charm on every single hero, huh?

One of the best QOL things Gundam did was have a button that simply equips a charm on every character at once, and I'm honestly surprised it's not in OW2. I do suspect the decision to add weapon charms was done very late, so the UI dev(s) probably didn't have time to hook it up more intuitively

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

I wish Moira's orb killed instantly and didn't take 4 whole seconds during which even the most paraplegic player could escape from it.

:same: except orisa's ult

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I think the scoreboard made me less frustrated at some of my losses, because I can see just how much we're getting our poo poo stomped. It's made it easier to accept this is just one of those matches, do your best, gg go next etc. and not dwell on it

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

abigserve posted:

The community response was so incredibly negative to the pve mode I'd be surprised if it actually released to be honest

Uh what? The PvE events were historically some of the most popular content ever released. A lot of people, including myself, are very much looking forward to PvE, although I'm also ready to be disappointed.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

BabyRyoga posted:

A realization i've come to spamming support since OW2 launch is that it feels miserable to play it more so than other roles because you tend to see more of just how lovely the other people on your team are playing. It's easily the most frustrating role to play just due to that, and perhaps this is why people tend to play it less on an unconscious level.

As a longtime support main through all of OW1, I'm finding myself quickly burnt out of the role in the OW2 paradigm shift. I find it exhausting and generally unrewarding.

It doesn't help that there's only eight total healers so my choices are limited, and of those eight there's maybe 3 or 4 I actually find interesting to play and I suck with my favorite of the pack (Ana - most played by far but only 47% win rate :sigh:)

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

sounds like the core experience to me :shrug:

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I often feel like if I had been able to hang on for *just* another second or two, I could potentially save myself with commanding shout. I would also really like to see her unique passive buffed instead of touching commanding shout, though.

That said, the biggest buff they could give JQ is nerfing Zarya

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Scholtz posted:

too bad the framework for it is nowhere in the game's code

As far as I know, omitting team status on the HUD in PvP is a deliberate decision. I don't understand the reasoning nor agree with the decision either, especially since as a tank you're always in the front and it's sometimes tough to tell what's going on behind you. I like the teammate death warning sound but it's not enough.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

bagrada posted:

Which new map was this actually broken on, because she's been doing that as long as the game has existed.

What I think contributed was Mei being able to get partially inside geometry due to how ice wall now interacts with her, and then Kiriko could teleport to her and end up fully inside map geo and be able to throw kunai with impunity. I know it was possible on Paradiso, and likely other maps

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

teagone posted:

Yeah I don’t think it’s ever been mentioned before today that omnic life is finite, right? Whenever one dies, there is no replacement.

Wasn't Orisa born from a rebuilt and upgraded OR15 bot? Or did some mysterious happening occur during whatever indeterminate time passed between OW1 and OW2 that caused their version of the Krogan genophage?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

It's not like it instantly kills Pharah or Echo, whom are in themselves even harder counters to many characters. Tanks except maybe Dva all have trouble with flyers so I see no issue with adding an option for a tank player to swap to if they need to deal with it themselves because their genji, junk, and mercy won't swap

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Oh yeah, OW1 committed the unforgivable sin of not being cawadooty.
I'm glad they fixed that for OW2.

I can't read the tone of your post but I can confirm shooting shields was just plain boring and that OW2, at least for now, gives me way stronger old-school FPS vibes and I'm having a lot of fun with it, some balance qualms aside

(Sorry if I am out of pocket here)

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

The Midniter posted:

I love playing tank and have just really fallen in love with Orisa's new kit. Aside from the gigantic hitbox and absolutely worthless ult, are there any downsides to playing her (as opposed to another tank, a la no shield/not being Zarya) that I'm missing?

I think she's a ton of fun on any map where a ground-based tank works, just keep in mind she doesn't have good mobility despite being a very aggressive character, and is extremely vulnerable if caught without cooldowns because her head is gigantic. She's also particularly vulnerable to Sombra hack since Fortify can't block it and it interrupts Javelin Spin, although that will be much less of a problem after tomorrow.

Her ult, obviously, is one of the weaker ones in the game but isn't completely useless imo. She builds it fast, and it pulls and slows and often forces at least one good support cooldown (suzu, lamp, luico amp, etc) or DPS mobility cooldown to escape, but you generally need someone to combo with.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

It's also never worthless to drop a window for yourself and kill 80% of the cast in one or two bursts

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

this game was a lot more fun before everyone found out about tracer's falloff bug and mei was deleted. Every game is pure torture now

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I really don't think she's broken; if anything, Orisa is mostly fine. She has zero mobility and is entirely reliant on her cooldowns (particularly Fortify) to not get melted instantly due to her gigantic head hotbox. And, as many noted, her ult is fairly middling as far as tanks go.

She's my favorite hero in the game though; javelin is incredible and she's a rush to play, but I also think she's pretty easy to shut down because she doesn't do a ton to directly defend her backline.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I much prefer the gameplay and pace of OW2 over 1 because it actually feels like a shooter game again and not a MOBA, but there's obviously still some unresolved issues carried over from OW1 that should be addressed, like critical hit damage/1shot potential, lack of information/guidance ingame to help you stay with your team, and some individual characters (like Ball) don't mesh well with the 5v5 single tank format.

It also doesn't help that the game hasn't even gone a week without a major bug affecting one or more characters, so it also just feels janky right now with Tracer's insane range and Pharah gaining ults 50% faster, and Sojourn working as intended. All the alternative game modes allowing open queue also feels bad because it's just all tanks all day.

That is all to say I still prefer this over shooting shields all day

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

https://youtu.be/9b0w0PlDBaM

You might be on to something.

Tl;Dr Blizzard devs want to wait for data to come in to tell them the balance is bad instead of just listening to OW veterans who know that these are bad development decisions before they are even implemented.

This is the correct way to do things though :confused:

Just because they're good at the game doesn't mean they understand balance and design. I've heard a lot of dogshit ideas from veterans.

Besides, there's private discord servers where content creators and other high-level folks can chat with blizzard devs and community managers. They interact and get feedback constantly.

I don't like some things in OW2 and I don't love the way they're handling some balance decisions but I also don't trust gamers to do or know any better.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 25, 2022

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

dogstile posted:

I'd have more faith in this if blizzard didn't repeatedly ignore my "hey brig armour is bugged here's my proof" messages for over a loving year.

Yeah that sucked and obviously it's not all perfect - but nothing is. I had assumed Pharah's ult charge bug or Tracer's falloff (for example) were already known but apparently not, which surprised me.

Also re: armor bug, I have no idea how complicated OW's systems are but if I know anything about dev (which is not a lot, admittedly), sometimes bugs that seem really simple are really fuckin hard to root out even if the issue is known or there's a testcase for it. I worked on a game that has an exploit involving a fundamental building block of the entire inventory system, which to fully resolve would essentially require a rewrite of the whole thing, which is...not very feasible.

In any case the product we currently have as Overwatch 2 was slapped together incredibly quickly so there's a lot of weird janky poo poo I'm hoping they address. I do like that blizz seems to be making more of an effort to talk about these sorts of issues openly at least. The bar is underground though after the near-total comms blackout before OW2 PvP had to get ramped up.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 25, 2022

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Countblanc posted:

headshots normally do 2x right? it looks like that's what this does - he shoots the cassidy and zen for the same duration and the cassidy goes to just above half health. i assume the "increased damage on a headshot" line is simply pointing out that it can headshot, which is not universally true for projectile/beams (I'm honestly not sure which of these that is lol)

It's the latter, as half the tanks can't crit and beams also normally can't. It's just written poorly - he should have just said "it can headshot"

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Rick posted:

Competitive trip report

1-7 Support (where I made it to gold in OW1)
2-2 Tank
1-0 DPS

I guess I'm not even a mediocre support player anymore. Thank you for freeing me Blizzard.

It's just as likely you're actually not bad at support but due to the nature of OW2 you actually can't do much if your tank/dps suck or if your team stays staggered and disorganized, which is common at low ranks. The old dogma simply doesn't apply here.

As a personal anecdote, I was regularly Diamond/Master in OW1 and I continue to be matched accordingly into OW2 when I quick play, but my support comp rank dropped to Gold after strings of losses. solo support queue is agony, as it's always been.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 9, 2022

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I think JQ is actually pretty alright with the regen buff and ult charge buff; it adds up when you dot multiple characters. I do wish her knife throw were more rewarding on hit, but it does the same damage as a shotgun meatshot plus the bleed and pull so it's not TERRIBLE.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah discord increases all damage including bleed iirc and thus increased healing. Nanoboosting a JQ also accomplishes a similar thing; real nice to combo with Rampage

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Mostly good patch. Ramattra getting movement in Nemesis is exactly what he needed. Felt like rock lee when he took his training weights off, and now he's actually a ton of fun although he really needs Kiriko to cleanse anti.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Bap is lowkey the sojourn of supports and absolutely owns bones a little too hard, but less problematic

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

He also has no barrier in Nemesis form so you can pretty easily gently caress him over with antiheal and sleep or interrupting block with a hook or jav or even charge, as an example. He gets ult maybe too fast and I'd maybe like to see some of that power transferred to like Hungering Vortex but otherwise I don't think he's out of hand in the least bit.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

leftist heap posted:

She stinks right now.

Meanwhile Ana/Brig got played during the Shock v Fuel show matches (granted, Ramattra mirror was forced, but the rest of the comp was not pre-determined). She's annoying to play as but not that bad tbh.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

It's just a flat 20% boost in Nemesis form; he doesn't go any faster on top of that during his ult since it just turns him into Nemesis. I would prefer his ult cost be increased and/or the radius reduced, since it's one of the quickest ults to charge in the game.

Then move some of that power to reducing Ravenous Vortex' cooldown by a couple seconds because that ability is fairly weak in comparison.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Ramattra is tied for I think the 3rd lowest ult charge requirement in the game, not counting baby D.va. I wouldn't cry at that cost going up significantly, or a reduction in its radius or capping its duration after a certain point, like 15 seconds.

That said, Ram also has like zero peel and if you're aggressive with his backline there's not a lot he can do in either form. I'd like to see his E get buffed a bit either with a reduced cooldown or taller column of effect.

Things that work great against Ram in general:

Stuns/CC (Sleep, Javelin, Hook, etc - also turns off block and the Ram player may fumble around after the CC wears off)
Antiheal
Discord
Aggressive play (Dive tank, flankers)
Mei Wall, Ult (Wall can cut him off from his healers, no mobility so can't escape that nor Mei ult)

Sure, Kiriko can cleanse but Suzu has something like a 14 second cooldown while Ana's nades have an 8 second cooldown. Even if one Antiheal gets cleansed you have time to purple Ram again or otherwise hit with another big effect or CC ult.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah it's okay at keeping enemies from running away but that's about it. For it being a skillshot with a slow arcing projectile, long windup, and on a fairly long cooldown, there isn't much nuance or fun ways to express skill using it.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I went 0-7 today and decided to hang it up after my dailies were done. It's rough in the salt mines during the holidays.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

The Midniter posted:

Ram, I have no idea - I think he's still new enough that people are still figuring out his tech which makes him a bit of a question mark from match to match. gently caress his ult, though.

Ram in my experience struggles with very aggressive divey play since he has no peel and only has a barrier in omnic form. He doesn't have strong answers against Doom or Winston or especially Ball, and also gets boned by Antiheal and discord.

I do think his ult could be toned down. My armchair dev $0.02 is his ult cost should be increased significantly, as I believe he's currently at 1680 points which is tied for I think the 4th fastest ult in the game not counting baby Dva. I'd put him up into the 1800-2000+ charge range where most other tank ults sit to begin with.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Honestly they should just go all the way with JQ and just give her the DPS passive instead of the Tank passive. While I'm at it, give rein a tiny speed boost for 2 seconds every time he uses an ability.

Real talk, I think Ball is actually really strong right now and just has a skill floor in the skybox. If Ball is getting buffs in s3, ball mains are gonna be eating good for a while

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Kiriko had less than 50% winrate at high levels, she doesn't need further nerfs. Mercy on the other hand is unhinged and super tedious to deal with and I'm a Support main. Honestly I agree with just about every change in Season 3 except maybe Shatter's direct damage nerf. Brig's changes sound really good and I think a lot of folks are sleeping on her right now. I agree with the Ana nade nerf; I think she's really strong at the moment. Now I just need them to remove the cast time on nano so it doesn't fizzle out when I use it on a target that was alive and their HP drops to 0 before the heal goes off :colbert:

I think the Wrecking Ball changes are maybe too good, the barrier HP thing is fine but buffing piledriver and mines is gonna SUCK. He's already a nightmare to deal with if they're any good.

novaSphere fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 6, 2023

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

MJBuddy posted:

So I haven't played since the mid season patch last season. Now my games are filled with the sounds of clopping feet coming from every direction. What the hell did they do?

There was a bug with footstep SFX last season and I'm assuming in addition to trying to fix that, it introduced a new bug that fucks up footstep audio when dynamic sound changes are supposed to apply (like inside tunnels, closed structures, etc). It's especially bad on Midtown and Junkertown so far. It's been reported

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

After playing a bit I've come to the conclusion Mercy's new critical healing is absolutely loving busted. It's impossible to finish off a low health target now and just makes pocketed DPS even worse to deal with, because you need Burst damage/pick heroes to be able to finish anything.